Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 17,293 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!!! I'm relocating to New Jersey and hoping to be there by the end of the year.

I have family in Montville, my BF lives in Wildwood.

Right now I'm trying to find a job ( I have 8 years exp in the administrative field; ap/ar, IT, contractual ) I have an 8 year old daughter as well.

Right now I'm looking to be up North near my family, my question is how is the job market for someone will my skill set and experience?

What are the odds of finding a company to help with the relocation? Also, are there any websites you can refer me to for jobs within the Montville area. After being in Los Angeles County...the last thing I want to do is drive over 10 miles for work!

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSinD View Post
Hello everyone!!! I'm relocating to New Jersey and hoping to be there by the end of the year.

Right now I'm trying to find a job ( I have 8 years exp in the administrative field; ap/ar, IT, contractual ) I have an 8 year old daughter as well.

Right now I'm looking to be up North near my family, my question is how is the job market for someone will my skill set and experience?

What are the odds of finding a company to help with the relocation? Also, are there any websites you can refer me to for jobs within the Montville area. After being in Los Angeles County...the last thing I want to do is drive over 10 miles for work!

thank you!
10 miles? 10 miles is nothing.

Check out the usual websites monster, career builder, nj.com

Employment market isn't very good right now. Plenty of people can't find work. I would find a job first and then move near it.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 AM

Yes - I've decided not to spend my life living for a commute!! lol

Which is why I'm starting to look now.

I'm expecting it to take a few months..possibly near the end of the year to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:11 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
The chances of getting a company to help pay relocation costs for an admin are slim to none. With the job market as poor as it is right now, many companies aren't paying relo even for higher-paid positions- candidates are happy to pack up and move just to have a job.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,267 times
10 mile commutes in suburban NJ are very rare.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:50 AM

hmm.. well i guess I got lucky finding the 10 or so jobs I have within 10 miles then?

Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

thank you!
Wow, I would love to have only a ten-mile commute to work...have no idea what that's like!

Like everywhere in the county, the job market sucks in Jersey right now...and like everywhere, if you persevere you will find something.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
hmm.. well i guess I got lucky finding the 10 or so jobs I have within 10 miles then?
Probably, but you are moving to the most densely-populated state in the nation. You can't compare California to here.

There are exceptions to everything, but the basic rule of thumb is that where the good jobs are, it's much more expensive to live.

I work in Manhattan--a 30-mile commute, and I've been doing it for 30 years. You don't have to work in the city, of course, but that's where many of the better-paying jobs ARE, including the type of work you are seeking.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Probably, but you are moving to the most densely-populated state in the nation. You can't compare California to here.

There are exceptions to everything, but the basic rule of thumb is that where the good jobs are, it's much more expensive to live.

I work in Manhattan--a 30-mile commute, and I've been doing it for 30 years. You don't have to work in the city, of course, but that's where many of the better-paying jobs ARE, including the type of work you are seeking.
Actually, you can compare CA to NJ- at least the part the OP is in. While CA as a whole isn't as dense as NJ, LA County has almost twice the population density of NJ.

And if you think that NJ is expensive, try buying a house in LA County- a 2 br 1930's bungalow that needs to be knocked down will run you $500k.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM

I might add that my BF will be taking 50% of our cost of living which would allow me to accept something closer to home.

Even here in Cali, I never have taken in job in Los Angeles.

I'm always within 10 minutes of home - 15 tops.

Thanks for the information though, I will keep my fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey