Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 80,520 times

Advertisements

Hi! everyone:

I saw a lovely apartment in West Jersey Street in Elizabeth (New Jersey)
Is it a safe area to reside? PLEASE let me know. This apartment is just 5-10 minutes walk from Elizabeth(NJ) train station. Eagerly waiting for your response....

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 09:40 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
I've posted on this topic numerous times. Lifelong resident of the area before moving about 5 years back. Still have family in the neighborhood, but they're looking to move.

The key question: Where on West Jersey Street is the apartment is located?

If it's west of Chilton (heading towards Elmora), you're in better shape. But if it's in the Cherry St. area (closer to Broad), I'd be careful. Area's changed quite a bit in the last few years. Their was always problems with junkies and prostitutes, now the problem's worse. More rooming houses, a lot of people relocating from downtown and less of a police presence hasn't helped. And the train station is no picnic at night. You should be fine walking there in the morning, but once the sun goes down, it's a different story. My suggestion: Give North Elizabeth a try.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 AM

The lovely apartment i saw was at Chilton Towers. I did feel that the train station would be a nightmare. Thanks for your suggestion.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:01 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
No problem. But if you want a more rounded view, check out this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...zabeth-nj.html

BTW, I also noticed you were looking in Perth Amboy. That town is definitely on the upswing. I think it would be a good choice.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 AM

181 posts, read 378,408 times
The closer you are to Elmora the better. I have noticed a real decline in Elizabeth over the years but the Elmora section seems to remain a nice area. Perth Amboy is a nice choice. You should also check out Union Township

Old 04-24-2007, 01:41 PM

Thx for the info. The above weblink was too useful.
Yes, I was looking at Perth Amboy and this township is really developing with lovely apartments. The train station at Perth Amboy is again not a great place but certainly far better than Elizabeth- I heard that the thiefs in Perth Amboy are experts in stealing Honda cars. I have decided to stay away from Perth as I have a Honda
I have now moved my apartment hunting to woodbridge & Rahway. I hope it is a better place.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:03 PM

562 posts, read 2,614,738 times
you should really go by there at night.. it is not as bad as people make it seem.. you can walk and be safe.. i use to commute all the time..

Old 05-11-2007, 03:29 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchihari View Post
Thx for the info. The above weblink was too useful.
Yes, I was looking at Perth Amboy and this township is really developing with lovely apartments. The train station at Perth Amboy is again not a great place but certainly far better than Elizabeth- I heard that the thiefs in Perth Amboy are experts in stealing Honda cars. I have decided to stay away from Perth as I have a Honda
I have now moved my apartment hunting to woodbridge & Rahway. I hope it is a better place.
come on down to rahway on saturday May 12th
it is Hot Rods & Harleys Day
Fun for all to be had

Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,995 times
Does anyone know of any rooming houses in Perth Amboy, or any rooms for rent? Email me at [email]auntbrat@tmomail.net[/email] Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey