Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 8,718 times

Advertisements

I am a single parent who would LOVE to relocate from New York City to NJ. After having a child, I now realize the big city life is no longer practical I am currently pay shelling out 1,500.00 for a VERY small one bedroom. The public schools are awfully over crowded and poorly run (IMO). To add to my expense I pay an additional 8,000 a year for a “decent” private school and 250.00 a month to park my car (street parking is impossible). I want an improved life style overall for my self and child.

I located several rental communities in Princeton and Plainsboro. Some have community shuttles to the station) and I hear the public schools are very good. All have onsite parking, clubhouse, pools, and fitness centers (this a resort to a native NY’er like me!) The price range is 1300-1500, 2 beds TWO baths, washer/dryer and dishwasher
I currently wok in NYC, downtown Wall St. area and I am wondering if parents usually make a commute where there children will be over an hour way. I realize in a perfect world one parent would stay ay home (or near by) and one could commute to work. Unfortunately, my world is a bit different. Right now, my job is about 15 minutes from my daughter’s school/after care. I am sure most places in NJ , as in NY have aftercare until 6:00. I will need to arrive at work at 9 am and leave at 5pm.

Is this relocation idea impracticable for a single parent with no family or support near by?

I would love to hear some of your views/opinion to help me make my decision. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,941 times
It's not going to be easy from that area honestly. Most of the NY commuters in that area do have a spouse at home FT, or who works in the area.

I believe most of the afterschool programs though the towns end at 6 pm, so that is going to be impossible to make it there on time, leaving the city at 5 pm. You'll also need to use before school care. Another option is the Harmony School in Princeton (actually Plainsboro). They are open until 7 pm and they have afterschool programs and I believe you could get your child bussed there, although you would want to double check with the school district. And I don't know what age their afterschool programs go up to.

I think it could work for you, but I think you might really want to think about whether that is where you want to live long-term as a single parent, if your job is always going to be in the city.

You'll also want to research how long it is really going to take you, door-to-door. It could be up to two hours. I'm sure folks on here will have advice and if you search the forum a bit, you'll find information too. A local website down there is wwptoday.com if you want to ask questions there too.

Personally, I think you might just be trading your current problems for some new ones. Also, think about how you will feel being an hour (or two) away from your child during the day. It's nice to know that in 15 minutes you can be there for her.

Good luck with the decision.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,632 times
I can understand your desire to get out of the city, and relocation to NJ is not out of the question, but Princeton is very far from NYC for daily commuting for the type of lifestyle you're contemplating. The good thing is, you don't have to go so far away from NYC to find a cheaper (and in many ways nicer) place to live.

First, check out NJ Transit's website: www.njtransit.com

Here's a direct link to a map of the NJ Transit rail system:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

If you work downtown, you need to keep in mind that your one-way commute would be, on average, 90 minutes when commuting from a town with a train ride of between 30 and 45 minutes. The reason is that the train trip is only half of the journey -- you need to factor in the time it takes to get from your house to the train station, factor in transfers to the subway (or PATH) and the subway (or PATH) ride to downtown, and factor in the walk from the subway stop to your desk. Add in the necessary cushion for transfer times and unavoidable (and routine) delays, and you're looking at a 75 to 90 one-way minute door-to-door commute to downtown Manhattan from most "nice" town in NJ.

There are a number of towns within that 30 to 45 minute train trip distance, but Princeton isn't one of them.

Even with a 75 to 90 minute one-way commute (which means you really have to consider that 3 hours of your "free" time every day will be spent commuting) I would urge you to seriously consider the impact this would have on your quality of life. The commute from NJ to Wall St. is a soul-sucking drag, and I frankly cannot imagine doing it while being a single parent raising a young child.

Maybe the best strategy would be to focus on finding a job in NJ before making a move out here.

Just some words of advice from a grizzled veteran of the commute ...

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 AM

730 posts, read 2,888,077 times
Another option is to look on NJ transit maps for all the train lines that go to Hoboken instead of NYPenn Station. This way you are just a short ferry or path ride to the wall street area. Going from Penn to Wall street can take a long time.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
Another option is to look on NJ transit maps for all the train lines that go to Hoboken instead of NYPenn Station. This way you are just a short ferry or path ride to the wall street area. Going from Penn to Wall street can take a long time.
It is another option, but unfortunately not much better from a travel-time perspective for a Wall Streeter. You still have the same transfer time issue and unavoidable delays, and sadly the WTC station still puts you at about a 15 minute walk to much of the Financial District (or even more for the foreseeable future, given all the construction taking place at WTC). In the winter, with the winds, it can be brutal.

Then there is the issue of less-frequent trains into/out of Hoboken, and fewer (if any) express options so your NJ Transit trip is generally longer, albeit less crowded.

As you can tell, I've tried just about every option.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times
I'm afraid it's too far for a single parent of a young child. You'll need to be much closer than that. On the Morris and Essex line, for example, last stop for working mothers in general is Maplewood. After that you're in Stepford land.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:42 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I'm afraid it's too far for a single parent of a young child. You'll need to be much closer than that. On the Morris and Essex line, for example, last stop for working mothers in general is Maplewood. After that you're in Stepford land.
Stepford Land?

It's a sad day when mothers who take care of their own children during the day are demeaned with comments like yours.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:34 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times
Well, for all you know I'm one of them, so don't get so upset.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:40 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
People on here make some very good points. I personally think Princeton is too far to commute into the city everyday. I'm a single mom who commutes over an hour each way, I have to set up before and after care for my child once school age arrives. My day is slightly shorter than 8 hours so it is not horrible and I am not in the city so I can drive if there is an emergency.

I think there might be better options closer than Princeton. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,323 times
Hi! I am actually in the same boat. I rent a three bedroom duplex in Princeton. I was/am residing in Queens. I have been unable to physically move because I am the single mom to a three year old and I have not been able to find day care. I am physically still in NY and my daughter still attends her same day care in NY. The problem I am having is most day cares close too early, anywhere from 4:30-5pm. I need care till at least 7pm if I will be communting from NY to Princeton. Addtionally, child care is MUCH more expensive in Princeton. I will have to move into my place in Princeton by Sept or Oct. What I am thinking is perhaps finding a day care provider further north,like Norh Brunswick, driving there,dropping my daughter off and catching public transportation from there. My daughter is not yet school age so this may work for us for now. Good Luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey