Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:19 PM

31 posts, read 225,753 times

Advertisements

The commute would kill you. Parts are sketchy, but others are pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 02:29 PM

13 posts, read 49,212 times
I moved to P'burg in the summer of '05 and so far I'm still liking it. It's not depressed to me. If you want depressed try living right across the river, in the city of Easton, PA. That's a depressing city (the suburban areas are very nice though, like Palmer twnship - love it!).

I guess to each their own when it comes to liking this area, but I think it's decent. Sure, you have shady areas, but you can usually point them out when driving through. Just avoid them and you should be fine. There are also really nice areas that I love to drive through.

I sometimes drive home from work at night and I'm fine. I don't feel scared or threatened either. *shrugs*

Oh, and my husband works in Staten Island and commutes an hour to work at night. He doesn't mind the commute. Over time you get used to it. He actually gets home quicker than when he had to take that friggin SI Expressway aka the worst expressway in the world!

As for off-street parking, it's not bad. You might get a house with a parking pad in the back, which would eliminate that worry. The majority of homes have them.

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-06-2007, 05:04 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,135 times
I could not imagine traveling 78 east to 287 n to 80 into Wayne everyday only to live in P-Burg. If money is a big issue maybe Oakland or up Rt 15 into Sussex Co. or go out toward East Stradsburg, PA. There has to be a hundred better ideas.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:40 AM

38 posts, read 266,782 times
Quote:
I would appreicate any help or suggestions.. I don't have any family nearby to rely on and need good sound advise. Thanks!
If you absolutely must live in this area, I would suggest some of it's surrounding towns. I have friends who live in Lopatcong, which is a very nice town just outside Phillipsburg (feeds into the P'Burg school system at this time, and also uses the P'Burg zip code).

Old 06-27-2007, 02:34 AM

6 posts, read 29,627 times
I've lived in Phillipsburg for about 11 yrs and I must say that it has stepped up from what it used to be. When I moved here in 96 I definately experienced a culture shock, very few minorities and no shopping malls except the Phillipsburg mall which is a joke. Over the years they have put up more stores but the town is still pretty run down. You definately want to stay away from South Main St. The transportation sux, no train station nearby and bus station is in Easton PA. The houses are WAY too close togethr and there are no front lawns in most of the town. They are also building new developments every other day. If you must live here I would definately suggest looking in the towns surrounding Phillipsburg such as Alpha, Lopatcong and Greenwich. I would just stay away all together. I cant wait to get out of this town!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:35 AM

6 posts, read 29,627 times
Default Wouldnt recommend it

I've lived in Phillipsburg for about 11 yrs and I must say that it has stepped up from what it used to be. When I moved here in 96 I definately experienced a culture shock, very few minorities and no shopping malls except the Phillipsburg mall which is a joke. Over the years they have put up more stores but the town is still pretty run down. You definately want to stay away from South Main St. The transportation sux, no train station nearby and bus station is in Easton PA. The houses are WAY too close togethr and there are no front lawns in most of the town. They are also building new developments every other day. If you must live here I would definately suggest looking in the towns surrounding Phillipsburg such as Alpha, Lopatcong and Greenwich. I would just stay away all together. I cant wait to get out of this town!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,943 times
I've lived in Phillipsburg for about 27 of my 32 years on the planet and I can only suggest that you don't come here. Especially if you plan on buying a place in the area we "townies" call the "Flats." And if you plan on a commute to Wayne on a regular basis. The "flats" has never been the best area to be in and usually all the kids that were expelled from school or ended up in prison came from that area of town. Phillipsburg isn't all bad, as it might have been suggested by others but it's no great place either. There are some nice things about it but not nice enough to recommend moving here. If I had the money, I'd been moving out myself.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:13 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,570 times
I just moved out of the area 2 yrs ago and I will never move back there. I will not recommend this part of Warren county at all, especially P'Burg. If you're going to commute to Wayne, forget it! My husband used to commute from Lopatcong to Bridgewater, which was about 35-40 miles and it took him 1.5 hours each way on a daily basis. On a good day (when there's a public holiday, or around thanksgiving week when most people prefer to take those days off) it's 1 hour. Trust me, commuting bumper to bumper on Rt. 78 is no fun!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 PM

709 posts, read 934,852 times
The trip will make you nuts. Rt 78 is a bear and getting worse.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:44 AM

37 posts, read 118,141 times
Default phillipsburg- possible move

I have read a few of the responses that were posted regarding your interest in possibly relocating to the area. I have been in Phillipsburg for about 7 years. I moved here from Middlesex County, NJ Woodbridge to be exact. I will attempt to give you a view from my perspective. Phillipsburg is like any other community it has it's desireable and it's not so desireable areas. Even the most undesireable area is not what you consider unsafe with thugs, drug pushers and addicts on the streets, gangs, drive by shootings none of the misconstortions that is portrayed in other more urban areas. There are lots of children, a good amount of working families and overall people that take pride in their homes and community. It may not fit the standard for all but it certainly doesn't qualify as a total dump. And if you are looking for affordability it certainly offers that in comparison to other towns in NJ. The school district is an abbott district however you find teachers within that truly care about the students and work hard to ensure the best possible outcome for the children. The class size is about 14- 16, which is relatively small compared to other areas. The special education programming can be challenged as well as childcare options. The police do a fine job of keeping the town safe. My family has never had our safety threatened. As far as cultural diversity that was a huge cultural shock for us, as Woodbridge is very culturally diverse, however, we have made friends with native Phillipsburg residents as well as other transplants from other areas. The commute I must be honest is going to be a killer. I gave it up about 2 years ago I also tried to commute with my youngest, it was horrible. Work in the area is mostly retail or housekeeping, some direct care positions. There is a decent library in the area that we frequent, the community college is 10 mins. away there are about 4-5 colleges within a 30 min. radius. I would be glad to answerj other questions if your interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey