Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:58 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times

Advertisements

I'd say they're comfortable if you're drunk and crashing at a friend's house for the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
We bought some cots for a similar situation on a camping website called cabellas. We researched and found some extremely comfortable ones for about 40 dollars each. My spouse is 6'3 and 200 lbs and even he found these to be comfortable. The bonus is they store well and you can use them for camping, sleepovers and temporary guests. I don't know how they'd work for older people in terms of getting on them as they sit lower to the ground then a regular bed would. But I'd say they are so much more functional and comfortbale than an air mattress.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:04 PM

68 posts, read 285,713 times
We have 2: one Coleman, one Aerobed. Coleman is better quality. They're good only for a short stay and only for when my younger brother visits or for the occasional friend crashing after a party. We always let our parents sleep on our bed when visiting.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:53 AM

983 posts, read 2,772,988 times
Yes, they are comfortable but I have a couple tips that really makes a difference.

Buy 2 twin air beds instead of one large airbed. With 2 twins that you place side by side, each person can adjust the firmness of their own bed. Also, when one person moves, it does not affect the other person whereas with the large airbed, when one person moves the whole bed moves and can wake up the other person. Also, the smaller beds generally have less of a "squishy" feeling to them because they are more compact.

I also have found that twins hold up longer than doubles or queens, probably because there's less weight on them.

Another tip: get Coleman brand with the velvet top...more durable and the velvet top helps the sheets stay on and also prevents sweating.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
Coleman brand - elevated queen size - I have this one and it sucks! Loses air every night. End up waking up on the floor. Trashed it and bought a cheap $5 twin one. Works great. I dont sleep in it, but guests do and dont have any complaints.

Correct- Cant return any airbeds once opened. Walmart began doing this because people would use the airbed for one night and return it once guests left.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:31 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Here's a thought. Take the mattress out of the sleeper sofa and put it on top of the air bed. It will give them a more comfortable height and even if the air mattress leaks, the regular mattress will still have even distribution of weight.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 PM

250 posts, read 562,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
When we have guests, we usually give them our room and we sleep on the pullout in the basement.

So maybe you could sleep on the air mattress and give them your room. I wouldn't make them sleep on an air mattress at their age.

Enjoy their visit
Way to go! The best hospitality you can ever give your folks is to give them your bedroom and crash the sofa/pullout. After all their are your aging folks. Airbed shouldn't be your option unless you are indirectly warning them not return again then yeah you pick one at walmart!!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
I just slept on one for 3 nights at my brothers house, they suck.
My back was killing me, at your parents ages and for four weeks I would say no they will not be comfortable

Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Oh wait, I just read your post again.

Four weeks? I don't think anyone can sleep on an air mattress for four weeks unless they are 5 years old.

I think I would just buy a bed, maybe a full size? You'll have room for it even if you move.
I have to disagree. I've slept on one for almost two years - most comfortable bed I've ever slept on, and I'm over 50.
I got one of the high ones from Walmart, added a memory foam topper and it is heavenly. The trick is to keep it blown up to firm (if that is what you like).
Also, the one's from Walmart are rounded at the edges, so, standard fitted bed sheets don't fit unless you go up a size.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
airbeds are a great way to have a cheap extra bed around. i have one that i got from walmart and it was like 50 bucks. ive taken it for when i made weekend trips to friends and we have used it for guests in my apartment. i think a geezer could have a decent nights sleep on one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey