U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,790 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm 23 y/o looking to buy a new construction to 5 year old home in the south jersey area. I have lived in Toms River (central jersey, ocean cty) my entire life until I came to south jersey (Rowan, glassboro) to go to school.

I have since graduated and have a job now in Mt. Laurel and have been browsing the immediate area but cannot find anything decent in my price range (150k-225k) close to this area.

Over the past year, I moved from an apartment in Glassboro to an apartment in Lindenwold, strictly for money reasons (i pay $635/month compared to ~$1000 in glassboro) - unfortunately I did not know how crappy this area was. I am surrounded by drugs, my neighbor across the street was murdered (drug related), and everyone around me thrive off welfare and disability fraud. I am by NO MEANS any sort of racist or prejudice - I just don't want to be afraid to sleep at night with the windows open - but it was my own fault I didn't do my own research and lesson learned

Back to the home buying - I currently in a contract with a low ball offer in on a short sale in Delanco in the River's Edge community (Ryan Homes) but I signed the contract in May and haven't heard anything back from the bank yet so to be honest I'm completely done with the short-sale BS. They have until the end of July before I can legally back out. The first time tax credit is very important to us and I don't want to be left scrambling for a home when this falls through...

So my girlfriend and I have begun to look around again...this time a little bit further from Mt. Laurel but I want nothing over a 30 minute commute give or take 10 minutes for traffic and what not.

We have looked at a few in the large "Hidden Mill" development in Blackwood. With my girlfriend being from Washington Twp she likes the idea that it's closer to her family and the area in general. I personally don't like Wash. Twp. as it feels like everyone from that town is real caddy and I personally think Marlton/Medford/Haddonfield/many other towns are 10x nicer. But in Blackwood we can get a new construction, 2300 sq ft townhome with garage and full, unfinished basement for around 199k. HOA fees were $90/month and taxes were in the $6500 range.

We recently found other homes and took a look at them yesterday located in Winslow, more specifically it was off Sicklerville Rd in a community called Camino Ct. (Winslow, NJ 08081 - presented by Jennifer D'Alesandro) - these homes were absolutely gorgeous new construction homes in a similar price range (206k-220k) but located in Winslow. There were no HOA fees and the taxes will run approx. $2500 less per year than in the Blackwood development. Not being familiar with the area I only know Winslow as being a primarily black, high crime, poor school town (similar to Lindenwold). A police officer was visiting his cousin next door to one of the townhomes attached and I spoke with him about the area and he said it is generally very nice in the area I was looking. so that was a bit reassuring.

I'm really looking for some advice from people with experience from both areas...obviously the school system in Winslow has gone to crap from what I have read on these forums and other sites but I want to know if the school system, demographic, and overall feel of the area will make me uneasy as well as make it hard to sell a few years down the road.

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,217,383 times
Buy a condo or townhome in Mount Laurel. You don't want to be communiting from that far south. Probably the best value/location mix is in Kings Grant in Marlton. Outstanding area, fairly reasonable prices. It is a bit secluded but not bad. You don't need a house.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Buy a condo or townhome in Mount Laurel. You don't want to be communiting from that far south. Probably the best value/location mix is in Kings Grant in Marlton. Outstanding area, fairly reasonable prices. It is a bit secluded but not bad. You don't need a house.

I also don't "need" a condo. What I want is some space to entertain and store, nobody above or below me, a garage to work and park, and a small piece a property where I can relax and grill. A Townhome or Single Family Home is what is best for me.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 AM

6,318 posts, read 9,522,696 times
I went to High School in Blackwood, but have never heard of Hidden Mill. The schools are okay, probably better than Winslow, but not the greatest. It's definitely convenient to "TWP" and is probably a more of a blue-collar town, with a fair amount of diversity but not a ton of crime.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdastis View Post
I also don't "need" a condo. What I want is some space to entertain and store, nobody above or below me, a garage to work and park, and a small piece a property where I can relax and grill. A Townhome or Single Family Home is what is best for me.
Like I said Mount Laurel or Kings Grant for townhomes, you should find something 200K, it's the best you'll find in that area. Wash Twp, Sicklerville, Blackwood, etc., are not great areas IMO. You could have resale issues down there too. Sicklerville housing has been slammed and the reputation is not good.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 07-17-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,787,350 times
I'm familiar with Blackwood, and I personally wouldn't buy there. My advice would be to buy in the best town that you afford, even if it means a townhouse versus a single. If you go for a townhouse, make sure it's a 3br with garage if possible, gives you a wider range of buyers for resale later.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,568,640 times
Try looking in Haddon Twp, collignswood area. You can get in some fixer uppers over there for $200k range. It WILL NOT be new construction (only a few of those and start at close to $400)
Maybe even Haddon Heights.

Also Cherry Hill might work for you since it is not that far from Mt. Laurel.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
I'm familiar with Blackwood, and I personally wouldn't buy there. My advice would be to buy in the best town that you afford, even if it means a townhouse versus a single. If you go for a townhouse, make sure it's a 3br with garage if possible, gives you a wider range of buyers for resale later.
I totally agree, especially when you can negotiate heavily in a great area, it's a no brainer.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 PM

6,183 posts, read 5,665,721 times
I echo the Haddon area. Seems like it's in your price range, it's close to where you work, and a very respectable area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey