Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:38 PM

11 posts, read 34,673 times

Advertisements

We are about to move to Jersey from Oklahoma. My husband will be working in SOHO, so we want to make it an easy commute for him, but don't want the hassle or cost of living in Manhattan - I also want to keep my car! We have two little babies and are trying to figure out the best option for us. We've heard a lot of good and a lot of bad things about Jersey City...we are torn on where to move. Hoboken is too expensive and almost as much of a pain as living in Brooklyn. Jersey City seems like a good fit, but I've heard it's shady as hell in some parts....well, most parts. We are looking at some new townhomes on Pacific Ave. - West of Lafayette close to Liberty State Park. I viewed them on Google Maps and the street views look great, although it looked a bit shady once I went further up Bramhall Ave. Here's the link if you want to check out the specific area: 148 Bramhall Avenue Jersey City, NJ 07304 - Google Maps
Is this part of town too shifty for a family with small children? If so, what can you recommend that will give us a 3 bed 2 bath home under $2000 monthly? I have been using Craig's List and Rent.com.
Any advice on Bayonne? How far would that commute be? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Just realized that link isn't working .. I must have pasted it wrong.
If you go to Google Maps, here is the address of the townhomes we are looking at:

148 Bramhall Avenue Jersey City, NJ 07304

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:19 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilhoffer View Post
Just realized that link isn't working .. I must have pasted it wrong.
If you go to Google Maps, here is the address of the townhomes we are looking at:

148 Bramhall Avenue Jersey City, NJ 07304

Thanks!
That is not a good area at all. Trust me, you don't want to live there. I have heard of someone's car being "shot up" on nearby Halladay St.
I have driven down Pacific Ave. and many of the homes have bars on the windows. I lived in Jersey City for 5 years so I am speaking from experience. You are not going to find a 3BR/2BA apartment in any good area of JC for under 2k. More like 2500+

Last edited by ansky; 08-06-2009 at 06:36 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 PM

Thank you very much for the fast and honest response!!
So, I upped the price of rent on Craig's List and found a few that might be better.
Does anyone know anything about Webster Ave right off Washington Park? Am I getting any safer there?

What about Hudson Ave between Weehawken and Union City?

Can you give me any tips on other places to look than Craig's List and Rent.com? I'm kind of flying blind here and appreciate any advice I can get!!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilhoffer View Post
Thank you very much for the fast and honest response!!
So, I upped the price of rent on Craig's List and found a few that might be better.
Does anyone know anything about Webster Ave right off Washington Park? Am I getting any safer there?

What about Hudson Ave between Weehawken and Union City?

Can you give me any tips on other places to look than Craig's List and Rent.com? I'm kind of flying blind here and appreciate any advice I can get!!
Have you considered buying a place ? If you're looking at spending over 2k a month on rent, you might be better off buying.

if you're considering Jersey City, you need to familiarize yourself with the different neighborhoods. Webster is in Jersey City heights. It's a relatively safe blue collar neighborhood.

For now, the main thing you need to know is that downtown, zip 07302 (east of route 78 and north of liberty state park) is the nicest area but out of your budget. The most family oriented of the less upscale area is the heights (north of Journal Square)

Bayonne is a safe if not terribly interesting neighborhood. the commute will be tougher than from JC, you take a bus or light rail to the PATH train. You could afford to buy in Bayonne.

Commute to SOHO is tough, because you need a subway transfer once you're in Manhattan.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
How about Port Liberte which is right next to Jersey City. I have friends there, and it seems pretty nice and quiet. (They can see the Statue of Liberty from their balcony.)

Old 08-07-2009, 07:16 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,941 times
With two kids (and I assume you aren't going to be working right now?) why don't you widen your search area and let your husband deal with a little more a commute? Especially with your budget, which is low for NJ.

I assume you are going to want to use public schools at some point, of which they are very good in many parts of NJ, and it sounds like you want a house of some sort. Are you open to living in more of a suburban environment? You'll do a lot better if you open up your radius a bit. Unless you are dead set on living in an urban area.

Also, I would most definitely rent for a year, especially if you are looking at JC. Or really anywhere. You don't know how you will like it til you are there and it is going to be quite different from Oklahoma in any case.

You could try the inner suburbs. Then your husband could probably walk to a NJ Transit bus that would take him to Port Authority, and then a subway down to Soho. One town that is cute is Ridgefield Park and there would definitely be houses in your price range for rentals. The schools are decent too.

Realtor.com has rentals too, here is a search for Ridgefield Park but you can type in lots of towns:

Ridgefield Park, NJ, Real Estate Listings and Ridgefield Park Rentals for Rent - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Ridgefield-Park_NJ/beds-3/type-rentals?sby=1 - broken link)

Good luck with the move!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,356 times
Do not do it! Especially do not BUY in a place you no nothing about.. Especially JC. JC in general is unsafe and a dump. Only exception might be downtown. Everything else stay far away. There are tons of nicer places besides Jersey City.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:38 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Do not do it! Especially do not BUY in a place you no nothing about.. Especially JC. JC in general is unsafe and a dump. Only exception might be downtown. Everything else stay far away. There are tons of nicer places besides Jersey City.
i think you need to walk around these places in person and get a feel for the neighborhoods. you are looking at dangerous territory and one wrong move and you are shanked, someones running off with your kid and your wife is getting raped.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:43 AM

Thank you all so much for the direction on making our move. When you are relocating from so far away, it is forums like this that really help!

I will continue my search based on your feedback and post more questions as needed.

Again, thank you ALL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey