Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,103 times

Advertisements

Hi,
So my husband and I are fresh out of college and he just got a job in Little Ferry, NJ making 65K. We have a 18 month old and another little one coming in September. We are moving in June to NJ and are in desperate need of help finding a place. We'd like to buy when possible, but want to rent for 6 months or so to get to know the area for ourselves better. Oh and it may be important to note that I plan to stay home with our kids, so we'll have no additional income.

We are both born and raised West Coasters and have NEVER been to the East Coast, so needless to say this move will be a major culture shock for us both! So any advice on the area is very welcome.

What we need:
-With 2 Kids, 2 Bedrooms is a must
-SAFETY (obviously)
-quiet, family oriented area
-We realize the area is packed so to get the right place we are willing to commute up to an hour. (if possible)
-good school districts (a plus right now, since we have a few years before our kids would start)
-a yard or safe near by park (a plus)

Also, random question, how hard is having a dishwasher and/or washer and dryer in the unit to come by?

Thanks so much!

PS: If my expectations are impossible, please just say so too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 02:56 PM

8 posts, read 80,520 times
Welcome to east coast. Secause would be a good area but the housing may be little expensive. Check also Rutherford. I am not aware if the school district is good in the above areas. If you are willing to travel then you can go to Edison-It has a good school district + safe area

Old 04-24-2007, 04:31 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
I'd say your dreams of buying a home in the near future are going to get squashed unless you've got a substantial amount of $$ for a downpayment.

The old rule of thumb was your mortgage could be around 3x your annual income, so at $65k you'd be looking at around a $195k mortgage. You're not going to find anything decent in the Little Ferry area for anything close to that- "maybe" a condo for $300k, or a real beater of a single-family house in that same range.

The rule of thumb that the mortgage companies were using lately (which got som many people into financial trouble, and has had the reins pulled back) was 4x your income, or around $260k. If you had $50 to put down, that might work, but you've also got to consider whether you want to have a $2,000+ mortgage/tax payment every month- especially with two young'uns (trust me- I know what those cost....lol).

Bob

Old 04-24-2007, 05:43 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,762 times
We were living in Saddle Brook, which is about 15 minutes from Little Ferry, I use to work in Hackensack - right next to Little Ferry.

I love Saddle Brook, small friendly family town, good school, great big park - next to all the highways and shopping.

Good luck in your search

Old 04-24-2007, 05:58 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times
I would say Saddle Brook is way to expensive for them. Little Ferry is actually perfect for that salary. Its a quick commute to NYC too. Lots of Car Dealerships around there.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:23 PM

543 posts, read 1,455,700 times
Try Ridgefield Park also....

Old 04-24-2007, 09:21 PM

91 posts, read 363,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast2007 View Post
Hi,
So my husband and I are fresh out of college and he just got a job in Little Ferry, NJ making 65K. We have a 18 month old and another little one coming in September. We are moving in June to NJ and are in desperate need of help finding a place. We'd like to buy when possible, but want to rent for 6 months or so to get to know the area for ourselves better. Oh and it may be important to note that I plan to stay home with our kids, so we'll have no additional income.

We are both born and raised West Coasters and have NEVER been to the East Coast, so needless to say this move will be a major culture shock for us both! So any advice on the area is very welcome.

What we need:
-With 2 Kids, 2 Bedrooms is a must
-SAFETY (obviously)
-quiet, family oriented area
-We realize the area is packed so to get the right place we are willing to commute up to an hour. (if possible)
-good school districts (a plus right now, since we have a few years before our kids would start)
-a yard or safe near by park (a plus)

Also, random question, how hard is having a dishwasher and/or washer and dryer in the unit to come by?

Thanks so much!

PS: If my expectations are impossible, please just say so too
I grew up in Bergen County...Demarest, NJ...close to Haworth (where Brooke Shields also grew up)...Norwood...excellent schools...expensive area, from what I hear now from friends who stayed there. But, I visit there periodically, and it's like time stands still. Still sleepy little suburbs...with not much in the way of crime...really at all.

But, friendly? I was raised there so I didn't 'know better.' But, after moving away, and revisiting...wow, I find the people now in NJ to be rude. Was I like that, I think to myself?

Good luck to you.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:50 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,762 times
Saddle Brook isn't that expensive - you may be thinking about Saddle River.

Saddle River is expensive -

When looking for a house we also looked in Little Ferry - but parts flood there and the house prices were about the same, plus they didn't have their own High School.

Saddle Brook also has some 2 families if you wanted to rent for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey