Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 04:34 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times

Advertisements

I watched my Dad die from colon cancer that had spread to the adrenal glands and other organs.
We finaly agreed to Hospice for pain management. Those folks did all they could to make him comfortable.
On one of his lucid days he told us he didn't want to die in there. We took him home and the hospice nurse came to the house everyday. She told us he might last another week or 10 days.
He held on for almost 6 weeks.
I think he lasted that long because he was concerned about my Mom, his kids, and grandkids.
It was the worst weeks of my life watching a once strong man who I considered my hero and could do anything become a helpless human being with no chance to ever get out of bed again. It was a relief when it was over. Not because we wanted it, but because we knew it was his time and his suffering would be over.
And the stress of seeing his last days would be a thing of the past but remembering him for what he was would last as long as we live.
Neither I, or anyone else in the family would want him to think we gave up on life because he left us. He would want us to carry on and do what we need to do.
We will do that and have done that. That would make him proud. He wouldn't accept anything less.
My Dad died almost 14 years ago. I still love and miss him. But I live my life in such a way as to make him proud of me. That is the best tribute I can give him and he is at peace and free of sickness and pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I watched my Dad die from colon cancer that had spread to the adrenal glands and other organs.
We finaly agreed to Hospice for pain management. Those folks did all they could to make him comfortable.
On one of his lucid days he told us he didn't want to die in there. We took him home and the hospice nurse came to the house everyday. She told us he might last another week or 10 days.
He held on for almost 6 weeks.
I think he lasted that long because he was concerned about my Mom, his kids, and grandkids.
It was the worst weeks of my life watching a once strong man who I considered my hero and could do anything become a helpless human being with no chance to ever get out of bed again. It was a relief when it was over. Not because we wanted it, but because we knew it was his time and his suffering would be over.
And the stress of seeing his last days would be a thing of the past but remembering him for what he was would last as long as we live.
Neither I, or anyone else in the family would want him to think we gave up on life because he left us. He would want us to carry on and do what we need to do.
We will do that and have done that. That would make him proud. He wouldn't accept anything less.
My Dad died almost 14 years ago. I still love and miss him. But I live my life in such a way as to make him proud of me. That is the best tribute I can give him and he is at peace and free of sickness and pain.
another gut wrenching post! A real tear jerker. I have been reduced to a ball of wax on this post! I am in tears. I have become an emotional sap right now. This post is very touching. Its also very depressing, six weeks !!!! Ohh God thats just plain horrid. Back to the E. Allen Poe novel!! Terrible time for you and your family. However remember at least we had time!!!

Thanks again its nice you have great memories of Dad. Marilyn

Old 08-05-2009, 07:26 AM

220 posts, read 745,284 times
Good Speed Marilyn. Amazing stories of life shared on this forum, almost wish I had thought to post while I waited for my Dad to pass. Keep well, remember to take care of yourself. I pray for your Mom to pass painlessly. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ~LuLu View Post
Good Speed Marilyn. Amazing stories of life shared on this forum, almost wish I had thought to post while I waited for my Dad to pass. Keep well, remember to take care of yourself. I pray for your Mom to pass painlessly. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
sorry I cant do speed anymore, I quit drugs. But Im glad its good! Only kidding. At least I have not lost my sense of humor.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:31 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times
my mother had a cardiac arrest where she stop breathing and her heart stop...she was on a ventilator for several mos...she could not breath on her own....i watched her die right before my eyes...she past away this past memorial day weekend...my heart goes out to anyone who has to go through this

Old 08-05-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
my mother had a cardiac arrest where she stop breathing and her heart stop...she was on a ventilator for several mos...she could not breath on her own....i watched her die right before my eyes...she past away this past memorial day weekend...my heart goes out to anyone who has to go through this
thanks for posting your story. I have never seen your name /names before on the nj board. Are you donnie or donna? Sorry aobut mom, terrible. I guess she was in a coma and did not know you on the ventliator?? Terrible. You see at least I have time to spend, my mom is somewhat awake and with it at times. Not all the time drugged out but can at least mumble. She knows Im there. Thank you and come around more.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:18 PM

ok back to the death blog

today was not too long or bad. Her stomach is soooo huge all the poisons from the liver going into that area. Its gonna be soon. Blood pressure is 85/45.

She asked for her last rights and priest came today.

Dad did not yell at me too much today. today was better .

Soon its over, lets get it over. Then I can deal with Dad.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:33 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Marilyn,

My prayers are that your mom will go peacefully in the night, without pain.
Further prayers that your Dad will be able to deal with it, and that You will understand that God loves all his children.

Diane G

Old 08-05-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Marilyn,

My prayers are that your mom will go peacefully in the night, without pain.
Further prayers that your Dad will be able to deal with it, and that You will understand that God loves all his children.

Diane G
well after visiting this nursing home and seeing a few people dying of all sorts of things and terrible and painful, I do have my doubts about GOD, however that is another issue.

When the liver is failing the stomach blows up and thats what is happening. Its getting very very huge. 3 times of size of Mom. Get it over with.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:41 PM

I AM LOSING my Mom and mind but not my sense of HUMOR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: