Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:56 PM

318 posts, read 450,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I thought this was mandated by court rulings and not the government. Who is primarily to blame in your opinion, the courts, or the Corzine administration ?
After he gets done listening to Rush Limbaugh he's gotta answer my question too, and then he can tell me how he feels about Chris Christie having the SAME position on illegal immigrants as Corzine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 04:58 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
What spending did Corzine specifically authorize ?
There are so many spending bonanzas that I wouldn't even know where to begin. Anyone who regularly reads the NJ newspapers can tell you that there has been plenty of unnecessary spending sprees over the last 3 years. Corzine did have the state employees start contributing to their health care, this is true. But that 1.5% pales in comparison to the guaranteed pay raises the employees got in the very same negotiations. I forget how much exactly but it was up around 6 or 7 percent, phased in over 3 years, so that 1.5% payment can be subtracted from the 6 or 7 percent, and the workers still made out pretty well. Who gets guaranteed raises anyway? How do I get in on this deal? This goes back to Doc's Katz comment. Also, there was the billions of tax payer dollars diverted to the School Construction Corp. An organization that already wasted 8 billion tax payer dollars before that on corruption, no bid, and no show contracts. The courts asked for the money and Corzine just gave it to them without a fight at all. He could have at least challenged the funding as unreasonable at a time when the state was 36 billion dollars in debt. He also expanded the free nursery school program. Those are just a few off the top of my head. There are hundreds of other examples I could give if I had the energy to do a little research. All this time, he should have been figuring out ways to cut spending, not increasing it. He only started to care about spending a few months ago when he realized his re-election campaign was coming up. Once re-elected, he will go right back to his "anti-scrooge" spending ways.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:01 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
I thought this was mandated by court rulings and not the government. Who is primarily to blame in your opinion, the courts, or the Corzine administration ?
The governor could defy the courts or the legislature could pass a law which nullifies abbot funding

Old 07-13-2009, 05:07 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Also, there was the billions of tax payer dollars diverted to the School Construction Corp. .

Speaking of school construction, New Brunswick High cost $180 million to build. I can't imagine how they managed to spend that much. Read a bit about it here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/08/nyregion/08build.html

Meanwhile, $200 million was supposed to build 15 charter high schools in Detroit (I understand that a few years passed between the two articles, but NBHS is still crazy and it did happen under Corzine):

Detroit School Establishment Turns Away $200 million Gift [Mackinac Center]

Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 PM

612 posts, read 1,010,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2jm3jm4jm5 View Post
I find it laughable that you think Corzine is to blame for the unemployment. The national unemployment is at 9.5% and NJ is running close to the national average.

I'm sure you wouldn't blame the double digit unemployment rate in Florida and South Carolina on the Republican governors that run those states.

That one quote alone makes it impossible for me to take anything you have to say seriously.
Believe me...I realize we are in a world wide recession. That doesn't change the fact that we are gouging companies with ridiculous taxes and chasing them over to the PA border on a daily basis. The people of New Jersey don't have to lose as many jobs as they are losing. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure we'd be in better shape had the state not run ridiculous deficits the past 20 years.

You are assuming too many positions on my part. I would suggest you don't. There's no question employment is weak in all 50 states. What you should recognize is that the states that had fiscal responsibility, low taxation and lower regulation are poised to create a lot more jobs now and in the future.

The only thing that has literally kept NJ afloat was the banking bailouts. NJ is so heavily dependent upon finance and banking, it's sickening.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
The property tax issue was created by the courts. But Corzine has had 4 years to put forth reform. He's done nothing, except reappoint the people in the court who initially created the problem.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
After he gets done listening to Rush Limbaugh he's gotta answer my question too, and then he can tell me how he feels about Chris Christie having the SAME position on illegal immigrants as Corzine.
Rofl, and you said it's hard to take me seriously? Have you read any of my posts? I've done nothing but complain about the Republican establishment that has dominated politics for the past 40 years. I'm a registered independent and have never voted Republican in my entire life. Grow up. The problem with people like you is that you are willing to let the Democrats do everything and anything they want because George Bush screwed up your country for 8 years straight.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:45 PM

318 posts, read 450,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
Rofl, and you said it's hard to take me seriously? Have you read any of my posts? I've done nothing but complain about the Republican establishment that has dominated politics for the past 40 years. I'm a registered independent and have never voted Republican in my entire life. Grow up. The problem with people like you is that you are willing to let the Democrats do everything and anything they want because George Bush screwed up your country for 8 years straight.
I'm actually a registered independent that supported Steve Lonegan for governor. I've decided to vote for Corzine because both he and Christie are the same thing. I would rather see Corzine win then a corrupt Bush reject like Christie.

However, I do apologize, I wasn't aware of your political positions. For the most part they are probably in line with mine.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:37 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default because he is like Bush.......

"I would rather see Corzine win then a corrupt Bush reject like Christie."

Sounds like a vote based on the fact he is not Bush. So much for all the research.

Just look at all the Goldman Sachs connections in the federal and state govenment. You want a widespread old boys network? Then Jon Corzine is indeed your man.

CC is a novice compared to Jon and his yet, unindicted cronies.

I'd prefer someone other than these two choices but of the two you can't possibly vote for JC!

Jon had his chance. He is a known entity. There is nothing there to justify giving him 4 more years.

CC, while not looking like a good handhold out of this quagmire is a better bet than what we know Jon can and will do.

Then we get Menendez, et al replaced............

Old 07-14-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I'm actually a registered independent that supported Steve Lonegan for governor. I've decided to vote for Corzine because both he and Christie are the same thing. I would rather see Corzine win then a corrupt Bush reject like Christie.

However, I do apologize, I wasn't aware of your political positions. For the most part they are probably in line with mine.
I do as well. I do get emotional when people try to bring partisan politics into intellectual discussion. I would have preferred Lonegan as well, despite the fact that, for some reason, the guy rubs me the wrong way.

I much prefer Christie to Corzine. I cannot point to a single thing that Corzine has done well. He's failed to address every single issue that this state had 4 years ago and he's made them all worse. On top of that, I hate Goldman Sachs...and their stranglehold they appear to have on our government and our economy.

Christie does have a lot of flawed policies, but I can only hope he maintains his track record of jailing politicians in NJ through some sort of transparency in government enactments. Putting them behind bars is a step in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey