Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:19 PM

111 posts, read 319,281 times

Advertisements

Here is murder map for the state of NJ, from Jan 1st to the present that is updated every time another murder takes place in the state.
New Jersey Murder Map 2009 - Google Maps

Old 07-20-2009, 05:43 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
^Are those ones you just listed or have there not been any since 2007?
I think it only goes up to 02/03/08

Old 07-20-2009, 10:09 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,406 times
Again though as more affordable housing is made for students and professionals the place will change and more businesses will come generating more tax revenue and the area will clean up. With multiple parties all developing in the same area even if one fails another is there with their own project NJIT gateway, Rutgers business school, UMDNJ, The state's tax breaks and urban renewal plans, The city's living downtown plans, Prudential center, Private businesses on Halsey, Private apartments like 1180, Richardsons loft, the area of Ironbound, NJ Bears stadium, Shaquille O'neal's tower, the NJPAC condos, the passiac waterfront, the entire Harrison path station, the broad street station revitalization plan, seton hall's new dorm on market st. So the more people fear the area the cheaper prices will be and the easier it will be for these projects buy land/materials so now is the time to get in before prices go up. Will the area behind Bergen street clean up? probably not.. will there be murders in that area? probably but that is not the area that is under major transformation.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:18 PM

23 posts, read 57,614 times
Where do you get all this information about the developments....?

Old 07-20-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rican View Post
Where do you get all this information about the developments....?

Sources:

http://www.dranoffproperties.com/art...evelopment.pdf
NJIT: Gateway: News about the Campus Gateway Project
Newark’s Riverfront Blog
Rutgers Business School : Newark Redevelopment
Welcome to New Jersey Future (http://www.njfuture.org/index.cfm?ctn=9t45e1o30v9g&emn=5u92y86g2h42&fuseac tion=user.item&ThisItem=925 - broken link)
NJ Expands Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit « Mobilizing the Region
Button Factory Lofts
ROBERT TREAT ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL : RTA Central Campus
Brick City Urban Farms
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3454/...2fa18b9e_b.jpg
Comito Associates[/quote]

Old 07-20-2009, 03:01 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
block.................. Is the proposed park from Penn Station to The Pru stalled or all together dead?

Old 07-20-2009, 04:12 PM

250 posts, read 563,160 times
Well said. Wish there few more forumers of your kind to sell NWK. Enough of the stereotype, NWK has future and is not dangerous as people portray the brick city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
I live in Society Hill in University Heights and there is nothing cesspoolish about it. But thank you all for being ignorant about the area so the property values fell so I could snap it up dirt cheap. Now that I'm here the area is changing and I can enjoy a nice uptick in my home's value when I sell 10 years from now In the meantime my wife enjoys a 22 minute commute from our place to NYC for work and I enjoy a nice 10 min bus ride to work as well for a zero stress commute to work. Plus the Obama credit and my dirt cheap interest rate made it a no brainer. Plus I have a nice garage to store my car and use it just for groceries so I save on gas, tolls and wear and tear.

Already the park is being developed across the street from us

NJIT is ramping up for the next phase of development adjacent to us to open a better living space for Greek students
Downtown the Seton Hall dorms are being built to attract more students
Richardson Loft is finishing for more rental options across from the Arena
Harrison is on track for redevelopment of the Harrison Path station and the arena is coming along nicely
Rutgers is opening their business school on Broad st. and building new dorms to attract more students.
The waterfront on the Passaic river is being developed now.
The new Blue ribbon Robert Treat academy is opening in Aug 2009 3 blocks from us
Broad Street station is being redeveloped from NJIT to the station
The ironbound especially ferry st is being redeveloped as well and looks really good compared to what it was 3 years ago.
The Science park Highschool has been built and the fields next to it are gorgeous.
Shaquille O'neals tower is being built across from the waterfront
The condos next to NJ pac is being planned as well for phase 2.
The whole downtown and University Heights is about to change and see an influx of people. Luckily I'm on the outeredge so I can enjoy my piece and quiet in a less congested area but still walk downtown
The area around the arena is being cleaned up as well.
The notorious Baxter Terrace is going away too and replaced with loss income housing that will be better organized and maintained.
A new police station is opening at the base of the New NJIT dorms
Plans are being developed to open a grocery store next to society hill in the open space

The only project that makes me cringe is the cleanup of the passiac river itself which I think may not happen in our lifetime as it is that bad

Cesspool? Not all of Newark but keep bashing it as I'm itching to buy more property especially now that NJ has urban tax credit so more development will be started.

And here is a hint for all the out of townies, instead of paying to park at Penn station. You can park for free all weekend behind Horizon Blue Cross Blue shield. There are a ton of cameras so your car will be safe.

Sources:

http://www.dranoffproperties.com/art...evelopment.pdf
NJIT: Gateway: News about the Campus Gateway Project
Newark’s Riverfront Blog
Rutgers Business School : Newark Redevelopment
Welcome to New Jersey Future (http://www.njfuture.org/index.cfm?ctn=9t45e1o30v9g&emn=5u92y86g2h42&fuseac tion=user.item&ThisItem=925 - broken link)
NJ Expands Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit « Mobilizing the Region
Button Factory Lofts
ROBERT TREAT ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL : RTA Central Campus
Brick City Urban Farms
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3454/...2fa18b9e_b.jpg
Comito Associates

Old 07-20-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
block.................. Is the proposed park from Penn Station to The Pru stalled or all together dead?

https://www.newjerseydevilsbricks.com/default.aspx

nope, they just started selling those last week. For 150 I guess you can have your name placed there forever. If the Nets were there I would buy one as I'm not much of a hockey fan

https://www.newjerseydevilsbricks.com/t-faq.aspx

Q:

How long after I place an order do I have to wait for the item to be installed?

A:

It is anticipated that the bricks will be installed in mid-September, however, this timeframe may be subject to change.

Last edited by block911; 07-20-2009 at 05:54 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 05:18 PM

380 posts, read 709,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Newark is a very large city, both by land area and population. How many murders were there in Society Hill ?
Newark is not a very large city by land area or population. Newark is only 24 square miles. Most major cities are at least twice that size in land area. One example of a city similar in population size: Pittsburgh 55.6 square miles. Newark has about 288,000 people which does not even put it in the top 50 largest population-wise. However, Newark is one of the most densly populated at about 11,800 per square mile. Although not a huge city population or land-wise Newark is an important and historic American city.
The most residents Newark ever had was in the 1950's with almost 450,000. Then an array of urban problems and the riots knocked it down 273,546 in the year 2000. Since then Newark has had a population increase for the first time in almost 50 years which is a sign that the city is coming back.
Broad and Market is safer than ever. All the high-rise projects are gone. Halsey St. north of Market is becoming a mecca for up and coming artists. The Coast or Lincoln Park looks and is a thousand times safer than it was 10 years ago. The Ironbound is the diamond in the rough that it always was. Does anyone remember what Prince St. used to be like? All of the projects and boarded-up buildings on Prince have been replaced with one-story nice homes like Society Hill. The downtown light rail is a success. The historic James St. neighborhood has brownstones that rival anything NYC has to offer. There is a Home Depot and an Applebees on Springfield & Bergen which was not a nice place to be just a short time ago.
Does Newark have problems still-ABSOLUTELY... But anyone who lives here will tell you that Newark has changed drastically and is a much safer place than it was. I think Newark is going to come back in a big way within the next 10 years.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM

131 posts, read 420,222 times
A close friend of mine actually just got an apartment in Newark. Works for a pharmaceutical company in a town to the south of him by a few miles, and it's a beautiful apartment. He is by no means uneducated, but the area makes the most sense to him now. He's single, and actually white too.

This is actually the apartment website... I think he only pays 1000 dollars a month for a 2 bedroom. Split among 3 people as well. The GLC Group, LLC. Hedden - Osborne Terrace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey