U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 AM

7 posts, read 42,166 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
First of all thanks to everyone on these forums for making it so useful and informative. I would like to get your opinion on Bergenfield as a town for buying our first house. Our budget is ~ 400 k and we see a lot of houses in Bergenfield in this range. We have driven through the town and like the neighborhood. I realize that the property taxes are disproportionately high, but they are still about the same as some other comparable (?) towns (Dumont, Oradell etc.). On this forum, people have advised against Bergenfield. Why is that? Is it the school district? Taxes? Anything else? The commute to city, which my wife will do, looks easy with an express bus (45 mins to port authority?). We have an infant who will probably not go to school for a few years. In this case, should we make the school district an important criteria or should we look for best bang for our buck in bergenfield.
Any opinions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 08:20 AM

594 posts, read 1,080,236 times
Bergenfield is OK town. Schools are ok, but if you want one of the best schools in the nation, close to Bergenfield is River Edge or Oradell. The houses are slightly more affordable than River Edge and Oradell (both share same excellent schools). Paramus is also very good and affordable taxes. Buses to NYC takes around 30 min with EXPRESS via RT 4.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,738,522 times
The thing about Bergen County is that the property taxes are just high all over, whether in a "good" school district, or a not-so-hot one. So I say try to find the best town that you can afford because you'll be paying taxes whereever you are.

Yes, the reason people would advise against Bergenfield would be the school district. Even though your child is just an infant, you should definitely be thinking about schools now if you are buying. It's just good sense from an investment standpoint, and your baby will be in Kindergarten before you know it

I personally think if your budget is 400K you might be able to do a lot better.

There is busing all over Bergen County that goes to NYC, so don't limit yourself. One suggestion, just because I'm familiar with the town, would be Oakland. It's a lovely town, and there are express buses that get to the city in 40 minutes.

http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...8/PABT_sch.pdf

There are a nice selection of houses now around 400K

Oakland real estate & Oakland homes for sale | 3 Bedrooms - REALTOR.com®

Out of all of them, this looks like the best one to me in terms of location. Very nice street, and a great yard.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...436_1111220094

It has one of the top ten high schools in the county, as opposed to Bergenfield which unfortunately is ranked pretty close to the bottom. This is a really helpful list just for reference anyway.

A list of the top high schools in New Jersey by county-www.njmonthly.com

Just some ideas.

Last edited by luckyshoes; 08-03-2009 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 08:32 PM

11 posts, read 35,483 times
Default Bergenfield is a very nice town...

I know a lot of Asian kids who graduated from Bergenfield and became very successful. I heard from a lot of people that the reason the rating is low is because when they take tests, they always include the scores of "special students" who attend "special classes". When we bought our house in Bergenfield, the seller's daughter graduated from Bergenfield High and now she's a lawyer in DC after graduating from Georgetown. So I think most of the schools here in Bergen County are good and offer a lot of things. It depends on the students to take advantage of every opportunity. Just my honest opinion...

Old 08-13-2009, 11:08 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,985,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
The thing about Bergen County is that the property taxes are just high all over, whether in a "good" school district, or a not-so-hot one. So I say try to find the best town that you can afford because you'll be paying taxes whereever you are.

Yes, the reason people would advise against Bergenfield would be the school district. Even though your child is just an infant, you should definitely be thinking about schools now if you are buying. It's just good sense from an investment standpoint, and your baby will be in Kindergarten before you know it

I personally think if your budget is 400K you might be able to do a lot better.

There is busing all over Bergen County that goes to NYC, so don't limit yourself. One suggestion, just because I'm familiar with the town, would be Oakland. It's a lovely town, and there are express buses that get to the city in 40 minutes.

http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...8/PABT_sch.pdf

There are a nice selection of houses now around 400K

Oakland real estate & Oakland homes for sale | 3 Bedrooms - REALTOR.com®

Out of all of them, this looks like the best one to me in terms of location. Very nice street, and a great yard.

96 Pawnee Ave, Oakland, NJ, 07436 - MLS ID#3001458 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

It has one of the top ten high schools in the county, as opposed to Bergenfield which unfortunately is ranked pretty close to the bottom. This is a really helpful list just for reference anyway.

A list of the top high schools in New Jersey by county-www.njmonthly.com

Just some ideas.
LuckyShoes, if that house is indeed in decent shape and not in a flood zone (and if it's not a "Murder House", like there's any murders in Oakland LOL), it's a find! I check Realtor.com every few days for kicks. That's the best 400K range house I've seen in a higher end town in Bergen County in a while. That one managed to elude my searches! I'm still not quite ready to buy yet, but that would be a house I would check out!

As far as comparing Oakland and Bergenfield, yeah, they're different worlds. But Bergenfield isn't exactly low in the Bergen County hierarchy of towns. It's a middle-class, blue collar town that seems to have been knocked down a few steps down in recent years. The schools aren't great, but they're far from "bad".

Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,738,522 times
Oh no, that's not a flood zone as far as I know. It's on the hilly side of town, on the Campgaw Mountain side of 202. I thought it's a good one too! That yard is amazing.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,424 times
Luckyshoes: I moved to Bergenfield about 5 years ago... I love the town because of its diversity, great people, and the ease of getting from home to work in the city. My wife and I carpool and we take about 20 minutes to get to work. The schools may not be as good as some other towns in Bergen County but being an educator I've learned to take matters into my own hands with my children.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 11,292 times
Talking How is Bergenfield, NJ like?

Hello:

Bergenfield is to be one of the towns in NJ I'm thinking about moving to. But I've read some negative comments about it being not as nice as other places. What's your opinion about this town? Is it quiet? HOw about the shops?

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2010, 09:15 PM

7 posts, read 42,166 times
We have lived in Bergenfield for a year now. In terms of commute to the city (35 min. express bus to port authority midtown), convenience of having grocery stores, pharmacies and almost any other amenities you would need within walking distance, the town is excellent. I haven't heard of any major crime issues or experienced any noise issues and I live quite close to the busy S. Washington St. The town has a good mix of diverse people. The property taxes are high but I guess thats to be expected in bergen county.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:02 AM

978 posts, read 1,739,965 times
The property taxes in Bergenfield are insane even by Bergen County standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey