U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2009, 01:59 PM
M_P M_P started this thread
 
3 posts, read 7,023 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Guys,

I really need some guidance from you all regarding commute and which county to relocate to. I have searched the previous forums a lot but could not find the answers I have been looking for.

My company will soon be relocating to Wayne, NJ from Bridgewater. My husband's job is in Princeton and we rent an apartment in North Brunswick. So far our commute has been pretty good- about 30 min each way to work for both of us. But things will change very soon once my company relocates.

We are planning to relocate so I can get a little closer to work and my husband does not have to commute a lot as well. We are looking at relocating closer to either Colonia, NJ (it's half way between my husband's job and mine) or Bridgewater. This way I can get on Garden state parkway or 287 to get to Wayne. Also, instead of renting we would like to buy a house (take some advantage of first time home buyer credit). I do not know too much about NJ (moved from PA less than 6 mths back), which is why I need a lot more guidance from you all. Here's are some questions that we are faced with.

1. Is commute to Wayne better from GS Parkway or 287? Work hours are from 9-6.
2. I looked up Corzines toll proposal and looks like I will be shelling out atleast $500 in tolls on GS Parkway this year and it will continue to go up year after year. That Sucks...
3. We are interested in buying a single family home vs. town home (just a preference) but it seems that I can only find townhomes in Somerset county that are less than 20-25 years old and can fit our budget of 400k. Also, as I go north of Bridgewater (bernardsville, Basking ridge), choices are even less in my price range. That way Middlesex county still offers more homes that fit my price range.
4. We need to relocate to a neighborhood that's safe and has good schools for kids.


So with this great dilemma, can you guys suggest some areas that I should be looking at and give me an idea about commute via 287 or GS Parkway?

Thanks in advance,
MP
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2009, 05:00 PM
 
1,235 posts, read 3,781,489 times
Reputation: 276
I think one of you needs a new job. Just kidding. Wayne and Princeton, that's rough!

I'd lean towards a 287 commute for you and a 206 route for your husband, over both of you doing a GSP route, especially to Wayne and Princeton.

How about Branchburg? Good schools, somewhat reasonable prices. But in that price range and age range, you're definitely looking at a townhouse in Branchburg.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 05:29 AM
 
Location: NJ
20,978 posts, read 14,952,854 times
Reputation: 15140
Default Branchburg

Agree that Branchburg would be an excellent choice.
Princeton is right over the mountain, either rileyville rd to carter rd to rt 1 or blackpoint-montgomery rd to hollow rd to 518 and then several choice into Princeton. Zero traffic until you hit rt 1 or rt 206 if required.

Wayne is just a hop up 287.

I used to commute from Fords to just northwest of wayne. One route was up the parkway to 3, 46, 80? and 23. The other was up 287, main st in Boonton to rt 23. Strangely enough both routes were within 3 miles and 10 minutes of each other.

Seemed there was an accident on the parkway every time it rained. 23 was always jammed going south.

The commute from the Branchburg area up 287 was about 25 min shorter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 08:28 AM
M_P M_P started this thread
 
3 posts, read 7,023 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks you both for responding. I will definitely look into Branchburg.

We have been working with a realtor and surprisingly enough he suggested G S parkway better for commute over 287. His recommendation didn't really sink in for us as I have heard lot of contradictory information.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 08:35 AM
 
835 posts, read 1,094,665 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_P View Post
Guys,

I really need some guidance from you all regarding commute and which county to relocate to. I have searched the previous forums a lot but could not find the answers I have been looking for.

My company will soon be relocating to Wayne, NJ from Bridgewater. My husband's job is in Princeton and we rent an apartment in North Brunswick. So far our commute has been pretty good- about 30 min each way to work for both of us. But things will change very soon once my company relocates.

We are planning to relocate so I can get a little closer to work and my husband does not have to commute a lot as well. We are looking at relocating closer to either Colonia, NJ (it's half way between my husband's job and mine) or Bridgewater. This way I can get on Garden state parkway or 287 to get to Wayne. Also, instead of renting we would like to buy a house (take some advantage of first time home buyer credit). I do not know too much about NJ (moved from PA less than 6 mths back), which is why I need a lot more guidance from you all. Here's are some questions that we are faced with.

1. Is commute to Wayne better from GS Parkway or 287? Work hours are from 9-6.
2. I looked up Corzines toll proposal and looks like I will be shelling out atleast $500 in tolls on GS Parkway this year and it will continue to go up year after year. That Sucks...
3. We are interested in buying a single family home vs. town home (just a preference) but it seems that I can only find townhomes in Somerset county that are less than 20-25 years old and can fit our budget of 400k. Also, as I go north of Bridgewater (bernardsville, Basking ridge), choices are even less in my price range. That way Middlesex county still offers more homes that fit my price range.
4. We need to relocate to a neighborhood that's safe and has good schools for kids.


So with this great dilemma, can you guys suggest some areas that I should be looking at and give me an idea about commute via 287 or GS Parkway?

Thanks in advance,
MP
287 is HORENDOUS, don't do it. I moved away from Somerset (Willow Ave) because of the commute. It is literrally bumper to bumper traffic daily going northbound and there is no way around that. If you think you can handle it then good luck but after a year I said no more. If I were you I would live in Middlesex and take the turnpike or gsp or live in Dunellen or someplace north of 287. The whole somerset area is over croweded as it is a scenic place to live and schools are good but it is at such a high cost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 08:47 AM
 
1,235 posts, read 3,781,489 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_P View Post
Thanks you both for responding. I will definitely look into Branchburg.

We have been working with a realtor and surprisingly enough he suggested G S parkway better for commute over 287. His recommendation didn't really sink in for us as I have heard lot of contradictory information.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
Really? Where does the realtor work, Middlesex County?

You should try to drive both, back and forth, during rush hour, and see what you think before you buy anything. Or rent somewhere for a year first and see what you think. Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM
 
835 posts, read 1,094,665 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Really? Where does the realtor work, Middlesex County?

You should try to drive both, back and forth, during rush hour, and see what you think before you buy anything. Or rent somewhere for a year first and see what you think. Good luck.
Just try the commute one morning to get an idea of how bad it is,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 AM
 
1,983 posts, read 7,206,303 times
Reputation: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
287 is HORENDOUS, don't do it. I moved away from Somerset (Willow Ave) because of the commute. It is literrally bumper to bumper traffic daily going northbound and there is no way around that. If you think you can handle it then good luck but after a year I said no more. If I were you I would live in Middlesex and take the turnpike or gsp or live in Dunellen or someplace north of 287. The whole somerset area is over croweded as it is a scenic place to live and schools are good but it is at such a high cost.
287 is horrendous if you try to do it during rush hour. Why anyone in NJ would try to commute during rush hour is beyond me, you're basically making your day a lot harder than it needs to be. Regarding Somerset, Bridgewater and Branchburg are fairly reasonable towns with low taxes. I don't like Middlesex County at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 10:46 AM
 
136 posts, read 698,321 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
287 is horrendous if you try to do it during rush hour. Why anyone in NJ would try to commute during rush hour is beyond me, you're basically making your day a lot harder than it needs to be. Regarding Somerset, Bridgewater and Branchburg are fairly reasonable towns with low taxes. I don't like Middlesex County at all.
Way to paint an entire county with the same brush. Are you going to tell me that a place like Cranbury has much in common with a place like Perth Amboy. I thought you knew better than that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 AM
 
1,235 posts, read 3,781,489 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
287 is horrendous if you try to do it during rush hour. Why anyone in NJ would try to commute during rush hour is beyond me, you're basically making your day a lot harder than it needs to be. Regarding Somerset, Bridgewater and Branchburg are fairly reasonable towns with low taxes. I don't like Middlesex County at all.
  • There are very nice towns in both Middlesex and Somerset Counties.
  • 287 is a long highway. Some parts are bad, some parts are fine. Depends when and where you are going.
  • As far as why anyone would try to commute during rush hour, rush hour is actually a pretty big window (I'd say from 7-9 in the morning and 4-6:30 at night). And as to why "anyone would commute during rush hour", that is silly. To get to their jobs that they need to keep.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top