Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:50 PM

12 posts, read 66,871 times

Advertisements

I bought my condo for a very modest price and with my own elbow grease renovated with my husband and now I am a yuppie? I have a middle class income. Also my building is condo, and when I bought here it had No cash flow and myself and my other young neighbor who is middle class turned the building around though lots of weekends spent painting, Landscaping the building ourselves, doing bookeeping and organizing the owners in the buiding. Now 3 years later the building is in great shape through our hard work and worth a lot more money. I think people came here because it was an affordable buy and worked on fixing their own proprties to raise the value. Also the rising prices have to do with the fact that there is no land left to build on in Hoboken and Union City.

There are plenty of affordable rentals here in the heights-many, in fact.
There are still plenty of cheap condos to buy as well. There are only a couple of expensive buildings primarily on Odgen Ave with views of the city.

This area will be in demand due to it's proximity to nyc - love it or leave it-
My building is a mix of every skin color imaginable so what was your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 08:30 AM

32 posts, read 166,930 times
Union City, despite what everyone is telling you, is not mostly Cuban...(not anymore at least) Downtown Union City is now mostly Dominican. In any event the city is mostly people who immigrated from Latin America. As for the schools, Union City is one of the best performing urban districts in the state (most of the test scores don't reflect that Union City has a large percentage of its student body that are limited in their ability to speak and understand English). But, it's an urban district and you have all the issues that go along with urban schools. However, the Union City Public Schools are MUCH SAFER than the Jersey City Public Schools. There is a new Union City High School going up on Kennedy BLVD. State of the art school. As for crime, Union City has problems, but from my personal experience there seems to be less crime in Union City then the Heights.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 PM

7 posts, read 24,480 times
How does Jersey City Heights real estate market compare to the Downtown area near grove st path. I know its a bit more expensive, however, there is a ton of building over there. Is that a good sign that the market will boom? Im am currently researching areas to buy my first home, and have been considering JC heights, union city and JC Grove st area.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:04 PM

52 posts, read 149,795 times
Growing up in Jersey City most of my life. I would not ever consider buying a home there .
Invest your good money somewhere else like Cranford or Madison NJ .
Jersey city has a very high crime rate and is very corrupt.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:26 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,619,874 times
No building or Condo in the JC Heights is worth over 500K. You have to be nuts in todays real estate market to pay 500K for a condo on Ogden Avenue. When we were kids you wouldn't walk that area at night because some skell would stick you and rob your money. Well I guess the Yuppies are good for something, they are pushing out the poor people. Gotta love it, welcome to the JC Heights.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:29 PM

17 posts, read 81,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njxbean View Post
How does Jersey City Heights real estate market compare to the Downtown area near grove st path. I know its a bit more expensive, however, there is a ton of building over there. Is that a good sign that the market will boom? Im am currently researching areas to buy my first home, and have been considering JC heights, union city and JC Grove st area.
Grove St. is definitely up and coming. Plenty of restaurants, easy access to NYC, Hoboken, Newport, etc. Trump Towers is going up only a few blocks away from the Grove St. PATH, that should tell you something.

The Heights is definitely less expensive. The closer to the light rail you are, the higher the price of the real estate. The Heights is not as safe as Downtown (I'm not saying the Heights is dangerous, just has more crime). There is crime anywhere you go, but from my experience there is more crime in the Heights now compared to the Grove St. area.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 AM

Its ashame because when growing up in Jersey City they were known to have some of the best public any state had to offer. The education was best to none. I may not live there anymore but I find it hard to believe its's no good.....I believe the schools are still good?

Old 11-13-2007, 06:07 PM

17 posts, read 81,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza216 View Post
Its ashame because when growing up in Jersey City they were known to have some of the best public any state had to offer. The education was best to none. I may not live there anymore but I find it hard to believe its's no good.....I believe the schools are still good?
Zaza,

I don't necessarily think the "schools" are bad per se. The problems in the schools typically reflect the problems in the community in which the school is located. I teach Emotionally Disturbed teenagers in Union City. I couldn't begin to explain what my day is like. Most people cannot relate. Yesterday for example, while working lunch duty (I give up my lunch to watch the kids), my boss sat a third grader down in the cafeteria for lunch detention. This third grader, who is no more than 8 or 9 years old proceeded to call a teacher, "A f***ing f*gg*t", then told a security guard who came over to calm him down to get out of his f***ing face before he punched him. Remember, this is a third grader! So whose fault is this that a third grader is behaving this way? The school gets blamed when this child doesn't pass the state exams, but if we're going to be honest, the fault truly lies with the parents.

The Jersey City School District, in general, has more problems than Union City. It is not because they have bad teachers (and there are bad teachers everywhere), or bad administrators, crumbling buildings, or all the students are "bad" (which is certainly not the case!!!). You will find, the neighborhoods with the most crime, have the lowest academically performing schools. Of course, schools who can select their students based on academics and behavior do not apply here.

I must apologize for this post which was poorly written and probably riddled with grammatical errors...Again I apologize, this was hastily written.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 AM

Hi jersey79,
OMG ...this is so sad...I was just thinking positive and I guess didn't want to think it has gotten that bad. You truly sound like a great teacher that cares. You are right...it starts with the parents and what kind of enviorment the kids are exposed to. If this is what it is like home this is what they believe is the right way to act on the outside with out any fear of getting corrected . The parents are probably way out there and In my opinion if the children act like this the parent or parents just let the system worry about it. There should be no tolerence for this but I am sure the poor teachers have almost no say what should be done. The world is getting so bad and until we are able to take it back without being blamed for discriminating against anyone.
Teachers in my opinion are the key to correcting these problems and to begin with are underpaid for what they do. I think they should have more power and authority without any interference as to how they perform their jobs . This also goes for police officers and firefighters. Good luck to you !

Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 PM

32 posts, read 90,372 times
Hi Guys,

I'm interested in seeing a place on Crescent Avenue in the JC Heights. What's the easiest way by public transportation to get there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey