Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:33 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,956,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I grew up in Teaneck & went to high school there, lived in Jersey City for many years afterward.
I now live back in my old home town.

I mean................. Not wanting to get criticized & yet criticizing is quite.................... Well, you should stick to your guns. If you feel strongly enough to persuade someones opinion about a particular town & not give substantive reasons, it raises a red flag in my mind.
Why don't you want to get "criticized"?
Why don't you answer her questions specifically since you seem to know so much about Teaneck and seem to love it there so much? Seriously. Make your case and stick up for the town and give us some positive details. She gave you enough details about her situation. Do you think it would be a good thing for her to buy there? Here are her questions again:

• Is Teaneck truly a progressive place, or is it riddled with racial tensions?
  • Is crime (serious crime, like gang activiy) on the upswing, or is that a myth fueled by racism?
  • Are the town's demographics relatively stable, or has there been a sharp incline in any one particular group? (I ask only because I'm wary of investing in a town that's on its way to becoming homogenous.)
  • Do people generally respect each other and take good care of their homes?
  • Would we feel uninvited or even unsafe if we were to move into any part of town, whether it be the more traditionally Jewish enclaves or the more predominantly African American neighborhoods?
  • Some websites indicate that it is highly segregated and that there are serious racial tensions. (Is this true?)
I'm done with this thread. If you meant to stick up for Teaneck by attacking my simple comments, you've done nothing but make the town look worse IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:56 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,966,421 times
My deleted reply would have gotten me banned........................

All I can say is WOW!
Was I (am I) living under a rock in Teaneck?
Where is this tension?
I've had quite a few interracial relationships in TNK growing up.
The people who know me say hi, white, black or hispanic.

I don't know...................... Maybe it's me.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM

249 posts, read 883,700 times
Default What about gay people...

you all left that one out...

Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 PM

To the OP, I am sorry this thread has gone awry. The negative impression I gave is related to the schools if that helps any, and this is all probably related to who I am, in a demographic sense. And in that sense, it may not be fair for me to put out a negative vibe on the whole town.

It could very well be the right town for you and your partner. I will stick with my original opinion which would be to rent there for a year to make sure before you buy there. It's a big town, with many neighborhoods and sections, and you would want to really get the feel for it before diving in with a home purchase.

Best wishes to you on your househunt.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,835 times
Wow, I didn't mean to incite controversy! But this is exactly why it's so hard to get a good read on Teaneck. On paper, the place seems great to me, but then it evokes a lot of passionate (but vague) "stay away" comments (although I agree that research and maybe even renting first are good suggestions). Openheads, your parents' neighborhood sounds exactly like what we're looking for--a diverse place where people just live their lives.

Can anyone give me some idea of which neighborhoods/areas are homogenous and which have a good balance of races/religions/ethnicities/etc.? I've read that the NE section is predominantly African American and the NW is predominantly Orthodox Jewish. Does that mean that everywhere else is more integrated/inclusive?

Thank you again.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
and this is all probably related to who I am, in a demographic sense. And in that sense, it may not be fair for me to put out a negative vibe on the whole town.
Who are you "in a demographic sense"?
That might help.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Who are you "in a demographic sense"?
That might help.
A white Irish-American Catholic.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForegoneConclusion View Post
Wow, I didn't mean to incite controversy! But this is exactly why it's so hard to get a good read on Teaneck. On paper, the place seems great to me, but then it evokes a lot of passionate (but vague) "stay away" comments (although I agree that research and maybe even renting first are good suggestions). Openheads, your parents' neighborhood sounds exactly like what we're looking for--a diverse place where people just live their lives.

Can anyone give me some idea of which neighborhoods/areas are homogenous and which have a good balance of races/religions/ethnicities/etc.? I've read that the NE section is predominantly African American and the NW is predominantly Orthodox Jewish. Does that mean that everywhere else is more integrated/inclusive?

Thank you again.
Yes, it's not you, it's hard to get an honest view because the viewpoints are so different depending who you are. Also, it's hard to get a good read on Teaneck because people can't honestly say what they think on a forum like this without being accused of being a racist of some sort. It's a complex town, not easy to get a read on. I think if you rent, you will be able to really get a feel for it. It's always a good idea to rent first anyway. Sometimes what you think is your perfect town isn't and vice versa. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
A white Irish-American Catholic.
Surprise, surprise!!! What a turn of events!!!
So am I. I went to St. Anastasia CCD after school.
Silly me for assuming you were an immigrant from a "smaller minority" in Teaneck who might feel isolated & marginalized.
Either way................................ This blows my mind even more. I don't even know what to say. Adapt or get out of the way, I guess. America is for everyone, not just you.
Did you get beat up in school? Did the scary brown kids make fun of you?
Listen, I got some fat lips & bloody noses along the way, but I also learned & made good friends of all sorts.
I'm done. Make of my posts what you will.

Last edited by openheads; 07-20-2009 at 08:07 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,279,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForegoneConclusion View Post

Thank you again.
I don't know if you've thought about doing this -- but one thing that many people fail to do, which I see to be an essential part of "due diligence" is spending not just one, but several weekends in whichever town you are considering moving into. My hobby of choice is distance running. If you're not a distance runner that's fine too -- but do get out of your car and walk around, to get some feel for what it's like. Visit the restaurants, the parks, etc. Take a stroll through some of the neighborhoods where you have seen listings that you like (that btw will very quickly tell you which parts are and aren't integrated, and also answer your question about whether you would be very unwelcome/unsafe, and whether or not the neighborhood in question is well kept)

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey