Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,305 times

Advertisements

I've been using Geico auto insurance for a while now, and they've been good to say the least. However, my rates went up 2 years in a row. It's not by much. We're talking about 17 dollars. I'm not in the insurance industry, and so I don't pretend to know much about insurance. However, I've been driving for ages, and haven't had a ticket or accident for ages. My car is used on the weekends as I take public transportation to work. I should be lower risk, right?

I asked the rep over the phone why this is happening. He was pleasant as I am sure he's been asked a million times now the same question. His answer was as follows:

"These are statewide rate hikes, and they have nothing to do with your driving record. The cost of medical coverage bills in NJ having been increasing dramatically over the past several years."

I decided to let it go at that point, and not grill him any further. He's just doing his job, and has no control over the rate increase. Okay. The cost of living in NJ is insane, and there is no escape unless you just decide to move to another state, which in not an option for a lot of people.

Does anyone even care anymore, or do they just accept the fact that NJ is going to be like California very soon with respect to the fiscal nightmare that is looming in this state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
Try Progressive, my rates are very reasonable. My rates actually went down when I moved back to New Jersey from Florida.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 PM

18 posts, read 47,015 times
Shop around. If you find a better rate call Geico and ask them to match or simply move coverage with another company.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:10 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,931,627 times
Have you tried other insurance companies or do you just like to complain? NJ Cure might have better rates. NJ Manufacturers (if you can get 'em) will almost certainly have better rates. Shop around. Be proactive.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:14 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,171 times
Wow my rates continuously go down with GEICO and with the same coverages too.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
I've been using Geico auto insurance for a while now, and they've been good to say the least. However, my rates went up 2 years in a row. It's not by much. We're talking about 17 dollars. I'm not in the insurance industry, and so I don't pretend to know much about insurance. However, I've been driving for ages, and haven't had a ticket or accident for ages. My car is used on the weekends as I take public transportation to work. I should be lower risk, right?

I asked the rep over the phone why this is happening. He was pleasant as I am sure he's been asked a million times now the same question. His answer was as follows:

"These are statewide rate hikes, and they have nothing to do with your driving record. The cost of medical coverage bills in NJ having been increasing dramatically over the past several years."

I decided to let it go at that point, and not grill him any further. He's just doing his job, and has no control over the rate increase. Okay. The cost of living in NJ is insane, and there is no escape unless you just decide to move to another state, which in not an option for a lot of people.

Does anyone even care anymore, or do they just accept the fact that NJ is going to be like California very soon with respect to the fiscal nightmare that is looming in this state?
Four things:

1. Medical lawsuits, warranted or not.

2. Not enough people take public transportation, there is very limited rail service in NJ to NJ destinations.

3. Too many people getting into work around 8 or 9, makes the roadS a nightmare. If more people got in at 7 or 7:30 and left around 4-4:30 there would be fewer accidents, dealth and lawsuits.

4. People drive like morons - don't yield to traffic on the left as the law states especially on acceleration lanes. JUST TO BE CLEAR - WHEN ENTERING A HIGHWAY YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO CUT SOMEONE OFF ON YOUR LEFT, YOU MUST YIELD TO TRAFFIC ON THE LEFT. YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY.

That's the bottom line. Some of it we can't control, some of it we can.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:57 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,498 times
I just got a letter warning me my premiums might go up. They just changed the territories by zip which puts your zip into a certain category based on risk. Effective this year for the whole state, doesn't matter what insurance co. So it might be that your zip code moved into a more risky category? My co. said that some zips are going to go up and some are going to go down in price and it's something they don't do very often.

http://www.njpaip.org/newjerseycarin...ges01-2009.pdf

Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Wow my rates continuously go down with GEICO and with the same coverages too.
Me too. I've had Geico for 5 years and my rates have steadily declined each year. Earlier this year we moved to a new house and our rate dropped $300/year for 2 cars.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,244 times
Mine went up $200 this year. Called 2 other companies for quotes and got even higher rates. 1 more year and I can get back into NJ manufacturers. Cant wait.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post

4. People drive like morons - don't yield to traffic on the left as the law states especially on acceleration lanes. JUST TO BE CLEAR - WHEN ENTERING A HIGHWAY YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO CUT SOMEONE OFF ON YOUR LEFT, YOU MUST YIELD TO TRAFFIC ON THE LEFT. YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY.
While I agree you do not have the RIGHT to cut someone off, one is suppose to merge into traffic so there is a give/take when an entrance ramp lane enters a highway where the cars coming on and the cars in the (far right) lane are suppose to allow a merge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey