Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:54 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,973,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Very similar to our dog which had this problem. The vet told us to feed her rice and lamb, venison, bison, ostrich - any meat that wasn't pumped up with antibiotics, feed lot force fed. "Organic" beef was OK too. After she could keep that down, took a while, we were allowed to add a clove of garlic (one clove doesn't cause Heinz factor anemia) and a bit of carrot. I'm still not sure why the carrot. When she'd been keeping her food down for quite some time, we could occasionally feed small amounts of premium canned dog food. Good luck.
Have been there already with the venison including duck and rabbit.....the vet said these meats were good because they are something the dog has never had and most are not allergic to but still have good protein.....haven't tried the ostrich or bison and not even aware where they might be available. I'm not sure those two would make a difference at this point......its Sunday night and she just can't keep anything down even though shes on the Prednisone which worked wonders in the past......I'm trying to give her a liquid diet thats easy to digest like raw eggs, yogurt, etc but I'm not having much success.....shes vomiting at least 6 times a night and more than that during the day. I will be talking to the vet first thing Monday morning to report on the weekends goings on but unless theres drastic changes soon this isn't looking good for a happy ending here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,595,534 times
flyerfan.. just checking in. How's she doing? Any news? Hopefully good?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I need some help. I rescued/adopted a mixed lab a year ago, now 2, and she has chronic stomach/esophagus inflamation that has flared up. There is no cure for this condition.....inflamation of the stomach and esophagus which causes coughing, vomiting, etc.....you can only treat it when it flares up......She was in poor condition when I adopted her.....you could easily see her ribs and backbone so I'm sure her diet was poor also. X-rays and endoscopes show that everything internal is normal. When I first got her it was months of medication (predinsone + others) and a long struggle to find the right diet but eventually she improved greatly and was eating well on a special diet of sensitive systems kibble and wet food mixed with yogurt, even gaining almost 10 pounds to a healthy weight ( see picture in my profile). But....a month or so ago she relapsed for no apparent reason and even though she is now back on predinsone she doesn't seem to be responding. We have now tried multiple medications and perscription foods (Hills ID and Royal Canan duck, rabbit and venison) without much luck as she just brings everything up. She has lost the 10 pounds that she gained over the prior year and we seem to be running out of options.....unless theres someone out there with some advice they can pass along there may not be a happy ending to this story. Is there anyone out there who has had experience with a dog with this chronic condition that can offer some advice thats worked for them ?
Just wanted to take a minute to say thanks to all who tried to help me by posting suggestions.......unfortunately, despite best effort, my dog Abby had to be euthanized on Tuesday night......watching the ending of "Marley and Me" is difficult......living it is just devestating.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Just wanted to take a minute to say thanks to all who tried to help me by posting suggestions.......unfortunately, despite best effort, my dog Abby had to be euthanized on Tuesday night......watching the ending of "Marley and Me" is difficult......living it is just devestating.
I'm so sorry flyersFan... losing a pet is devastating .

Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 AM

For Abby

Sarah McLachlan - Angel
5 min
www.youtube.com

Old 07-24-2009, 09:18 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,363,077 times
That really sucks, man. We watched out 12 y/o lab die at the vet last year from a sudden illness that ended in cardiac arrest, so I know what you're going through.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
For Abby

Sarah McLachlan - Angel
5 min
www.youtube.com
Thank you......I know the song but can't bring myself to watch this.....is it just me or is there anyone who can watch those Sarah McLachlan animal rescue commercials on Animal Planet without shedding a tear or two ???

Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,045,135 times
Quote:
Thank you......I know the song but can't bring myself to watch this.....is it just me or is there anyone who can watch those Sarah McLachlan animal rescue commercials on Animal Planet without shedding a tear or two ???
FF- So sorry to hear about your Abby, just heart breaking.
She had 2 wonderful years with you and is now with many of our pups at the bridge.
Thank you for adopting her, loving her and taking such good care of her.

I can't watch that Sarah MaLachlan without bawling either!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Same here...

Old 07-26-2009, 07:49 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,896,230 times
Ahh, I'm so sorry to hear this. Losing my dog was one of the hardest days of my life.

I'm glad you let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey