U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Location: West Orange
174 posts, read 602,806 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

I am trying to find the cheapest way of commuting to the City from West Orange. Some people suggested to check the neighboring towns for NJ Transit buses since WO does not have them and Decamp bus is much more expensive.

Do you have any clue if I can find a municipal parking in the nearest town and take the bus from there? Do you have to be a resident of the town you park your car in? What would be the price of the bus and is it worth it?

Any suggestions are helpful, please.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 AM
 
587 posts, read 2,082,865 times
Reputation: 225
decamp dosen't run through WO. You can catch the community coach at codey arena (northfield avenue). Cost is going to run you a little over $7. Cheapest method is to catch a path form newark or harrison if you can find some place to park for free.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 12:07 PM
 
Location: West Orange
174 posts, read 602,806 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
decamp dosen't run through WO. You can catch the community coach at codey arena (northfield avenue). Cost is going to run you a little over $7. Cheapest method is to catch a path form newark or harrison if you can find some place to park for free.

Well I am in Pleasantdale section of WO and DeCamp runs directly to 42nd but it's a bit pricey. I'm looking for alternatives.

http://www.decamp.com/getRoute.asp (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 PM
 
587 posts, read 2,082,865 times
Reputation: 225
wow i did not know that. its cheaper than community coach but theres no parking around there, no park and ride.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 12:34 PM
 
Location: NJ
4,918 posts, read 11,219,755 times
Reputation: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro257 View Post
Well I am in Pleasantdale section of WO and DeCamp runs directly to 42nd but it's a bit pricey. I'm looking for alternatives.

http://www.decamp.com/getRoute.asp (broken link)
You can take a train from Orange or one of the Montclair stations but that will run you about $10/day plus the cost of parking which is very limited.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 12:40 PM
 
2,161 posts, read 4,617,357 times
Reputation: 5505
If there were a cheaper way into NYC from WO, other than DeCamp or Community Coach, everyone in WO (as well as Livingston) would've found it.

A NJ transit bus from more urban areas further east will have cheaper fare, but parking in those urban areas will certainly not be free or easy to come by, and you'll waste gas driving there. Again, if this were feasible, we'd all be doing it.

Have you checked out the free bus shuttle service that takes WO residents to the train stations in Orange and South Orange?

http://www.westorange.org/index.asp?...9-C95A7FDABCBC}


Where are you working in the city? If you work near the Port Authority, I'd just take either the DeCamp or Community Coach bus. The Community Coach also stops at Essex Green shopping center...you can park there for free, but you risk getting a flier on your windshield that says "This is not a commuter lot grumble grumble grumble." But I, and other pirate parkers in that lot, have never gotten towed. Whatever. That lot was only ever 30% full (maybe 50% full during Christmas). It's just a smorgasbord of empty parking spots. Plus you can do a bunch of grocery shopping, errand shopping and pick up dinner there after you get off the bus. But, again, you gotta be careful if you're gonna stick it to the man.

If you work near Penn Station, I'd look into those free WO shuttle buses that take you to the train station.

If you work work somewhere along the PATH line in NYC (WTC, 9th St., 14th, 23rd, Herald Square), I'd consider driving to Harrison and take the PATH. Harrison has the cheapest PATH parking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 12:50 PM
 
Location: West Orange
174 posts, read 602,806 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
If there were a cheaper way into NYC from WO, other than DeCamp or Community Coach, everyone in WO (as well as Livingston) would've found it.

A NJ transit bus from more urban areas further east will have cheaper fare, but parking in those urban areas will certainly not be free or easy to come by, and you'll waste gas driving there. Again, if this were feasible, we'd all be doing it.

Have you checked out the free bus shuttle service that takes WO residents to the train stations in Orange and South Orange?

http://www.westorange.org/index.asp?...9-C95A7FDABCBC}


Where are you working in the city? If you work near the Port Authority, I'd just take either the DeCamp or Community Coach bus. The Community Coach also stops at Essex Green shopping center...you can park there for free, but you risk getting a flier on your windshield that says "This is not a commuter lot grumble grumble grumble." But I, and other pirate parkers in that lot, have never gotten towed. Whatever. That lot was only ever 30% full (maybe 50% full during Christmas). It's just a smorgasbord of empty parking spots. Plus you can do a bunch of grocery shopping, errand shopping and pick up dinner there after you get off the bus. But, again, you gotta be careful if you're gonna stick it to the man.

If you work near Penn Station, I'd look into those free WO shuttle buses that take you to the train station.

If you work work somewhere along the PATH line in NYC (WTC, 9th St., 14th, 23rd, Herald Square), I'd consider driving to Harrison and take the PATH. Harrison has the cheapest PATH parking.

I work in Midtown so I could walk or take the E train from the P.A.

I did not know of that free bus and I will check into it.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 01:39 PM
 
Location: NJ
4,918 posts, read 11,219,755 times
Reputation: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post

If you work work somewhere along the PATH line in NYC (WTC, 9th St., 14th, 23rd, Herald Square), I'd consider driving to Harrison and take the PATH. Harrison has the cheapest PATH parking.
How much is parking at the Path station in Harrison? Are spots readily available or does the lot fill up fast? The problem is then you have to deal with the traffic on 280 getting through Newark.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 01:43 PM
 
Location: West Orange
174 posts, read 602,806 times
Reputation: 36
The problem with the decamp is that they have 40 pases for 225.00 so it's a lot. I just don't understand why there is no nj transit in WO
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2009, 08:57 AM
 
2,161 posts, read 4,617,357 times
Reputation: 5505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
How much is parking at the Path station in Harrison? Are spots readily available or does the lot fill up fast? The problem is then you have to deal with the traffic on 280 getting through Newark.
Well, I haven't commuted that way in about a year, but if they haven't raised prices yet, the breakdown is like this:

Metered spots are $4 and $5 (depending on which street). These are old school meters that only take quarters. They are snatched up fast and near impossible to get.

The cheapest lot is $6 a day (they take monthlies at this lot too). This one is the furthest away....all the way at the back of NJ Railroad Ave. I have worked all different wacked out shifts and have showed up at that lot at all different hours and have been able to get a spot without having to do the paniced shark circling. I mean, you might not get the best spot, but you'll get a spot. There are closer $7/$8/$9 a day lots and also a monthly-only lot that turns out to be in the ~$7 a day range if you do the math.

With the daily lots, the parking attendants leave for the day at around 11 am or something. Don't panic. You can still park there. You just pick up an envelope and slip from the booth, stick money in the envelope, stick it in the slot in the booth, and put the slip on your dashboard saying you paid.

There is also a sort of shady, independent mom & pop lot run by this lady that owns one of those houses on Taft Pl. off of Frank E. Rodgers Blvd. (you know, by the car wash). Her house has a good size lot next to it, bordering one of the legit parking lots. She was renting parking spaces on a monthly basis (there's a sign there) for $80 a month (that's a steal...it's cheaper than the $6-&8 lots that are farther away!). There were about, I dunno...10 spots maybe? I tried to get one but she eye balled me and turned me away. Not sure why. I think it's because I look like an unreliable kid or an informant or something. That would've been sweet, though.

As far as the traffic on 280...yeah, I know. But it's really not as bad as it may seem...it's manageable. It moves at a decent pace. Of course, I'm comparing it to the Lincoln Tunnel helix, the GWB approach and the FDR.

By the way, a lot of people that take 280 East to Harrison get off at exit 16 and at the end of the ramp, they make a LEFT onto Harrison Ave. and take that to Frank E Rodgers. Blvd. This is no good! With the extra traffic and traffic lights going that way, it'll take you an extra 10 minutes to get to the parking losts/PATH. You should get off at exit 16, and at the end of the ramp, bear RIGHT onto Harrison Ave., and then make the 1st Left (there's a left-hand turn only lane with a left-turn green arrow traffic signal there, making it a no brainer) onto 1st Street. That takes you the back way to all the lots. You're there in, like, 1 minute after you get off of 280. Sorry if you already knew that. A surprising number of people don't.

Again, I haven't been that way in a year, so prices might've gone up. You can go there on a Saturday or Sunday (ghost town) to walk around and see.

Last edited by Docendo discimus; 07-28-2009 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: badd speeling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top