Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:52 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times

Advertisements

I have heard that Greenville is bad as a whole, but is it pretty much all bad or does it have parts that are not that bad? If there are areas inside the neighborhood that aren't that bad roughly where are they located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I have heard that Greenville is bad as a whole, but is it pretty much all bad or does it have parts that are not that bad? If there are areas inside the neighborhood that aren't that bad roughly where are they located?
there are a couple of gated communities. I also recall a couple of blocks of JFK just south of the university that weren't as ugly.

I wouldn't seriously consider it even if you're looking for something cheap though. It is a very high crime area. There are affordable neighborhoods that are much safer. Have you considered Newark ? There are parts of the town that are very affordable, and much better than Greenville.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,796 times
I honestly wouldn't touch jersey city with a 10 foot pole. When i moved here to the states 15 years ago i lived in jersey city for a few months and couldn't have been happier the day that i moved out that's for sure:

Old 07-14-2009, 05:58 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvacan10 View Post
I honestly wouldn't touch jersey city with a 10 foot pole. When i moved here to the states 15 years ago i lived in jersey city for a few months and couldn't have been happier the day that i moved out that's for sure:
Each to his own of course -- but parts of Jersey city are quite desirable by the most objective metric: property values. One bedroom condos in downtown sell for comparable prices to houses in the suburbs.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:24 AM

I was looking into a place on Bidwell Ave. down near Garfield Ave. Is that still Greenfield? Is it bad there?

Old 07-14-2009, 06:30 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I was looking into a place on Bidwell Ave. down near Garfield Ave. Is that still Greenfield? Is it bad there?
BAD??? Don't even entertain the thought of buying/renting something down there.....most if not all of the streets between MLK Blvd & Garfield Ave are a war zone

Old 07-14-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
BAD??? Don't even entertain the thought of buying/renting something down there.....most if not all of the streets between MLK Blvd & Garfield Ave are a war zone
Okay, thanks that is nice to know. Which would you recommend I have been looking into listings of places in Bayonne(Ave. C,Broadway,and Lexington), Harrison(around 530 Harrison Ave.), North Bergen(1500 43st.), or other parts of JC like on Hoboken Ave/State Highway 139 Upper between Concord St. and Palisade Ave., or 19 Columbia Ave., Britton St near St Peters College, 585 Bergen Ave., or the 200 block of Liberty Ave.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Most of Bayonne is ok
Don't know anything about Harrison or North Bergen
As for Jersey City the best area also the most $$$ is downtown
Some of the streets between Westside Ave and Kennedy Blvd are ok...Gifford, Belmont, Kensington from what I understand once you cross Communipaw Ave the streets between Westside & Kennedy aren't as nice anymore...Lexington, Union etc
I would also avoid Bergen Ave
Around St Peters isn't to awful

Except for downtown it's a crapshoot..you're street may be fine but if you have to walk a block or two for bus etc you may be taking your life in your hands.

Go on NJ.Com and click on Hudson County for the Jersey Journal you'll get a feel for the crime in the city

Old 07-14-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Most of Bayonne is ok
Don't know anything about Harrison or North Bergen
As for Jersey City the best area also the most $$$ is downtown
Some of the streets between Westside Ave and Kennedy Blvd are ok...Gifford, Belmont, Kensington from what I understand once you cross Communipaw Ave the streets between Westside & Kennedy aren't as nice anymore...Lexington, Union etc
I would also avoid Bergen Ave
Around St Peters isn't to awful

Except for downtown it's a crapshoot..you're street may be fine but if you have to walk a block or two for bus etc you may be taking your life in your hands.

Go on NJ.Com and click on Hudson County for the Jersey Journal you'll get a feel for the crime in the city

Thanks, I'll do that.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:26 AM

13 posts, read 48,987 times
I agree with Dorian. I lived and worked in JC downtwon for 2 years and remember walking home at about 1 am and didnt really felt unsafe or anything but then the rents were outrageous and I cant even think of owning something here but would definitely stay away from Greenville.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey