Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Blue Law in Bergen County?
I like it, shopping centers/malls should be closed on Sundays. 53 36.05%
Well, It should be at least half day open. 10 6.80%
I don't like it, everything should be open all week as it is else where. 70 47.62%
I don't care 14 9.52%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:09 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Say you managed what? You mean say you're a manager of a retail store?

And where does the state say you should go to Church on Sunday? I said you should go to Church on Sunday, not the state.
And your strong bias is revealed.

People should not have their activities dictated to them by you or anyone else, and simply "going on Saturday" is not an option for those who work on Saturdays. Of course your simple reply will be "Suck it up", but I think the residents of Bergen County should suck it up when complaining about some extra traffic on any given day in an overpopulated area of an overpopulated state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 11:45 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusIS250 View Post
Church is for the weak, but that's another story.

Think for yourself
If I were weak, I'd identify so strongly with my car that my screen name would be "LexusRX350". But that's another story.

Think for yourself.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
OK, why should I go to Church on Sunday?
You shouldn't, necessarily. That was my response to LexusIS250 just to needle her about her irrational disdain for religion. You just happened to chime in for whatever reason, I don't know.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
And your strong bias is revealed.

People should not have their activities dictated to them by you or anyone else, and simply "going on Saturday" is not an option for those who work on Saturdays. Of course your simple reply will be "Suck it up", but I think the residents of Bergen County should suck it up when complaining about some extra traffic on any given day in an overpopulated area of an overpopulated state.
My strong bias was revealed, by me, explicitly, many times throughout this thread. Thanks for pointing it out, O Master of the Obvious.

People should have limitations of their activities dictated by the lawfully legislated and enforced will of the people.

If the people of Bergen County want to have stores closed on Sunday, it is our right to legislate and enforce that.

Why is this so offensive and startling to people? You already live in a place where you are told that there are limits as to what you can build on your own property, how much noise you can make and when, how fast you can drive, where you can and can't walk, etc. Everything has a reason and a rationale behind it. Not everyone will like or agree with every regulation or law, but we all choose to live in a place where this is the deal.

So, this is the deal. Just deal with it. There's nothing unfair or illegal about it. It's our county, we can do what we want. You have to suck it up.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times
BCJ, I think there are other examples of limits that should be brought up in reference.

Things that are rather simple. Hoboken has 2 that come to mind rather quickly.

1. No outside (street) dining/seating areas after 10pm. Why? You can still have it "out back". If someone wants to sit on a piece of property that is actually owned and cared for by a private owner, why should the city have any say in that?

2. Closing time for (at least) bars = 2am. Again, why? Why do we force the bars to close at 2? Why can't people drink all night like they can in some areas of NYC? Why does our town limit that?

Simple, really. The people want it that way. Less noise and less disruption. It also makes it so that the city empties at about 2:30/3:00 and they can get the cleaners and stuff through pretty easily.

It makes the town run smoother and with less difficulties.

Blue laws may have been fostered on the back of religion, but they do not seem to be as closely tied anymore. People have gotten used to it and the majority still prefer the minor inconvenience to the major disruption.

BTW, placs like grocery stores and restaurants are still open on Sundays. So it is not a 100% lockdown....

Old 09-21-2009, 07:19 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
Quote:
My strong bias was revealed, by me, explicitly, many times throughout this thread. Thanks for pointing it out, O Master of the Obvious.

People should have limitations of their activities dictated by the lawfully legislated and enforced will of the people.

If the people of Bergen County want to have stores closed on Sunday, it is our right to legislate and enforce that.

Why is this so offensive and startling to people? You already live in a place where you are told that there are limits as to what you can build on your own property, how much noise you can make and when, how fast you can drive, where you can and can't walk, etc. Everything has a reason and a rationale behind it. Not everyone will like or agree with every regulation or law, but we all choose to live in a place where this is the deal.

So, this is the deal. Just deal with it. There's nothing unfair or illegal about it. It's our county, we can do what we want. You have to suck it up.

It's not "offensive"" or "startling", considering it's essentially par for the course in the Garden State, but that doesn't make it any less nauseating.

I disagree with the authority Bergen County is allowed in this matter. NJ is the state of government regulation to the extreme - Perhaps it's time for Trenton to remind Bergen it's just a county.

As for the residents having rights: The rights of those who have to work on Saturdays to support themselves/their families and can't really even shop in their own county outweighs a band of morons who live in one of the most overpopulated areas of the most densely populated state in the country and then complain about extra traffic.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:17 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
see, i'd look at this as "I'm thankful I have a job where I can afford furniture", but some people only see the negative.
Really. There is no law against holding garage sales in Bergen County on Sunday. That's where I always thought you buy furniture.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
It's not "offensive"" or "startling", considering it's essentially par for the course in the Garden State, but that doesn't make it any less nauseating.

I disagree with the authority Bergen County is allowed in this matter. NJ is the state of government regulation to the extreme - Perhaps it's time for Trenton to remind Bergen it's just a county.

As for the residents having rights: The rights of those who have to work on Saturdays to support themselves/their families and can't really even shop in their own county outweighs a band of morons who live in one of the most overpopulated areas of the most densely populated state in the country and then complain about extra traffic.
LOL, a whinefest extraordinaire!!!

Can you tell me which county or town doesn't have a right to enforce its own ordinances??? Of course you can't, you have no clue what you're talking about. Trenton CAN'T tell Bergen or any town that they can't enact their own laws and ordinances, UNLESS they contradict a state law.

So, yes, the residents of Bergen County have rights the same as the residents of any other county. If you don't like it, don't live or shop in Bergen County.

Seems the real morons are the ones who insist that a community can't enact and enforce ordinances according to the will of the residents just because it prevents them from shopping on Sunday because they're too stupid to figure out that there are shopping alternatives that ARE open on Sunday no more than 10 minutes outside of Bergen County in any direction.

And nobody "has" to work every day but Sunday; last I checked, people are free to choose jobs they want. If being able to buy a throw pillow from Bed, Bath N Beyond or an Xbox at Best Buy IN PARAMUS is SO important to someone's life then that should be factored into a decision about taking a job that forces the person to work 12 hours a day for 6 days a week. But I have a strong suspicion there are almost no people who put in those kinds of hours and at the same time feel that Paramus is the ONLY place to get certain deals. That's just a stupid, weak argument given when a person has no rational argument to make.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
They obviously aren't equal.

If you kill someone who is trying to start their lawn mower at 3am you are going to jail. If you kill someone who is trying to kill you you have a fair chance of not going to jail (though this is NJ...)
im pretty sure i was being sarcastic based on BCJ's posts.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:23 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
Quote:
And nobody "has" to work every day but Sunday; last I checked, people are free to choose jobs they want. If being able to buy a throw pillow from Bed, Bath N Beyond or an Xbox at Best Buy IN PARAMUS is SO important to someone's life then that should be factored into a decision about taking a job that forces the person to work 12 hours a day for 6 days a week.
Funny.

I liked the other one too, about how important it is to buy cucumber melon body wash from Bath & Body Works, ALL days of the week, in Bergen County. Really, our civilization is riding on this liberty.

You can still buy all the necessities of life on Sunday in Bergen County. Food, gas, pharmacies, eating out. And heck, if you're really stuck, you could go rustle up some bubble bath at the supermarket I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey