Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:57 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
There is always a reason beautiful and reasonable (in this market) are in the same sentance.

Why don't you search on the school stats of the school systems? That would provide you percentages of whites/latinos/blacks in the schools.

God forbid you were white and asking this question. You would have been hung out to dry and your post would have been deleted by now.
Historically there has not been systemic and legal discrimination in terms of whites being allowed to live in whatever neighborhood they please....you know as well as I that the situations are not the same between blacks and whites in terms of access to housing.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Historically there has not been systemic and legal discrimination in terms of whites being allowed to live in whatever neighborhood they please....you know as well as I that the situations are not the same between blacks and whites in terms of access to housing.
It goes both ways. I don't think many people in most parts of Newark or Irvington would be too happy if whitey moved in next door. I'm not saying they'd hate white people, but I'm sure an Irishman like myself would be getting some interesting looks.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
It goes both ways. I don't think many people in most parts of Newark or Irvington would be too happy if whitey moved in next door. I'm not saying they'd hate white people, but I'm sure an Irishman like myself would be getting some interesting looks.

That does not mean it goes both ways. Mortgage discrimination, enforced segregation and disparities in school financing are hardly comparable to "interesting looks."

Old 07-26-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
That does not mean it goes both ways. Mortgage discrimination, enforced segregation and disparities in school financing are hardly comparable to "interesting looks."
Enforced segregation? What is this, the 1950s? And for the record, urban schools in New Jersey get double or triple the funding of suburban schools to the detriment of the majority of the state's beleaguered taxpayers. And furthermore, it would seem to me that many of the government's harebrained schemes to combat so-called "mortgage discrimination" inadvertently caused the collapse of the entire country's financial market.

It would be FAR more dangerous for me, as a white person, to move into Newark or Irvington than for ANY member of a minority group to move to your average suburban town ANYWHERE in this state.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:18 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
Oh please- the so called OP of this thread did not ask about how dangerous it would be. That was not the reason for this thread at all.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Oh please- the so called OP of this thread did not ask about how dangerous it would be. That was not the reason for this thread at all.
So, that does not make it untrue..

This thread is going nowhere and should be closed.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Enforced segregation? What is this, the 1950s?

The 1950s were not that long ago. Things have not changed that much.

Quote:
And for the record, urban schools in New Jersey get double or triple the funding of suburban schools to the detriment of the majority of the state's beleaguered taxpayers.
The problem in urban schools lies way beyond financing. And most urban schools in America are not well-financed.

Also, I pay taxes here too. Next?

Quote:
And furthermore, it would seem to me that many of the government's harebrained schemes to combat so-called "mortgage discrimination" inadvertently caused the collapse of the entire country's financial market.
Typical harebrained analysis. Blame the financial collapse on black people. Nice try.

Quote:
It would be FAR more dangerous for me, as a white person, to move into Newark or Irvington than for ANY member of a minority group to move to your average suburban town ANYWHERE in this state.
That may or may not be true, but it would be far more dangerous for me, as a black person, to live in Newark and Irvington than it would for me to be in my very diverse suburban town of preference. Race doesn't have a damn thing to do with that. Most people don't want to live in Irvington. But it also does not mean I could even move into some all-white neighborhood in this state because the residents would fight me tooth and nail. And yes, this has happened.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 AM

237 posts, read 1,110,812 times
What frustrates me about this site is that people have a hard time staying on topic - why do responders constantly go off in directions that do not help the person who asked the original question? There are often several pages where responders exchange comments that have nothing to do with the topic. I click on a question/comment of interest, read the original question/comment only to find that most of the dialogue is not related to what drew me to the blog in the first place.

Hey city-data how about establishing a Forum for those of us who just want to vent about whatever -you can call it the "Bit_ _ ing Forum" and this is my contribution.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORMGLO View Post
What frustrates me about this site is that people have a hard time staying on topic - why do responders constantly go off in directions that do not help the person who asked the original question? There are often several pages where responders exchange comments that have nothing to do with the topic. I click on a question/comment of interest, read the original question/comment only to find that most of the dialogue is not related to what drew me to the blog in the first place.

Hey city-data how about establishing a Forum for those of us who just want to vent about whatever -you can call it the "Bit_ _ ing Forum" and this is my contribution.
Thanks for your contribution.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
The 1950s were not that long ago. Things have not changed that much.
I suppose you've never seen a photo of our President, LOL. It's not worth debating someone who would make such a silly statement. I'm tapping out of this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey