U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 AM

8 posts, read 25,395 times

Advertisements

Good day all.

I wanted to see
Just to give a short info about us:
We're a young married couple (28 / 21). I just got a new job in mid-town (around e55 and 5th) and we're making a move from Bethesda, MD. We currently live in a high-rise coop building (35+ years old, but still nice) where we're paying $1400 (all utilities incl.) with amenities like garage indoor parking, doorman, pool, gym, sauna. My understanding is that it would be difficult to find a similar building near NYC. We thought of living in NYC (Astoria, Hunters POint, Roosevalt Island) - but two biggest cons are taxes (about $7k higher than NJ) and parking, not mentioning higher rents.
So far, we looked at Wee****en, Union City, West NY, Hoboken.

We're looking for the following factors (please let me know if this is possible):
1. Commute to mid-town around 45 mins max door-to-door (do NJ Transit buses get stuck in traffic in Lincoln tunnel? or do they use a different lane?
2. <=$1500 for 1 bedroom (incl. utilities if possible). I think at this point we'd be good with any sort of apartment / house as long as it's clean, safe. NOt necessarily a condominium. We don't want a basement or a floor in a shared house.
3. reserved parking spot or garage (i think parking is a huge hassle in hoboken, weehawken - where you need to park on a different side). I would absolutely hate driving around looking for parking or switching places every night.
4. community college for my wife (i know there's hudson and there's bergen - can anyone please comment which one is better. I'm wondering if they strictly check residency status, or whether a NJ license would suffice)

Can anyone please suggest any other cities (Rutherford, South Orange)?

Also, I heard there're express buses to NYC that have the same commute time as local buses since they don't make stops.

Thank you so much
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM

5,440 posts, read 16,157,398 times
E. Rutherford actually is a great choice I think for you for the train, but Bergen Community college (in Paramus) is a ways from E. Rutherford.

Buses are fairly reliable I think and might take you closer (to Port Authority?) instead of Penn Station.

If you want this sort of new, all amenities included sort of thing you might check out these Brownstone things in Teaneck/Englewood - they are brand new but might be expensive.

I think it may come down to what sort of lifestyle you want. Like to go out, like to stay at home and use the amenities in your complex, etc.?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:40 AM

The plan to go out is in NYC, so the amenities around the apartment don't really matter much. College distance isn't a problem as well. What's an approximate travel time from Teaneck / Englewood? Do you think google maps show correct Public Transit time?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 PM

5,440 posts, read 16,157,398 times
Well teaneck and englewood are closer to the george washington bridge so the bus would go over the bridge and down. I would say 30-40 minutes or less. What do they say?

These towns are also very different than E. Rutherford. You would probably not take the bus into the city ifyou went to go drinking or partying or dining at night. I am not sure if buses run as late as trains(?). I feel safer on the train, maybe not for any good reason though.

From E Rutherford you would probably (?)take the train to the city.

Neither of these towns would have issues with parking.

Really a lot of towns are all very different so like for example E rutherford may be less diverse and more blue collar. Has a little of a down town. Teaneck... no downtown that I would want to hang out in. Englewood has a weird mix of very upscale and pretty poor.

I just mentioned those towns because I know they have like very new fancy looking apartments for rent right off of the highway. I think they call them the brownstones.

Er... I might also be getting me East Rutherford and Rutherford's mixed up. Might just be regular old Rutherford.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:06 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,383,623 times
I would say Hackensack, Fort Lee, Teaneck, Englewood, and Rutherford would be good. In Hudson County, Weehawken or even North Bergen would be good, also. Hoboken may have something in that price range these days, too.

Bergen CC is better than Hudson CC - Bergen is one of the best in the nation. Hudson is very good, also. I know that graduating from Bergen (I think this is the same w/ Hudson) with an Associate's degree guarantees admission to ANY state 4-year college or university, with the exception of Rutgers (and if grades are good, it is likely she'd get into Rutgers, also). Bergen CC is a top 100 community college, easily.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:49 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,244,830 times
Sounds like u had a good deal in MD for that price. Be prepared to pay much more for less. Port Authority is probably closer to the job than Penn, look at private buses as well.

I'm sure Hudson county college will have what she needs, the distance will make life much easier. North Bergen etc would be cheaper for what u get but probably not what u have in mind (largely latino) . I've known several people who live in one county and go to another community college. Bloomfield will nicely fit ur budget but door to door will be over 45min unless u drive.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 AM

Thank you everyone for such detailed info regarding the colleges.

I know that commute to Mid-town East isn't that easy from NJ. What about Penn Station -> Subway option? Are there any places in NJ that would be easily reachable by train.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 AM

53 posts, read 302,290 times
You can always check out the AvalonBay Communities in Lyndhurst and Rutherford. The communities are very nice, but the rents are way high. If you wanted a 1 bedroom you MIGHT get close to your price range, since they have dropped prices (not for current residents, of course) given the recession. The Rutherford community is right by the train, but the Lyndhurst one is about a 10 minute walk from the bus - not great in the winter or rain. You can always drive to the train, though, where parking is free.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 AM

53 posts, read 302,290 times
To answer your question on the Lincoln Tunnel: Until about 10:00, buses take a designated bus lane on 495 (the main road leading into the tunnel) that generally moves pretty fast. The tunnel itself can be slow since there is no bus lane in the tunnel itself, but it really depends on the day. Some days you'll fly through, some days it'll be slow.

Of course, if your commute is in the middle of rush hour, the odds of hitting traffic go up. If you beat the rush on the early side or go into work slightly later (for example, if you work 10-6), then the traffic is much lighter.

Bergen Community College just opened a new campus in the Lyndhurst office park (not far from Rutherford), but I am not sure how large their offerings are.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 11,674 times
Hi there, I have a condo in Union Township I am renting it for 1500 + utilities but its negotiable. Its a very quiet condo and beautiful exclusive are but at the same time close to everything, Kean University and the train station where you can park your car is 7 minutes away. Also you can walk to the bus to NYC and it will take you 35 minutes to get to NYC. I put my ad on OXL look for 901 Stuyvesant Ave, Union NJ. Google maps have a very detailed view of it and the area. E-mail me at cygonline@msn.com.Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey