U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:02 AM

16 posts, read 55,093 times

Advertisements

I am concerned about the water quality around NYC. I am moving my family from Dallas and need a starter house with good schools, good commute to Times Square of nearly an hour and spend 300k. Edison area looks the best but they got a bad superfund, air and water score. So I am worried about that. I guess we could get bottled water, but what about restaurants and school. I can't make any sense out of the detailed water reports and I just don't know how worried to be about this. Can anyone give me general feedback on the area or specific ideas about how to manage this risk, or a comparable alternative with better water and air?

Thanks in advance. I need to come up with a salary demand in a day or so, so any quick input will help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 05:18 PM

5,667 posts, read 15,015,212 times
Well be sure to add me on your salary as a water hydration ecologist, lol.
I think Edison is typical as far as I know regarding water. Not sure but I'm quite certain they have piped in "city" water systems.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:18 PM

312 posts, read 1,097,972 times
Most homes in edison have public water supply. I believe middlesex water company provides water for most of these homes. Here is their web page:
Middlesex Water Company

It seems the water comes from their plants and is all treated and supposedly safe to drink. How they get that water i am not sure. I am in North Edison and currently use a reverse osmosis water filter for all our drinking water. Hopefully the water is safe. Seems to taste okay but I really have no idea how the water quality is.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:07 PM

129 posts, read 355,139 times
Most of Edison and Iselin are nice. I don't think you'll have any issues transferring to either one of these areas. Lots of Indian and Asian influence.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:08 PM

21 posts, read 81,478 times
Water in New Jersey is safe to drink no matter where you are. The issues with ground water pollution of the past are taken quite seriously by the utility companies. For the most part the water is heavily filtered/chlorinated and fluoridated, so it does have a heavy poolwater tase to it in some areas, but it is safe to drink. If the taste of it is too much, filter it at home and it is fine.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:15 PM

16 posts, read 55,093 times
Thanks for all the quick replies and the link. I'm glad to hear that this is something that has a utility focus. If I still don't feel comfortable with my further research, we can at least get bottled water at home.

My wife and I are white, but really love diversity, especially for our young daughter. We have a special love for living near the Indian influence, partly for the esthetics, but mostly because of the "village" mindset that has been waining in the US.

My wife's life-long chosen "sister" is from India, so she feels a family tie to the culture.

We put our daughter in a very diverse school in Texas and my wife teaches English as a second language. All our freinds are new or non-citizens and we really find that to be interesting and enlightening.

It sounds like, after a year of research, I have finally found a place where my family can settle. Phew!!

Old 08-02-2009, 01:19 PM

238 posts, read 697,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDG375 View Post
Water in New Jersey is safe to drink no matter where you are. The issues with ground water pollution of the past are taken quite seriously by the utility companies. For the most part the water is heavily filtered/chlorinated and fluoridated, so it does have a heavy poolwater tase to it in some areas, but it is safe to drink. If the taste of it is too much, filter it at home and it is fine.

It is chlorinated, but it is not fluoridated. That was the one point that led me to move to Woodbridge, which happen to be served by the same company as Edison, Middlesex Water Company.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:20 PM

21 posts, read 81,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonas View Post
It is chlorinated, but it is not fluoridated. That was the one point that led me to move to Woodbridge, which happen to be served by the same company as Edison, Middlesex Water Company.
Actually, you are right. Only a few communities, mostly in South Jersey have fluoridated water. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:24 PM

156 posts, read 349,854 times
I lived in Edison and raised 2 sons and never had a problem with the water and I lived there for ten years and I also lived in iselin for 8 years as my husband worked for ford motor company .Edison schools are good my son went from k to 12 and i really liked the schools and my other son who is ten years older than his brother went to Iselin school s and where not that bad then but not sure anymore. I did like Edison schools better .We now live in VA because you can get alot more for your money . But remember there are limited parking spaces at the train stations there both edison and Metuchen ,but the metro park in Iselin has parking decks

Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,710,469 times
Worry about the taxes, not the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey