Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,184 times

Advertisements

I am from the Netherlands and in 2007 we went on a vacation in the USA (our second time). We made a trip with a rental car from NY to Chicago and then go around some places.

The first night we landed in Newark and we had to go to our hotel somewhere in the area of Newark.

My plan was to take a cab to our hotel and then pick-up our car the next day. But my friend said we can pick-up our car now and then drive to the hotel. It was midnight by then. I didnt like that at all.

Ofcourse we couldnt find our hotel and we drove around for about 4 hours !! In the middle of the night in the area of Newark. My stupid friend drove over a big hole in the road our bumper fell of the car we stopped to put it back on and all of this in the area of Newark : i never feld so unsafe in my life. Thank god nothing happened but at one point we drove somewhere very scary looking and the traffic light was on red at this point i was driving and i did not stop for the red light because the place really looked very dangerous. My friend said what are you doing? You had to stop for the red light but my instinct said not to stop.

I just want to know from you people: Was this a dangerous thing we did? What could have happened to us?

I love America but some places really dont look very safe.

Greetings from Holland

ps: sorry for my bad englisch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:40 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
Well, you have your answer. You're fine.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:33 AM

284 posts, read 542,679 times
When someone lands at Newark airport the hotel they will stay at is on the airport grounds. You probably knew that. So why did you leave the airport?

I find it hard to believe that you misspelled the word english (englisch)
You spelled many other more difficult words correctly; so I find it suspicious that you conviently spelled english (englisch) wrong.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:44 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
I'm going to call BIG FAT TROLL on this one....

Old 08-08-2009, 04:06 PM

284 posts, read 542,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
That is exactly what I was trying to point out with my earlier post. But since I'm kinda new here I thought it would be wise for me to say it in a different way. In other words, I completely agree with you UKOK.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:34 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
That is exactly what I was trying to point out with my earlier post. But since I'm kinda new here I thought it would be wise for me to say it in a different way. In other words, I completely agree with you UKOK.
LOL - Welcome Newark Magic. And we are kinda blunt around here!

Old 08-08-2009, 10:11 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Well 99.99 % of the time nothing happens, obviously. I know somewhat how you felt, I drove around outside the Olympics in Atlanta years ago. Some of those neighborhoods give ya the same feeling of wonder.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:15 AM

3 posts, read 6,184 times
When you go the us you have to book a hotel otherwise you can get into the country. Our hotel was a few miles away from the airport thats why my friend wanted to drive to the hotel (the car rental was just a few steps from the airport).

I really didnt know that Newark was such a dangerous place...when i got back home i searched on the internet about Newark and found this website. I was really shocked about the crimerates. I really didnt know this at all. Later that year (i think) we heard the news about the three students that got murdered.
We also stayed in the knights-inn in Elisabeth. The worst hotel/motel i ever stayed in. Also not a very nice place to walk around. But nothing happened anyway so we where very lucky i think (the last night i heard gunshots)

Oh about englisch/english...that was really a stupid mistake (i meant by bad english the way you express things in words not how words are typed).

And ukok and newark magic: i really felt very welcome the way you gave a answer ! thanks !

Old 08-09-2009, 04:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,329 times
Default security is the best

america is the savest place on the planet earth

Old 08-09-2009, 07:42 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
It's starting to get old, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey