Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 09:48 PM

4 posts, read 46,631 times

Advertisements

So I'm seeing a lot of trolling and needless back-and-forths about JC neighborhoods and I'm wondering what the honest low-down is on Hamilton Park for someone who will likely do a lot of walking. I'm moving into an apartment near Jones Park and Hamilton Park and while it looked fine during the day it's sort of hard to tell how these things may change at night. I'm living in Hoboken now (which is very safe of course, but with very little unique flavor) and just previous I lived in Greenville for about a month. I know Hamilton Park is a night and day comparison to Greenville, but having lived in a crummy JC area for even a short period really convinced me that, while I'm not spooked by a good 'ol urban setting, being able to feel comfortable when I go out for a walk at night (or getting home from Manhattan in the early AM hours) is a prime factor for me.

Also, and sort of getting at the same question: Is Hamilton Park going to be a drastic step down in terms of safety? I would surf for numbers and compare Hoboken to Hamilton Park, but I can't seem to find any numbers for specific neighborhoods in JC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:17 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,438 times
Jones park is already on the edge, it is not as nice but no way close to greenville "oh sht am i going to die today" level. If you want to live in hamilton park, move closer to the east, the area between newport mall and the actual hamilton park area, is the best/safest.

If safety is really a big concern, then move to newport on the otherside of the mall all the way down to exchange place PATH along the hudson waterfront. It's the best/safest area in jc, i would even say better than hoboken due to the modern layout, transportation and shopping options.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 PM

Safety is, of course, a big factor but I'm not entirely concerned about finding the safest possible arrangement. I guess what I'm most curious about is how comparable can I expect Hamilton Park to be to my current area. I live all the way south and most of the way west in Hoboken and, for my part, have worried very little about being mugged. I know Hamilton Park doesn't have the same level of overbearing homogenization (and that may or may not equate to more crime) but can you take a stroll at night without looking over your shoulder?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:14 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
How late at night do you need to walk around? I lived right near Hamilton Park for 5 years and just recently moved out. The biggest problem I had with the area is that it is basically deserted after 11pm. The worst time is the wee hours of the morning. I used to travel a lot for work and had to leave the house around 4:30am to get to the airport. One morning there was a guy trying to break into the SUV parked in front of my house. On another occasion there was a homeless guy sitting on the hood of the car behind mine sorting through garbage. In terms of crime in general, most of it seems to be concentrated south of 6th St. as you get closer to Newark Ave.

If I were you I would just stay in Hoboken - there's a lot more to do there. Most of the time I found myself walking to the light rail and heading to Hoboken to go out.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:58 AM

A combination of Hoboken malaise (I never spend any time in Hoboken socially and actively dislike the options for bars) and the incredible deals in JC compelled me to make the switch to HP. Won't be moving until September but it's more or less locked in at this point. I will be north of 6th St. so at least that's nice to hear.

I'm in my mid-20s so the early AM wandering is mostly going to be Newport-Pavonia PATH station to home after a night out, but Zeppelin Hall and a few of the local bars are also appealling and I'd venture a guess I'll be making that walk from time to time. Granted wandering around after drinking in the early hours isn't a great idea in any area, but should I be prepared to carry no more than $5 at a time?

Edit: I also don't own a car which seems to be a boon as I won't have to worry about break-ins.

Last edited by NineThree; 08-06-2009 at 08:15 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 08:20 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,659 times
I would look into NYC (queens too) and go for a smaller place to rent. If you must go to JC, then downtown is only option.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 AM

87 posts, read 351,786 times
I lived in Hamilton Park from Dec. 2005 to July 2006. Initially, I felt safer there than in other JC neighborhoods, but after my car was broken into on 10th and Jersey, I knew I wasn't cut out for JC life. In addition, living in the park pretty much means using the mall as access to the PATH, which I never felt great about late at night.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. The other consideration here is that the apartment I'm going to be taking is a beautiful place (far nicer than anything I could afford in any other Manhattan commuter town) and from most accounts it seems to me that Hamilton Park is, at the very least, within my acceptable limits of safety; it's dancing around the lower-limit, but it'll do.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 11,173 times
I live in Hamilton Park with my wife and two kids. Walk at night all the time and regularly get home late in the A.M. I grew up in West New York so maybe im just not easily spooked. Hoboken is incredibly lame. I find downtown to be great for the family and also for socializing. Plus they just renovated Hamilton Park.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:14 PM

115 posts, read 273,605 times
Moving to 7th and Coles in February. How is the area these days? I've walked around both day and night and seems pretty safe. Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey