U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:11 AM

83 posts, read 401,631 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at Rahway-Jersey City via NJ Transit and PATH. Please opine on
1. Parking situation in Rahway (both daily and monthly)
2. Seat availability between Rahway and Newark Penn.
3. Rush hour times at Rahway.
4. Rahway neighbourhood (crime/safety etc).
5. Any other issues or concerns

THANKS MUCH
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 09:00 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,954,893 times
See below in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techieguy View Post
I'm looking at Rahway-Jersey City via NJ Transit and PATH. Please opine on
1. Parking situation in Rahway (both daily and monthly) Parking is hit or miss at Rahway. Can't speak to the parking, but they did recently build a parking deck for the train station, so I'm assuming that helped.
2. Seat availability between Rahway and Newark Penn. Most trains you'll have no problem getting a seat, but even if you don't, it's only a +/- 20 minute ride to Newark- you just stand near the doors. I've done it plenty of times.
3. Rush hour times at Rahway. Rush hour for the NE corridor is from around 7am to 9:30 in the morning, and 4:30 to 6:30 in the afternoon.
4. Rahway neighbourhood (crime/safety etc). Rahway has its good areas, and its not so good areas. Generally, the higher the price, the better the area. It's not as bad as Camden or Newark, but there's areas I wouldn't recommend living in.
5. Any other issues or concerns

THANKS MUCH

Old 04-20-2007, 09:06 AM

Thanks for your quick response. Couple of quick questions
1. I'm looking at River Place at Rahway. If you know that area /apt would you recommend living there ?
2. They say its few blocks to Rahway station. If you know this area/apt do you think its walkable distance ?

THANKS ONCE AGAIN.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 AM

Also please opine on parking situation at
1. Metropark , Edison , Metuchen and Linden station.

THANKS

Old 04-20-2007, 10:18 AM

Those apartments are literally two blocks from the train station, so they'd be a great choice. Downtown Rahway is about to undergo a huge development project, which will greatly improve the downtown area. If I was a young single guy working in Jersey City, I'd live in those apartments.

Regarding parking at other stations- Metropark always has plenty of parking, and Linden's lots usually have plenty of space. Edison and Metuchen are a different story- you're going to have a hard time finding a space there unless you get to the station before around 6 am.

Bob

Old 04-20-2007, 01:15 PM

I'm not single and we're looking to rent in Riverplace. Is it good place/area for married people ? Also we plan to have kids in the near term.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:20 PM

The Rahway school system is OK- not great, but not Newark either. Of course, you'll have at least 6 years or so to worry about that, in which time things could change dramatically.

Your best bet is to head down to Rahway for the day and check out the area- you should be able to tell a lot about the area and whether it's a good fit for you and your wife rather quickly.

Bob

Old 04-20-2007, 07:20 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,259,923 times
Like Bob K says
take a ride to see us in rahway
if you are looking at river place then you
don't need to worry about parking since it is about a 2 minute walk from river place to the train station, i think you will like what you see going on downtown

Good luck to The Rahway High School Mcjrotc drill team (one of the best drill teams in the nation) They will be heading down to the national high school drill competition in daytona beach next week

Old 04-22-2007, 05:31 AM

I drove around and I thought Rahway was OK (not great not bad either). So I agree what you all have to say. However the lease at Riverplace is tilted more in the landlord's favor . You cannot break the lease easily. You have to pay the rent until the apartment is rented out again. There is no buyout and or penalty. I personally find that ridiculous. Technically the apartment could be rented out very soon but it again depends on what time of the year you give notice.
So I have decided not look in Rahway, because other apartments do not look good.
Thanks for your advice.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:31 AM

What did you expect the lease to say- that you could leave whenever you want to? Any well-managed apartment complex is going to have that same clause, so if you're planning on renting, you'd better get used to it. Your other option is to rent month-to-month (and many complexs won't do that), and you'll pay a few hundred $$ more per month to do so.

Dismissing a complex based just on that seems short-sighted IMO.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey