Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
NJ has also become a lot more affordable with the housing correction. I posted stats recently that showed the median NJ income can afford almost 120% of the median house value. That was around 80% at the peak of the market.
You sure you're not a mortgage broker or a realtor? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:42 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,182 times
No those jobs suck, you have to deal with the Joe-blows on the street.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
No those jobs suck, you have to deal with the Joe-blows on the street.
Ohh, you mean the "average NJ resident" as opposed to your elite clientele we discussed earlier?

Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 AM

You never want a job, especially a low paying job, that deals with the general public.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
You never want a job, especially a low paying job, that deals with the general public.
I hear that- that's why I got out of residential construction years ago and into commercial. I got tired of dealing with Mrs. Jones standing there in her housecoat, yelling at me because Fluffy got out through the 30' hole we had torn in the back of her house.....lol

Old 07-31-2009, 07:02 AM

Glad we can agree on something in this thread!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
"Most" New Jerseyans make tons of money and travel extensively? I think maybe you're extending your little slice of heaven further than you should- the median income in NJ is around $80k- not exactly huge dollars in a state with a high COL. "Most" New Jerseyans don't have money falling out of their pockets for lavish vacations after paying what it costs to live there. I'm assuming you don't have any kids, as you'd quickly find out that the average family isn't "traveling extensively", and a trip to Gatlinburg to relax in the mountains, isn't so far fetched.
No, not "tons of money". Try reading more carefully. I said "so much money", as in enough money to be able to travel.

Compared to people in other states, NJ'ans travel much more. That explains the license plates in Gatlinsburg. That explains the NJ plates all over the nation, unlike any other state except maybe California or Florida, even NY, which are the only other plates I see all over the USA. And, in my experience, I have met so many New Jersyans everywhere I've been, both travelers and transplants.

As for the average family, obviously with children travel is more difficult and more expensive. The state is made up of more than just families with kids. There are seniors, singles, couples with no kids, couples with grown kids, etc. But, even as families go, NJ families travel extensively, if my friends and their families are any indication. As we speak, I have 3 friends who are in Florida for vacation w/ the families. All my friends with families travel, whether it's to Cape Cod or Florida or Europe or Mexico, or anywhere else.

Quote:
And "cosmopolitan New Jerseyans"? What the hell are those, and when did they become the standard NJ traveler? Since when did NJ become the mecca of high class and culture, where a trip to Gatlinburg is somehow beneath them?
It's always been this way. Some of you just never noticed through all your whining and griping, and since you ran away you now never have the chance to see it.

Quote:
We're talking about the state that reveres the BEC sandwich and considers "goin' to the shore" a cultural experience.....lol. You're even further out of touch with reality than I previously thought.
What's a BEC sandwich and who reveres it here??? And "goin' to the shore" IS a cultural experience for New Jersey; it's part of our history and tradition. "Cultural" has a lot of meanings. For example, where you live, it's a cultural experience to go to a huge rock mountain and worship the people who fought against the USA in the Civil War so that they could retain the right to enslave black people. That's your cultural experience down there.

If anyone's out of touch with reality, Bob, it's you. You're a bitter transplant who has an axe to grind with NJ and NJ'ans and that's all you ever do in this forum. And you're angry when people point it out.

You're not even relevant to NJ. You don't live here, you have absolutely NO stake in New Jersey whatsoever. If your life in Atlanta is SOOO wonderful, then why are you even here? Still fascinated with NJ??? Are you in this forum just to continue your whine and Jersey-bashing??? Obviously you have New Jersey on your mind every day, which is a lot more than I ever even think of Atlanta. What's your obsession with NJ???

It's like Dian Giam - what's her obsession with NJ that she keeps coming back here to this NJ forum???

You people may have left NJ, but you obviously have a hard time with the "leaving it all behind" part. I think you're all obsessed with NJ the way you're obsessed with an old girlfriend or boyfriend who dumped you but you are still in love with that one... You can say how much better off you are now, but your obsession shows who you are still really in love with.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post

If anyone's out of touch with reality, Bob, it's you. You're a bitter transplant who has an axe to grind with NJ and NJ'ans and that's all you ever do in this forum. And you're angry when people point it out.

You're not even relevant to NJ. You don't live here, you have absolutely NO stake in New Jersey whatsoever. If your life in Atlanta is SOOO wonderful, then why are you even here? Still fascinated with NJ??? Are you in this forum just to continue your whine and Jersey-bashing??? Obviously you have New Jersey on your mind every day, which is a lot more than I ever even think of Atlanta. What's your obsession with NJ???
I won't bother with the rest of your post, since it's just more of your narrow, "this is how it is for me, so it's like this for everyone in the state" drivel, but I will comment on this part.

a) I'm not bitter- I have nothing to be bitter about.
b) I have no "ax to grind", and do no ax grinding
c) You're the only one who points out this supposed ax-grinding, and I have never "gotten angry about it"
d) I have no "stake in NJ"? How do you know what/where/who I "have a stake in"??? Do you know if I still have family there? Maybe I still own property there? Perhaps I own stock in companies based there? Just because someone doesn't physically live there and consider going to the shore a cultural experience (that was pretty pathetic, btw), doesn't mean they "have no stake in an area".
e) There's no "obsession" here- you on the other hand, seem to get tweaked rather easily- you may want to have that checked.

Lastly- nice post on your thread in the Atlanta forum- you showed your true colors. And you're sooooo right- everyone who moves out of NJ does so because they can't "make it in the fast-paced world", and they're just a bunch of whiners. Interesting that you're considering a move yourself- of course, you'll just play it off as "it's just for a change of scenery". Yeah, right- if NJ is everything you say it is, you'd have no need for a "change of scenery"........

Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,320 times
Quote:
I won't bother with the rest of your post, since it's just more of your narrow, "this is how it is for me, so it's like this for everyone in the state" drivel, but I will comment on this part.
You obviously don't read my posts. I never say "this is how it is for me, so it's like this for everyone in the state". I make a point of stating that everyone is different and that's why many people who leave NJ are making the right choice for themselves. Not everyone can enjoy living in NJ, and the same can be said for anywhere.

The problem is that you are hypersensitive about it. I point out that you moved because it's slow-paced down there in Atlanta and that is more your speed than the pace here in NJ is. Your hissy fit overreaction was something like, "Oh yeah, everyone in the south is a slow fat lazy slob!" Then, you go on to say that the pace in NJ is TOO fast for you and you consider the pace in Atlanta to be better. In other words, you admitted that you prefer the SLOW PACE of Atlanta in comparison to NJ.

Quote:
a) I'm not bitter- I have nothing to be bitter about.
b) I have no "ax to grind", and do no ax grinding
c) You're the only one who points out this supposed ax-grinding, and I have never "gotten angry about it"
d) I have no "stake in NJ"? How do you know what/where/who I "have a stake in"??? Do you know if I still have family there? Maybe I still own property there? Perhaps I own stock in companies based there? Just because someone doesn't physically live there and consider going to the shore a cultural experience (that was pretty pathetic, btw), doesn't mean they "have no stake in an area".
e) There's no "obsession" here- you on the other hand, seem to get tweaked rather easily- you may want to have that checked.
If you had no ax to grind with NJ you wouldn't be here arguing with New Jerseyans day after day. Heck, you even got all offended and threw a hissy fit over New Jerseyans saying "Taylor Ham", and said that it was wrong to do so, and that it should be "pork roll" - why would you care? You don't even eat it because you like bacon better or whatever, you don't ever see it down in Atlanta, you have nothing to do with it but you chimed in to belittle and mock something that is uniquely New Jerseyan. Why would you do that if you weren't bitter and had no ax to grind with NJ??? You don't see me in the Atlanta forum talking about how grits are gross and I prefer cream of wheat and grits aren't anywhere near the big deal southerners make them out to be, blah blah blah, and that's because I really don't care a whit about what they eat there. But you obvioiusly are very interested in joining in the Taylor Ham discussion with your negativity. You're bitter and obsessed.

And yes, you get angry when I point it out, that's why you lock threads and delete posts of mine, and that is why you call me "d-bag" and other epithets. People don't use invective if they're not angry. Sure, it's easy to SAY you're not angry, but your behavior and speech says otherwise.

As for your stake in NJ, you have NO stake in NJ as your home or as a resident. If you have family here, then they have a stake in NJ, not you. You are a southerner, you are a Georgian. You don't live here in NJ. But here you are, like the obsessed, stalking ex- who is trying to work out anger and hurt feelings from feeling rejected.

Why don't you embrace your life as a Georgian and focus on that? What draws you to the NJ forum???

Quote:
Lastly- nice post on your thread in the Atlanta forum- you showed your true colors. And you're sooooo right- everyone who moves out of NJ does so because they can't "make it in the fast-paced world", and they're just a bunch of whiners. Interesting that you're considering a move yourself- of course, you'll just play it off as "it's just for a change of scenery". Yeah, right- if NJ is everything you say it is, you'd have no need for a "change of scenery"........
NJ is everything I say it is. I never said it was the most perfect place on earth, nor did I ever say it had everything a state could offer. I don't have a NEED for a "change of scenery", but I would like one, for a while.

Not everyone who moves out of state is a whiner. Many go on to be happy where they are and prefer where they are while retaining fond memories of NJ as well. That's how I would be. The whiners are the ones who leave the state and then feel it's necessary to come back to NJ or to an NJ forum like this one to gloat over what they feel is their better situation. The gloating is an insult and a put-down to NJ and the people who live here.

If I move, by my choice, it will be to the Southwest. Just as NJ offers what the Southwest can't give me, the reverse is true as well. I want to live in the desert, or in Southern Cal. I can't get in NJ the things that those places offer me, regardless of costs.

If I want a lower cost of living, I'd move to Austin. Or, Las Vegas and Phoenix ower a lower cost of living in addition to an interesting place to live.

But what you would never, ever see from me, if I were to move, is me coming back to this thread to gloat, or put down NJ, or anything about NJ. Never, ever. I appreciate what NJ has given me, and what it can't give me that another place can comes with a trade-off. I will never be back here to be a negative, whining critic, like you and the other Jersey Bashers here.

And a lot of people may not point out your anger in public, but I sure get a lot of reps from people who tell me behind the scenes how right I am about your anti-NJ anger and attitude, so plenty of people DO see it.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
You

Not everyone who moves out of state is a whiner. Many go on to be happy where they are and prefer where they are while retaining fond memories of NJ as well. That's how I would be. The whiners are the ones who leave the state and then feel it's necessary to come back to NJ or to an NJ forum like this one to gloat over what they feel is their better situation. The gloating is an insult and a put-down to NJ and the people who live here.
Once again, I'll ignore 90% of your post, and just focus on one piece that proves your instability.

Here you say "Not everyone who moves out of state is a whiner. Many go on to be happy where they are and prefer where they are while retaining fond memories of NJ as well", yet in the trolling thread you started in the Atlanta forum, your last statement was something to the effect of 'the people who leave NJ are weak, and can't cut it here. They move because they can't make it inthe fast-paced, high-priced lifestyle of NJ". You can't have it both ways, bro- so which is it?

Tell you what- since you and I will obviously never agree on any of this, let's agree to leave each other's posts alone, rather than attempting to change each other's minds or prove each other wrong. Besides- eventually you'll be on your merry way to the Southwest (lord help them), and at that point, you won't be returning to the NJ forum anyway, since you'll be "fully embracing your life as a Californian", right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey