Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:48 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times

Advertisements

People, you're wrecking my positive vibe here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
OK. But with the way you previously described NJ as a cesspool, I don't think that you'll necessarily escape what you consider a cesspool environment in places such as Chicago, SF, Boston or Philly since they are urban areas. In your heading you say NJ is home to "corruption, high taxes, bad traffic, and no English to be heard". While I disagree very much with that sentiment, I'm not sure that you'll necessarily escape those elements in similar degrees in places such as Chicago, SF, Boston or Philly. While I cannot address the issue of corruption, as I don't know much about those other cities' governments, I can say that in each of your desired cities you will encounter traffic equal to or worse than in NJ, high taxes similar to NJ (except for Philly...cheap there, but for a reason...FILTHY streets), and an immigration situation similar to or worse than in NJ.

You seem like a good guy, but you seem a bit cynical, the type of person that would rather be anywhere other than where you currently are. Just my thoughts...I certainly mean no offense by it, so I hope you don't take it that way
I agree. For the problems DJC has with NJ, he's certainly not going to escape them by going to those other 4 places (in fact, if I were to choose 4 places that had similar issues, those would be at the top!). I mean, corruption? Chicago? HELLO! Taxes? Boston, SF? HELLO! Bad traffic? All 4? HELLO! Seemed like an odd list to me DJC.

All I hear is English in these parts.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
She's a producer in network news, so we won't be going anywhere for a while - this is the top of the food chain for her. I love her more than I will ever love this cesspool known as NJ, so I stick it out for my little Irish girl since she makes me happy and we have a blast together.

Happy in love > miserable NJ.
You just don't get it, do you...

The things you whine and complain about come with the very things that are most important to you.

You complain about:
corruption
bad traffic
insane taxes
no English to be heard (which isn't even true)

So why do you stay?
girlfriend
girlfriend's job in network news
for network news NYC is top of the food chain

So, you apparently carefully selected Jersey City out of NYC, Westchester, CT, Long Island, and any other part of NJ. But beyond that, you ultimately chose to stay in NJ because NJ offers what noplace else offers, which is:

A home where you have a girlfriend who loves living here because, if nothing else, it allows her to work at "the top of the food chain" in network news and is her best employment opportunity.

Apparently, this is SO important to her that it overrides moving someplace that her boyfriend thinks is better for whatever reason. So, NJ is providing her with the home she wants.

In turn, this overrides anything else you want, since you want your girlfriend so much that you will agree to put her career ahead of the other things in your life, as part of putting her ahead of other things in your life.

All the things you hate about NJ are part of what NJ is, INCLUDING:
- that your girlfriend lives here
- that it's the "least of all evils" compared to other parts of NYC metro
- that it's a great place to live for people who want a career in network news, as NYC is the "top of the food chain" for network news

Now, what other part of the nation will you get all those things? Noplace.

In order for you to have your corruption-free state (dream on!), with no bad traffic (dream on again!), where they speak English (what are we speaking here, Chinese???), and where the taxes are super-low (so low that the "top of the food chain" of the network news isn't found anywhere near that state), you have to give up all the things that are most important to you.

It's just as tahiti said - people like you will never be more than a malcontent. Wherever you live you will ignore the real reasons for living there, which are linked directly to what's most important to you in your life. Instead, you will focus on what's negative and whine and complain about it.

As with anyone who whines about NJ, I say "Leave."

Go, get out. What's stopping you?

Oh yeah, the most important things in your life are in NJ... Whenever someone is challenged on why he doesn't leave NJ the truth comes out that there is something about NJ that truly is better and more important than anywhere else in the nation and that's why they stay. That is exactly what happened with you - someone asked why you don't leave, and you admit that the biggest, most important things in your life are right here in NJ, despite your whining.

So why not just acknowledge that and accept it that you love NJ precisely because it's the place where you, yourself, choose to live and choose to stay because for you it is the best place which lets you have the things that are most important to you right now. You may not like high taxes or whatever else, but they can't be that much of a problem to you because YOU, yourself, choose to live with it.

So do the rest of us a favor, and please stop whining about YOUR decision to live in NJ.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:50 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
So do the rest of us a favor, and please stop whining about YOUR decision to live in NJ.

Who said I was whining? I said my reason for living here far outweighs my disdain for NJ, so I deal with it. You question me like you are some sort of superior being and where NJ is the juggernaut.

When you move out of Mom's basement and find the love of your life at the next Star Trek convention you will realize that people stay places for various reasons. I never said I am stuck here BOO HOO WOE IS ME. Get a grip, chief. I support my GF in whatever she wants to do, wherever she wants to do it.

I really don't understand your long winded diatribe because I never trashed NJ on my original post in this thread, but just like the typical "chip on the shoulder" mentality of a lot of Jersey residents, you and tahiti get extremely defensive when people find fault with an area.

Gotta love it, BergenCountyJenny. I see City-Data is now overrun with internet tough guys. Awesome.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:54 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,443 times
Quote:

As with anyone who whines about NJ, I say "Leave."

Or, stay. LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT people make me lulz.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:57 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
Or, stay. LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT people make me lulz.
Or stay, keep whining, and don't be so surprised and offended when a real New Jerseyan tells you off.

Michigan sucks.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,292 times
Talking What was the OP?

this is just c r a z y
geez... what was the question again? Oh yes, What Do You Like About New Jersey?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:20 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,443 times
Quote:
Or stay, keep whining, and don't be so surprised and offended when a real New Jerseyan tells you off.

Michigan sucks.
OMG, letters on a screen told someone off. That's going to leave a mark. What is a "real New Jerseyan"? If you don't have blind love, you lose your legitimacy?

If the complaints are valid, there's nothing wrong with it. This state is far from perfect. It's people that try to cover up the blemishes that allow them to continue.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
but just like the typical "chip on the shoulder" mentality of a lot of Jersey residents, you and tahiti get extremely defensive when people find fault with an area.
Don't do that.......................... Jersey takes an absorbent amount of unwarranted crap.
Your assertion is equivalent to me continually beating someone up & then blaming them for constantly flinching.
You know damn well why NJ has a righteous chip on its collective shoulder.
You can like or not like NJ. That's up to you. However, you knew exactly what was going to happen when you came in a "what do you like about NJ" thread & decided to spew negativity. Don't try & play the high road. You wanted this fight & you wanted the exact reaction you received.
Passive aggressive are the words that come to mind.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Quote:

Michigan sucks.
What does Michigan have to do with THIS?

That was a silly and immature blow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey