Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:25 AM

429 posts, read 1,864,038 times

Advertisements

NJ keeps running an ad featuring Bon Jovi promoting visiting their beaches.
The most memorable scene features the Cape May lighthouse.

It got me thinking.
I've never vactioned in NJ and really had no desire.
I like the Outer Banks because of the surf and seclusion once you get out of the main strip.
I also like how the water is nice and warm.

NJ has always struck as, well, NJ, overcrowded beaches, trashy, with boardwalks, mild water, so so surf, nothing special and not the most cleaneast.

I'm wondering, I know some of you might be partial, but what is the NJ shore like in general and in particular, Cape May?

Is it average like Ocean City, MD, or is it pretty warm, with a good surf, and quiet like parts of the Outer Banks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 06:10 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
NJ keeps running an ad featuring Bon Jovi promoting visiting their beaches.
The most memorable scene features the Cape May lighthouse.

It got me thinking.
I've never vactioned in NJ and really had no desire.
I like the Outer Banks because of the surf and seclusion once you get out of the main strip.
I also like how the water is nice and warm.

NJ has always struck as, well, NJ, overcrowded beaches, trashy, with boardwalks, mild water, so so surf, nothing special and not the most cleaneast.

I'm wondering, I know some of you might be partial, but what is the NJ shore like in general and in particular, Cape May?

Is it average like Ocean City, MD, or is it pretty warm, with a good surf, and quiet like parts of the Outer Banks?
cape may is a great place to vacation at, nice beaches, good restaurants nice places to stay,and while there are people on the beach it isn't crazy crowded.

One thing about the jersey shore, it is big, and every town has a distinct personality, there really is a town for everyone, do you like action and crowds? try wildwood or seaside, do you want peace and quiet? ocean city, lavalette come to mind, then there are the family type towns, towns that cater to day trippers, towns that cater to the 20 somethings, look around I am sure there is a beach town that could suit anyone's tastes

Old 05-25-2007, 09:02 AM

36 posts, read 176,363 times
Cape May is very nice, but the true gem of the shore is Avalon. Check out Avalon and Stone Harbor.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergusonDechert View Post
Cape May is very nice, but the true gem of the shore is Avalon. Check out Avalon and Stone Harbor.
How is Avalon the gem?
Honestly it's hard to think of vactioning to NJ.
When I think of the beach I think peace, quiet, nature, opposites of NJ.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
How is Avalon the gem?
Honestly it's hard to think of vactioning to NJ.
When I think of the beach I think peace, quiet, nature, opposites of NJ.
it's obvious you don't have any clue

Old 05-25-2007, 03:22 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I love Wildwood Beach/Boardwalk. It is not known for being peaceful and quiet! It is very lively, with rides, a ferris wheel, little stores, food shops...the sand is super soft. I don't swim, so I appreciate that you can walk pretty far out into the ocean and the water stays shallow for quite a distance.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:55 PM

142 posts, read 537,030 times
I used to travel down to Wildwood in my younger years. It had the best of both worlds. In North Wildwood, Zabers probably had the best restaurant in all of Wildwood and Miss Kitty's featured some great live entertainment.

The main center of Wildwood (by the boardwalk) is geared more towards teens to mid 30s crowd. The boardwalk is about 2 miles long and is serviced
by a tram car. .......Watch the tram car please! Very family friendly compared to Seaside IMO.

South Wildwood attracted quieter, older folks. I believe it was dry
which helped cut down on the wild parties. Bal Harbor used to be the upscale
motel on the ocean featuring a restaurant on the first level.

Cape May has a fee for using their beaches but it is very clean. Many Victorian Homes have been restored in Cape May. "Angel of the Sea" is worth visiting. Built in 1850, the home has been converted to an Inn. It is an airy, Victorian 'painted lady.' Completely renovated in 1988 by John and Barbara Girton.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:04 PM

34 posts, read 180,305 times
Default Avalon/Stone Harbor

I have wonderful memories of vacationing in Avalon as a child (60's-70's) and Stone Harbor as an adult. I was extremely fortunate that my Grandmother had a home in Avalon, steps from the beach. Our family had gone to Avalon since the 1950's and then the home was sold for a sum in the 1970's, today that prime real estate would sell for an unbelieveable amount. The beaches are still well known in Avalon/Stone Harbor. When I was a kid they beaches were enormous and the sand just right.
Back in the those early years, everyone knew everyone, and it was all about the families.
It was small town, the bakery, the 5&10, a few bars, a restuarant here and there.
Like every other gem in the USA, they were discovered more and more and now the Real Estate is some of the highest on the Eastern seaboard.
It still has alot of those same characteristics, however the crowd is more elite/preppy, and has lots of wealth.
As great as those memories are I still love visiting the Jersey shore from Avalon and Stone Harbor to the Wildwoods to Cape May and a little "ching ching" at Atlantic City. However it is not the "Outerbanks" or Cape Cod, or even the Hamptons (that's another group entirely), but a great place for folks from the Mid Atlantic to get away and still go to the seashore.
So I can see why people from other parts of the USA visit and say "ok" its nice but I can't figure out why everyone might rave about it and come in droves.
One key reason I can say, is that whenever someone was going to the Shore, they always seem to know someone there or someone knew someone else and so on. Before you know it it is one big family party of friends/family/workmates/college friends,etc.
The Jersey Shore has gotten crowded and expensive but there is still something about it, that those who go, just love it.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:18 PM

My impression of the NJ shore is just that, a nice place to go to get to the beach if you live nearby, but otherwise overcrowded, average beaches, water, surf, and scenery that is not in the league of NE beaches of the Outer Banks.
In other words nice for nearby locals to get away for a couple days but not some place people from out the area spend close to a week.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
My impression of the NJ shore is just that, a nice place to go to get to the beach if you live nearby, but otherwise overcrowded, average beaches, water, surf, and scenery that is not in the league of NE beaches of the Outer Banks.
In other words nice for nearby locals to get away for a couple days but not some place people from out the area spend close to a week.
then you really don't know the NJ shore, sure some towns are as you describe but there are others that are like gems, fantastic places to spend time, millions of people have fond memories of growing up on the shore, take some time, slow down and find one place that works for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey