Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:11 PM

181 posts, read 1,121,882 times

Advertisements

[quote=itznin;9643715]You travel to as many zones as you pay for on your monthly bus pass. If you board the bus and tell the driver where you are going, I'm sure you can just pay the difference if you are going farther than your pass allows.

Bus drivers DO take cash, they appreciate exact change as MOST of the time they don't have adequate change to give you

You will pay a zone charge usually 60-65 cents a zone for local zones but with a intra state bus pass you cannot travel with that pass out of state(NY or PA) and will have to pay the full fare on the bus to NY or PHilly

The Local busses and certain NY and phil busses usually short distance ones require exact change, most of the longer distance buses will give you change

Another note as of Sept you will pay a $3 more to have your pass mailed home a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:17 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
In addition to the SmartCard, you can also use a NY MetroCard on PATH but not on NJ transit buses. So if you are traveling exclusively on PATH and/or the NYC subway, the MetroCard can be used on both.

The same is not true for the SmartCard -- you cannot use a SmartCard on the NYC subway.

I usually carry both!

The Smartcard is cheaper for the path, so long as you buy in packs of 10 or more. They used to be really close, but the Metro cards reduced their bonus for adding $20 or more to the card....so......

Old 07-08-2009, 08:16 AM

181 posts, read 1,121,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmogrover View Post
Wait one more question... you can use the bus pass on light rail? What about NJ transit trains and the path? Can you use it on those w/i zone limits and or pay extra if you go beyond your zone?
The bus passes are accepted on the Hudson bergen LR with a zone 2 or more and the river line and Newark LR Zone 1 pass. They are not accepted on the trains.
The weekly and monthly rail passes with a number on them are valid on the bus up to the zone number on the rail pass

Old 07-18-2009, 01:54 AM

19 posts, read 95,015 times
most NJT buses that go to NY Port Authority DO make change... the local ones don't tho. The only exception I've found is the 108 from Newark to NY Port Authority, u gotta have exact on that one...

Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbiegrrl View Post
most NJT buses that go to NY Port Authority DO make change... the local ones don't tho. The only exception I've found is the 108 from Newark to NY Port Authority, u gotta have exact on that one...
The drivers of the 99S that runs Bayonne - Jersey City - Port Authority will NOT make change, and some of them can be pretty nasty about it! But I think they are still part of the Red & Tan line -- not officially NJ Transit.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:26 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,260 times
I'll put it like this. Jersey Transit is messed up. So messed up, UNLESS you are taking a bus that is going to either NYC or Philly, do NOT even think about putting money in that money meter on the bus. If you do so, you do it at your own risk because for one, you need exact change. for two, you never know which bus driver you are going to have to deal with or the number of bus zones.

If you are going to ride the bus like everyday or almost everyday, you might as well buy yourself a bus pass. I know for a fact that there's 2 zone bus passes. I usually buy those. I don't know the price for them as of now, but last time I remembered they went for 65 bucks. I believe they also have 1 zone, 3 zone, 4 zone, 5 zone bus passes as well as interstate bus passes as well. All you gotta do is just show them the pass and keep it moving. If you are going to do that whole money meter thing, you'll hold up the bus and on top of that, you'll be pressured into hurrying up where you might end up having to catch another bus. You do NOT wanna end up asking people for change either on the bus because that too is a risky situation. I've been kicked off the bus before for not having exact change despite me being short 10 cents. I put like $2 dollars in the meter and I was trying to go 2 zones.

The best thing to do is to go to the nearest bus terminal which sells the bus passes to find out more info. Hope that helps.

And no, you can't use bus passes besides the bus.

Last edited by angerinthenation; 07-18-2009 at 11:37 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 11:32 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbiegrrl View Post
You do NOT take the bus often because they have it written right on the side of the bus before you get on that bus drivers DO NOT carry change and passengers must have exact change. You do not ride the bus often. Don't misinform people. No bus I ever heard of actually carry change for passengers. They usually DON'T.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 21,523 times
Smile Monthly bus pass

How do i get a free monthly bus pass for the month of nov2010

Old 10-30-2010, 02:05 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,364,859 times
Just a bit of clarification:

1) FWIW, my NJ Transit train ticket has ALWAYS been accepted on their buses. Pretty cool. I don't have any experience with it the other way around.

2) NJ Transit tickets will not work on PATH.

3) ONLY the Pay-Per-Ride Metrocards work on the PATH System, not the Easy-Pay, time-based passes, senior or student Metrocards. ONLY the plain vanilla Pay-Per-Rides will work. On PATH, a full-fare of $1.75 will be deducted for each PATH ride taken.

4) PATH also has SmartLink, which can be set up like EZ-Pass as an autoload. SmartLink trips can be purchased one-at-a-trime (why would you?), or in 10-, 20-, and 40-Trip multi-rides (with NO expiration), which gives you about a 25% discount. Also available on SmartLink are 1-Day, 7-Day, and 30-Day unlimited-ride passes.

5) PATH also accepts a Single-Ride Ticket (which must be used within 2-hours of purchase), and newer 2-Trip MetroCard (which can ONLY be used on PATH, NOT NYC Subways). PATH currently also still accepts its QuickCard (which offers the multi-trip packages noted above for SmartLink), but these are soon being phased out, and replaced with a non-refillable limited-use SmartLink Card ... good for about 6-months from purchase date (like QuickCards were/are).

6) For those looking for a regional ticket, good on NJ Transit, PATH and NYCT Subways, note that these agencies are about ready to complete the first pilot of the use of MasterCard and Visa BankCards. It's a bit late to join this pilot, but I'm sure we'll be hearing more about it in the future. NY/NJ TRANSIT Trial | Home

Old 10-31-2010, 07:31 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
In addition to the SmartCard, you can also use a NY MetroCard on PATH but not on NJ transit buses. So if you are traveling exclusively on PATH and/or the NYC subway, the MetroCard can be used on both.

The same is not true for the SmartCard -- you cannot use a SmartCard on the NYC subway.
Eventually this will change, but it hasn't yet. There will be a card that will be usable on all (or most) of the NY/NJ regional transit systems. They've been working on it for a few years now, but the logistics of putting it together are complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey