Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,829 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

My partner and I are considering a move to Teaneck because it offers a quick commute to NYC (a necessity for both of us) and there seem to be decent houses in the $285-$300 range. We're not in a position to buy anything more expensive.

When I first started to investigate Teaneck, I was struck (favorably) by how diverse it is and how progressive it seemed. My partner and I are both white, non-Jewish, and female, so a liberal, inclusive climate is ideal. However, in continuing my research, I have found conflicting accounts on just how progressive Teaneck really is. Some websites indicate that it is highly segregated and that there are serious racial tensions. There are also reports of increased criminal activity.

Would we feel uninvited or even unsafe if we were to move into any part of town, whether it be the more traditionally Jewish enclaves or the more predominantly African American neighborhoods? I want neighbors of all races, ethnicities, and religions, and I don't want to feel like an outcast because I'm not Jewish or I'm not African American. I certainly do not want to feel endangered because I am gay, either.

My partner and I are family-oriented people who like to live in clean, well-cared for neighborhoods. It's much more important to me that my neighbors take pride in their homes and share my middle-class, family values than where they attend religious services or the color of their skin.

So...

Is Teaneck truly a progressive place, or is it riddled with racial tensions?

Is crime (serious crime, like gang activiy) on the upswing, or is that a myth fueled by racism?

Are the town's demographics relatively stable, or has there been a sharp incline in any one particular group? (I ask only because I'm wary of investing in a town that's on its way to becoming homogenous.)

Do people generally respect each other and take good care of their homes?

If you really think Teaneck is a bad choice: Are there other towns within a 30-35 minute commute of NYC that offer affordable housing and which might be a better fit for my partner and me?

Thank you very much for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:21 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
My parents live in Teaneck. Their neighbors are Jewish, Dominican, African American.
They get along fine with their neighbors & everyone lives life. Period.
There is a large section of mostly Jewish people & a large section of mostly African Americans. The other neighborhoods that fill in the gaps are quite jumbled in terms of ethnicity.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:18 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
I don't want to say anything specific in case I get accused of all sorts of things. I grew up there and went to school there and enough said on that. Are you from that area? If you aren't, I would recommend renting there for a year to make sure before you invest in a buying a home there.

If I did want to buy around that area in that price range, I would try Ridgefield Park instead. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:24 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
I don't want to say anything specific in case I get accused of all sorts of things. I grew up there and went to school there and enough said on that. Are you from that area? If you aren't, I would recommend renting there for a year to make sure before you invest in a buying a home there.

If I did want to buy around that area in that price range, I would try Ridgefield Park instead. Good luck.
I have to agree with the "renting first in that area" if you are unfamiliar with the area. I've driven through different parts of Teaneck before and there are definitely some places in it I would rather live than other parts but thats just my personal opinion, you might feel differently. Good luck

Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I don't want to say anything specific in case I get accused of all sorts of things. I grew up there and went to school there and enough said on that.
You still refuse to explain why you don't like Teaneck in any specific detail. Just saying you don't like it in vague terms is very misleading.
I lived & went to school there & loved it. I would not have wanted to grow up anywhere else.
Crime is a non issue & yet I never felt sheltered growing up. I was raised around all races, religions & economic backgrounds.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
You still refuse to explain why you don't like Teaneck in any specific detail. Just saying you don't like it in vague terms is very misleading.
I lived & went to school there & loved it. I would not have wanted to grow up anywhere else.
Crime is a non issue & yet I never felt sheltered growing up. I was raised around all races, religions & economic backgrounds.
That's great that you had a great experience in Teaneck growing up. Seriously. I did not. And no way will I go into specific detail on here, because I'll just get criticized of all kinds of things.

Someone who isn't familiar with the town and is thinking of buying a house there should do their research very well before they do so, as with any town. If they aren't familiar with Teaneck, they should definitely rent there for a year before sinking money into a house there. But again, that could be true for any town. I will say Teaneck is a unique town.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:55 PM

openheads, BTW, do you live in Teaneck now? Do you live around there?

Old 07-20-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
openheads, BTW, do you live in Teaneck now? Do you live around there?
I grew up in Teaneck & went to high school there, lived in Jersey City for many years afterward.
I now live back in my old home town.

I mean................. Not wanting to get criticized & yet criticizing is quite.................... Well, you should stick to your guns. If you feel strongly enough to persuade someones opinion about a particular town & not give substantive reasons, it raises a red flag in my mind.
Why don't you want to get "criticized"?

Last edited by openheads; 07-20-2009 at 06:11 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I grew up in Teaneck, lived in Jersey City for many years.
I now live back in my old home town.
So you are back in Teaneck then? Or is there another home town and I am misreading your comment.

I don't mean to put Teaneck down. I just really do believe that people looking to buy a home should be very diligent in their research about Teaneck. It's not that it's not a right town for anyone, but it won't be the right town for some people.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
I would not describe it at progressive. I wouldn't really describe all that much of NJ progressive :-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey