Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:22 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,047,832 times

Advertisements

Why is it that there are all these young eastern europeans working at seaside heights, wildwood, Dorney park, etc. One of them told me it's a student program but no Americans are going to their country as an exchange.

WHy are they giving all these teens jobs instead of employing locals who need the money? I find this very odd. I saw this last summer as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 08:30 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,554,144 times
I find it odd and disturbing as well, especially during a recession. Their understanding of American English (and slang) is usually not that great and they don't always catch on when someone is cursing or realize someone's being teased or when a fight's breaking out. They also tend to let dangerous behavior slide, like allowing older kids to shoot three pointers from one end of the pool to the other (into the kid section, which could permanently injure a small child).

Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,415,106 times
I love these silly questions. Why dont Americans kids take those jobs???? Hmm let me answer that for you in a not soo nice way.

90% of American kids are spoiled rotten and are too good to be caught working at an amusement park. Not to mention those that do are too busy twittering,texting or whatever else they can do beside doing their jobs. I am not that old (34) but let me tell you the days of an American Kid working at Gas station,Bussing Tables,Landscaping or any other type of entry level work are done for the most part. WE have raised a generation of A-holes who think they are too good for everything. Take a look at these kids, most of them have no jobs at all but yet they have Phones,computers,cars,video games,expensive clothing, and most of all no respect. Why because WE are all guilty of the generation of entitlment. Simple as that.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,496,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
I love these silly questions. Why dont Americans kids take those jobs???? Hmm let me answer that for you in a not soo nice way.

90% of American kids are spoiled rotten and are too good to be caught working at an amusement park. Not to mention those that do are too busy twittering,texting or whatever else they can do beside doing their jobs. I am not that old (34) but let me tell you the days of an American Kid working at Gas station,Bussing Tables,Landscaping or any other type of entry level work are done for the most part. WE have raised a generation of A-holes who think they are too good for everything. Take a look at these kids, most of them have no jobs at all but yet they have Phones,computers,cars,video games,expensive clothing, and most of all no respect. Why because WE are all guilty of the generation of entitlment. Simple as that.
couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:

That might be true, but I have actually pounded the pavement looking for a job and have been turned away over and over. It isn't just that alot of people won't work those jobs. It also has to do with the fact that many employers won't hire certain persons as well.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,791,647 times
Many of those kids work for very little money (min. wage, less if the employer is shady enough) and many of them are compensated with a room somewhere, in lieu of a chunk of pay.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:03 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,525,108 times
blame the russian mob, they could not prostitute them, traffic them in go go bars so they get slave labor.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:39 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
blame the russian mob, they could not prostitute them, traffic them in go go bars so they get slave labor.
Ha! Take a trip to Key West, there are Eastern European young adults working in every place. I thought we left the US!

The bartender at the hotel said they come with a student visa and never leave.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:44 AM

983 posts, read 2,775,131 times
Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:27 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,047,832 times
Quote:

I do think that many teens, or even adults who are having a difficult time making ends meet would take one of these summer jobs. i know most teens are spoiled around northern Jersey especially, but WIldwood and the surrounding area don't look very wealthy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey