Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Blue Law in Bergen County?
I like it, shopping centers/malls should be closed on Sundays. 53 36.05%
Well, It should be at least half day open. 10 6.80%
I don't like it, everything should be open all week as it is else where. 70 47.62%
I don't care 14 9.52%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
They are equal. They are quality of life issues. You keep saying they're not equal, but you fail to say how. You're just being stubborn for the sake of argument.
not getting murdered is a quality of life issue also. id still rather someone play the drums in my front lawn at 1am than have them shooting into my bedroom window. you are just pretending they are equal for the sake of your argument but im pretty sure deep down you know that stores being open during the day (like they are the other 6) isnt equal to people mowing their lawn at 3am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 05:14 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
not getting murdered is a quality of life issue also. id still rather someone play the drums in my front lawn at 1am than have them shooting into my bedroom window. you are just pretending they are equal for the sake of your argument but im pretty sure deep down you know that stores being open during the day (like they are the other 6) isnt equal to people mowing their lawn at 3am.
Murder or being shot at harms a person physically.

Nuisance from noise created by a neighbor's landscaper or excessive traffic near your home will not directly physically harm you; rather, it will affect your enjoyment of being able to have peace in your home.

So, murder and being shot at are different from people making noise or creating traffic congestion; you are just pretending they are equal for the sake of your argument but im pretty sure deep down you know that murder and being shot are direct, corporal offenses as opposed to indirect nuisances like lawn mowing at 3 AM or noise and congestion caused by the draw of shopping.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Murder or being shot at harms a person physically.

Nuisance from noise created by a neighbor's landscaper or excessive traffic near your home will not directly physically harm you; rather, it will affect your enjoyment of being able to have peace in your home.

So, murder and being shot at are different from people making noise or creating traffic congestion; you are just pretending they are equal for the sake of your argument but im pretty sure deep down you know that murder and being shot are direct, corporal offenses as opposed to indirect nuisances like lawn mowing at 3 AM or noise and congestion caused by the draw of shopping.
no, they are both quality of life issues. they are equal. the community doesnt want lawnmowers during the night, the community doesnt want to have its citizens murdered.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:13 PM

19 posts, read 48,245 times
Quote:
It looks like someone tried a semester or two of psychology. Who's projecting now?

Bergen, have I offended you in someway? It's comical how post after post you insist that I am angry when in actuality it appears you are the one getting all worked up. The internet really isn't a good catalyst for accurately reading someone's emotions. Since you don't know me I don't expect you to believe I am not angry but I can assure you that I am not. I do however use a liberal amount of sarcasm. I was hoping you'd be able to pick up on some of it. Like I said earlier, I like to joke around and keep the discussion light hearted. Despite your very thorough posts and heavy usage of adult words, I find your approach to this whole thing is becoming rather childish.

I'm going to try and simplify it so bear with me for a moment. Let's just say for the sake of this argument that the poll for the blue laws is 51% for and 49% against. Over the course of the next year or so a handful of out of state families move into the area. They decide that they want to be able to shop on Sundays. So during the next council meeting they vote accordingly. The polls have now shifted, 49% for and 51% against. Suddenly you are no longer the majority and are forced to accept that what you want, as right as you may feel it is, isn't necessarily what everyone else wants. Now your opinion didn't change, did it? Everything that you thought before hand is still relevant, correct? All of those that were against the blue laws, you know the ones you said were being irrational and unreasonable, their word is what matters now. Does that mean that you are now the irrational and unreasonable one since you want what the majority doesn't? Or are they still irrational and unreasonable because you don't agree with their stand on the subject?

My original intent when coming in here really was to discuss the thread topic. However somewhere along the way I got caught up in your vendetta to impose your will upon whomever's opinion you find illogical. What you perceive as me bouncing back and forth to cover myself is me demonstrating how I can see both sides of the argument. Strange concept I know. I got news for you. No one will ever be able to prove you wrong and it will not be because you will always be right.

Damnit, I thought I was staying out of this. Oh well I guess I'm just a gluten for punishment. I know I can count on you to deliver it to me, right Bergen? I can see a couple of different ways you could go with this so I am anxious to read your response.

And just so there is no confusion on my mood....

Old 08-14-2009, 01:38 PM

607 posts, read 958,232 times
Not to jump in on anyone's side here - I live 5 minutes from Willowbrook, so when I go on Sundays I see the Bergen County moms buying "crap for their whiny brats" (I think that was the phrasing used) -

but the analogy of lawn service at 3AM doesn't seem to match the shopping on Sundays issue, if only because the overall impact is one neighborhood (or less) versus entire stretches of highway.

A better analogy might be a town prohibiting a particular store from opening for business; say, for example, a late-nite XXX theater or similar adult-themed store or business. Those that frequent establishments like these have the same rights as those that might wish to have no traffic on Sundays, and often town ordinances that prohibit such places have a 'morality' basis in the same vein as those that created blue laws.

One person wants businesses to have the right to choose; one ie vehemently opposed to it. It has been brought up a number of times by the voters, and the laws have remained on the books. Right, wrong or indifferent, blue laws are the status quo in Paramus.

I don't agree with the idea, though, that these ordinances can effect other towns; blue laws are generally older and more a product of a bygone era. If towns are looking to enact similar restrictions now, they would need to be a groundswell of support for it, as well as mitigating circumstances that are far beyond 'Sunday is church day'.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:56 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
How about "Sunday is Football day!"

Old 08-14-2009, 02:01 PM

607 posts, read 958,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
How about "Sunday is Football day!"

But so is Sunday night

and Monday night

and some Thursday nights...

and HS on Fridays

and college on Saturday afternoons and nights

and so on...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,851 times
Default blue law

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
What do you think of the blue law that Bergen County has? All malls/shopping centers are closed on Sunday.

A blue law is a type of law, typically found in the U.S. designed to enforce religious standards, particularly the observance of Sunday as a day of worship or rest, and a restriction on Sunday shopping.
I like it and wished it was everywhere in nj I as a child had a family life because of this law Played ball with Aunts and uncles and a good family meal I really believe that there is no reason for being open on a Sunday And if you who is reading this is in a union you are a different story , this pretains to salary and hourly people only. when you work a Sunday anywhere else you get paid a regual day salary and get a day off during your 40 hour week. I think all children need at lease a day with parents and maybe these things can change how children have respect for elders as well as parents parenting the way it should be. I really wish the government would say never mind to the vote of years ago people need to be home on Sundays and maybe you will see a big diffentence in the children of years to come.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
what is the pont in arguing about it. the law isn't going anywhere. If you own a store and are upset about it, that is 1 thing. If you are a shopper, just go somewhere else or wait until Monday or Saturday. I don't hear any bergen county store owners complaining about it though.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:46 AM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
what is the pont in arguing about it. the law isn't going anywhere. If you own a store and are upset about it, that is 1 thing. If you are a shopper, just go somewhere else or wait until Monday or Saturday. I don't hear any bergen county store owners complaining about it though.
You realize they put that law down for no shopping on Sunday in Bergen County to keep traffic off the roads. All those malls in Paramus along Rt 17 and 4 really fill those highways with some of the worst traffic. They decided it would be nice to have a day where there isn't any traffic on the roads. And driving anywhere in Bergen County for me has been a nightmare, I have had what you call an "internal compass" elsewhere but in BC I get lost everywhere I go. Never forget the time 3 years ago I was SB on 17 at 3:40pm-ish and my fan belt snapped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey