Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 36,924 times

Advertisements

Hey, I am currently looking to buy a condo/apartment and have been looking in Weehawken, Union City where it borders weehawken and West New York. I have read a number of threads about these areas but am having trouble really figuring out which areas are more safe and less run down than the others. I actually went and checked out a few places in WNY right around Blvd East and, as said in other threads, it's nice right on the blvd but even a block or two back gets kind of run down and looks like it wouldn't be the safest area at night.

I Also drove through what I believe is the reservior area of weehawken, around the 20s (street number), and that seemed very nice over there however I was only on that side of the reservior - what's the other side the union city side like, any input on this area?

Lastly, What's the western border of weehawken, where it meets up with Union City like, roughly around the mid 40's and like slightly west of park ave? Anymore color anyone could provide would be very much appreciated as I tend to hear over and over in threads that a few blocks makes a huge difference in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 PM

8 posts, read 27,170 times
How do you feel the parking is going to be in the area? I'm looking at the same towns, but it's kind of harsh with parking I believe. Also, there're so many houses with cages on 1st floor windows.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,344 times
Parking is a ***** anywhere in Hoboken, UC, JC and probably Weehawken area as well. If you get there before 6pm, usually parking is ok, anything after 9 at night, good luck. Glad I have a driveway and additional parking lot across the street for $100 a month.

Near the resevoir and weehawken/UC border on palisade ave is very nice, and nice views. Behind that is New York Ave I believe, also not a bad street and not one I would get sketched out on.

There are a lot of variables as to how good or safe the area is. There are a lot of different parts of town that are better or worse then others, and its how you carry yourself and who you are that could make a difference. Im just an average white male, no problems so far near my end of town (closer to Hoboken/JC border)

Old 07-29-2009, 09:18 PM

37 posts, read 171,630 times
Try the woodcliff area of north bergen. 25 minutes to midtown.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:04 AM

I've heard other people say woodcliff area, I am not terribly familiar with north bergen where exactly is the woodcliff area? Is it just the area surrounding the north hudson park?? basically north guttenberg?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:16 AM

8 posts, read 50,535 times
The "Reservoir Area" has the Troy Towers co-op buildings. Is that where you're looking into? I've been there once, and it seemed quite nice. I haven't heard great things on the other side of Union city however.

I am planning on buying a co-op at Troy Towers, and if someone here has more info, I could use the help as well.

OP: ** sorry to leech your post **

Old 07-30-2009, 07:18 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
I'm moving into a 450sq ft studio apartment off Boulevard East in Weehawken next month for $900/month with $125/month for offstreet parking. Its the first stop stop from NYC and last stop before heading into NYC Perfect for my fiance and I since she works in the city and I work in NJ. Area is safe as long as you don't go too far west. I know I'll be sticking mostly to Hoboken further south to hang out as well as all along Boulevard East.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 AM

I started looking in the woodcliff area of North Bergen and for the amount of square footage it seems really really cheap, particulary at a place called Woodcliff Gardens. Does any body know why this is? Is this not a nice area, because the places seem really nice, right next to park with views of NYC....seems like the prices are extremely cheap? Are the Co-ops here going under?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Also, I forgot to ask, can anyone who actually lives in North Bergen (by the park) give an acutal estimate of the time to get into Port Authority, ealier post said 25 minutes but seems like it would take longer because there are a TON of stops along blvd east and I would imagine during morning rush hour the bus probably makes all the stops....

Old 08-01-2009, 07:54 AM

11 posts, read 35,680 times
I have lived in UC my whole life which is 26 years and all the parts of UC you have mentioned are great areas. I live on 21st and NY Ave while growing up and never had any issues. I currently live in the Park City Grande on Park Ave and I definitely recommend this area to buy in now. It is changing everyday and for the better. There are multiple projects going on not only condos but also city improvements and renovations. I would go with Park ave in the 40s as my suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey