Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:35 PM

13 posts, read 111,717 times

Advertisements

I live in what i believe to be an illgeal basement apartment. It has a kitchen with an exhaust and anunfinished moldy shower. It also has no ceiling and when they walk upstair dust falls among us. I live with my boyfriend and my toddler. I believe this is affecting my health as well as my childs. Althiugh we have signed no lease, the owners are his relatives and one of them lives in a room down here. i know that my boyfriend doesnt want to movebecause he feels like it is a good deal.i think its horrible and i think my child and i deserve better. This was supposed to be temporary and its been more than a year. I would really like to report the apartment because i feel as though we would like to live here forever.one of the owners works for the court systems, and im not sure if this help him. i really want to leave but he doesn't and i don't want to leave him.

i want to know how i can go about reporting the place and if i can do it annonysmously.

I want to know what will be the consequences for our family and the owners.

thank you for your help it really is a nightmare down here. we have no privacy, or rights.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:43 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
you gotta be kidding me.

man up and talk to your boyfriend if you are unhappy where you live. dont go behind his back and report his family to the police.

women.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,697,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofhelppp View Post
I live in what i believe to be an illgeal basement apartment. It has a kitchen with an exhaust and anunfinished moldy shower. It also has no ceiling and when they walk upstair dust falls among us. I live with my boyfriend and my toddler. I believe this is affecting my health as well as my childs. Althiugh we have signed no lease, the owners are his relatives and one of them lives in a room down here. i know that my boyfriend doesnt want to movebecause he feels like it is a good deal.i think its horrible and i think my child and i deserve better. This was supposed to be temporary and its been more than a year. I would really like to report the apartment because i feel as though we would like to live here forever.one of the owners works for the court systems, and im not sure if this help him. i really want to leave but he doesn't and i don't want to leave him.

i want to know how i can go about reporting the place and if i can do it annonysmously.

thank you for your help it really is a nightmare down here. we have no privacy, or rights.
No rights? You have no lease but want rights? WTF? Grow up and move out and stop complaining about things totally in your control.. Jesus...

Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 35,829 times
You need to have a talk with your boyfriend. Why hasn't he married you yet? Is he the father of your child or not? Your child's health is most important. Get a job, say goodbye to the place you are living, and move into your own place. If your bf comes along, he is responsible for half of the rent. Stop using your boyfriend as a excuse not to make good decisions for you and your child.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:06 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofhelppp View Post

Of course bcause the rent is more then likely dirt cheap...don't rat out people that were trying to help you out..grow up, get a job and move the hell out

Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,234 times
Sweet girl, you have no lease to begin with. There is no proof that you rent an apartment if there is no lease. What are you going to report?
If you are so worried about your boyfriend's reaction to your concerns, what do you think he'll do when he finds out someone reported his family after they've let you live in their basement!
You say there is a relative living in a room along with you....how do you know your child is safe with this person around?
Please, for the sake of your child, get yourself together and get out. Start looking for places, save up your money, and then tell your boyfriend you've found a new place. If he wants to come with you, fine, if not, take the steps to become independent.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:29 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
seriously this sounds like a cash deal between relatives. If you were a complete stranger that is a different story.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 PM

127 posts, read 282,745 times
I have no respect for people like you. If you don't like it, move out.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:32 PM

106 posts, read 267,534 times
Yeah, along with the few other comments here. You need Help in more than one area. But I'm gonna give you the benefit of doubt that no one has took their time to let you know anything and that maybe the reason that you are in your current situation.

1. Darling if you don't work, you can't pay bills. That makes you a dependent. Like it or not a dependent doesn't have much say as long as basic needs are met.

2. Have you figured where you will go once you do report the apartment? Nevermind the fact that his family WILL get into trouble. But the City will strip the certificate of occupancy for that area. Which will make it illegal for ANY one to stay there. Does you "Boyfriend" make enough to house you and your child as well as take care of the other bills that come with a Real Apartment?!...The city is not gonna put you in a better place.

3. Has it registered that you all are not on your on. But, living with his family....Please don't kid yourself. You guys are not independent. You have a living area and that is all. If you want more you have to do more.

4. Your boyfriend may be fine with the situation because he either knows that he doesn't make enough to support a family in the world on his own. Or he enjoys having extra money in his pocket instead of putting everything he makes to bills. Either way that is his choice. Also He's your "BOYFRIEND" not ya husband. You can still be in a realationship with out living with him....

I suggest not to kid yourself and "REPORT" your "HOME"....and rather look at yourself. Find a job, or a better paying one if you do have one. And make the sacrafice to find and RENT a place for you and your child. That is your solution. Even then it'll take sometime, but goodness realize that you need to STAND on your own two feet and make things happen to improve your life. Reporting the people that are enabling you to have some sort of roof over your head is not the way to go. From your name I would like to enocourage you to go to your nearest community center and ask for a social worker and simply state the you need help. Answer thier questions honestly and they may be the best thing for you right now. But again, every change takes time.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,234 times
I love the self-righteous attitudes here.

How do you all know what this girl's situation really is? Maybe she's can't afford to move on her own. Maybe she is afraid to confront her boyfriend. Have you considered the fact that she may have no choice and feels trapped?

Who knows what her story is but we know that she has ONE post, her user name is Inneedofhelp and all you people can do is bash her.

Oh, and good post, Changedessence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: