U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 13,195 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer?
Which is poised for more growth in thw coming 5 - 10 years?
How is the commute every day during rush hour to Manhattan?
How are the schools?
Grocery shopping?

We are considering a move and would love all feedback from those familiar with the area, especially regarding transportation and quality of life for a budding family.

Sincere thanks,
Michelle Sydney
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:04 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,432,846 times
See below for responses in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Sydney View Post
Which do you prefer? I don't prefer either. Both are overcrowded and overpriced. Union City is the most densley populated town in the state of NJ, and there's little parking available.

Which is poised for more growth in thw coming 5 - 10 years? Jersey City will probably see more growth, as there's no available land to build on in Union City, and little industrial property to take down and build condos in the place of (which is what's happening in JC).
How is the commute every day during rush hour to Manhattan? Depends in where you're trying to get to in Manhattan, and which town you choose. You'll also need to decide in you want to take the train or the ferry, which will again depend on where you work.
How are the schools? Both towns are "Abbott Districts" which means that the state was required to pump money into them to help build new school for their failing school systems. The state squandered $8 billion on that program, and got almost nothing accomplished. Jersey City got a few new schools finished, while Union City got some repairs done (I don't think any of the new schools in UC got built). Both towns got a small fraction of what they were supposed to get, and it shows. Plan on private schools if you want your kids to succeed.
Grocery shopping? I can't comment on that.

We are considering a move and would love all feedback from those familiar with the area, especially regarding transportation and quality of life for a budding family. Depends on how you define "quality of life". In my opinion, neither place is a great place to raise a family, but obviously lots of people disagree, since they live there. Your mileage may vary.

Sincere thanks,
Michelle Sydney

Old 04-23-2007, 08:52 AM

3,192 posts, read 4,537,942 times
Not too familiar with Union City but I dont' recommend Jersey City. While it's growing and there has been an apparent influx of 20something working people, I would not wait to raise kids there.

There are many people who live there, many families, but there is considerable crime. I've seen young men fight a few times, both late at night and not so late; I've personally called the police several times, both because of violence and because these youths drive by with their car stereos blasting in the middle of the night.

A lot of these youths live in Housing projects in Hoboken near Shoprite. Ironically these projects are next door to newly built, expensive apartment complexes that cater to well-to-do yuppie types. These youths often take the 9th Street Light Rail Elevator to connect between the projects/Shoprite area to the Heights (Jersey City Heights).

Jersey City has high auto theft stats. Do not know much about schools, but I don't like the area much. I live there now primarily due to its easy commute - admittedly, getting to lower or midtown Manhattan is not hard with the buses and light rail going to Hoboken, from where one can take ferry boats to Manhattan or the Path Train, either to 33rd Street or to the World Trade Center.

If you live close enough to the 9th St. light rail area, getting to the new Shoprite in HOboken is easy; it's a great supermarket. The Pavonia Newport mall, with a movie theater, and stores like Macy's, is also easily reachable by light rail. But unless you're a single professional or if you have no plans to have kids for now, I would NOT recommend Jersey City. My experience there has been good primarily due to the low rent and the extremely easy and reliable transportation to and from New York City. But other than that you may wish to look elsewhere. I myself am planning to leave Jersey City ASAP.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:54 AM

209 posts, read 1,632,059 times
The Heights does have a bit of crime (although its not generally serious crime), and Jersey City schools are mostly not great (although apparently the Abbott pre-school program is pretty good and of course McNair Academic is often ranked as the best public high school in NJ).

But the Heights is a good area for people who recognize that it's an urban area, and not a suburb of all--think of it as sort of like Queens, with densely packed 2-family houses. If you are one of the many 20- or 30- somethings without school-age kids looking for something close to Manhattan and want more space than you can get in Hoboken, it could be a good option.

But every block is different, and it pays to look at any place you are considering at different times of day to get a feel for the neighborhood.

Also keep in mind that the Heights is a very diverse area (with people of all sorts of nationalities, backgrounds, races, etc.) while Union City is heavily Cuban and might be a little more tight-knit (but also harder to become active in the community if you aren't Cuban or don't speak any Spanish).

Old 04-23-2007, 03:52 PM

359 posts, read 2,506,184 times
Jersey City Heights is more diverse. Union City is mostly Cuban. Union City is going to be safer than Jersey City Heights. If i had to choose I would pick either of them because they both are convenient to everything and there is alot to do and both "relativley" safe.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:23 PM

20 posts, read 136,521 times
I agree with CrazyJerzyKidUNO except about Union City being Cuban it used to be that way now there are alot of different Latinos there. As far as family, I don't know, I guess if the kids are young it's ok, but once they start school I am not sure you would want to live in either town unless you look into private schools. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 12,676 times
I read all your posting. Here's a few words from me.

Not familiar with Unions City, but we have been looking to buy house in Jersey City Heights. Of course, I did my homework. the Heights maybe considered not the safest area, but better than Newark or other crapy areas in New Jersey.

According to some market housing research and statistical data, the Heights showing very good promises because new developments and light rail train. This place has potential to become 'next Hoboken'. I know a lot of young couples, who sold their Condos in Hoboken, and bought big one/two family house up in Jersey City Heights. If you bought two family house on Ogden Avenue on 2005 or even late 2006 around 350k, it now worths well over 500K. talking about real estate value? here ya go!

Now, you can't even afford an house on Ogden Avenue, can you?

What do you think it is going to happen next? New York Avenue? Palliside Avenue, Webster Avenue, Congress Avenue? you name it!

Of course, as always proven fact that, more young professional people from NYC, Hoboken is going to move up there because of afford ability. When that happens (and is happening now), the place become more safe, and better to live.

How many of you actually take a walk in Jersey City Heights currently (anything below Central Ave and up to Ogden Avenue, and look around? A lot of old houses, buildings are being renovated/converted for Condos, new buildings are rising, a lot of house sales sign everywhere. Don't think that people are escaping from the area because too many house sales, that's because they bought their houses couple years ago with laughable low price, and now they are selling for higher price!

Who do you think buys them? yes. you guessed right; not low income people of course. So the truth is people with high income are moving up there. Once this change happens, what do you think how Jersey City Heights will look like?

Here's one from New York Times " Donald Trump is coming to the Jersey City Heights. He is buying up land and houses all along Palisade Avenue"

Let me give you another sample: LIC (Long Island City). A few years ago, this area was worst; drug dealers on the corner, prostitutes on the street, stripclubs...I know because I live next door, Astoria. When my real estate broker told me to buy one family house in Court House street in LIC a few years ago, I told him "You are crazy nuts!..I don't want to move there and next I would be rubbed or killed". But he knew it something coming big, which was east river development, over 10,000 condo complex...etc....do you know how much per sq. feet goes there now? make a wild guess? it is $800 per sq. feet.

Of course, I might be bombarded by you guys comments, but that's fine. Sometimes you have to listen your guts and take a risk. and ask yourself; if I buy an house today, can I sell in good price in 5 years and move to suburb area? that's the ultimate question.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:46 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,155,234 times
The only areas in that area would be along Boulevard East in North Bergen, Guttenburg, West New York, and Weehawken as well as the Waterfront Condos/Townhomes along the Hudson River in Jersey City. Of course you have the town of Edgewater in Bergen county which has built up and housing is steeply priced.

I'm a long time resident (most of my life) of this area and have mixed feelings on what this immediate area of NJ has become.

Any other area in this vicinity I would NOT raise kids in.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:42 PM

12 posts, read 64,585 times
I am with TigerWalk- he is right on the money ---no pun intended. I drive into NYC in 10 minutes. I purchased a duplex condo with parking on Palisade ave and have tripled my $$$ in 3 years. (I did do some renovations) There is major construction going on up here- Hoboken is built out completely! back to the cliffs which is Jersey City Heights. There is a step bridge down to Hoboken with a park that will be built at Paterson Plank and 1st st where it meets Mountain RD. The steps go down to the 2nd st light rail stop in Hoboken. The neighborhood is in flux but is heading up and up. As far as schools go, you have to ask someone else, I'm going private/catholic for personal choices. On the down side it is a bit dirty, and loud at times. The best super market is Stop and Shop on Central but honestly I drive to Newport to the various malls and stores. (2 min) If you have a car is is great everything is really close. My husband and I eat out in Hoboken all the time and can walk there as well because we are right at the top of the cliffs by 1st street. Hope this helps you-

Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,873,721 times
Great another area that middle income people making in the 5 figures are being pushed out of. I guess that if an apartment that rented for $1,100 a month three years ago rents for $2,500 a month now it means that the neighborhood has 'arrived'

Do you know what the reported, or 'alleged' average or median income is in Jersey City (not Hoboken)?? About $50,000 or less. So we know that the target customer that the real estate agents want are NOT people who grew up in the JC area or even in the 5 boros of NYC (excluding Manhattan) but the six figure earning 20 something WASPS from the west coast & middle america.

Who in todays real estate market where housing inventory is at a 16 year high & banks tightening credit standards is going to be able to buy a condo for $500,000 in Jersey City Heights??

The media outlets in this area especially the NY Times & NY Magazine thinks that everyone in the NYC metro area is making $200,000 a year or more and can pay these prices that someone said about those in So Cal -- So absurd that they are silly.

Do you think that this is a good thing, that Jersey City is now an extention of Manhattan which the same type of people (vapid, self absorbed yuppies) who are scared of anyone who is too dark??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey