U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 11:21 AM

97 posts, read 295,789 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys -
My wife and I are first time homebuyers and we are searching for a house with the following stats
a) Not more than 425K
b) Good neighborhood
c) Sub 9k taxes

As I'm willing to deal with an awful commute, I want my wife to have the shortest commute possible (1 hour max). She will be driving to the Bronx.

Can you kindly reccomend any neighboorhoods that fit this criteria? Thanks in advance!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,114,374 times
You will want to be in Bergen County. Maybe there will be some townhouses in Englewood Cliffs or Fort Lee? Teaneck? Leonia?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:30 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,747,319 times
Fort Lee. Her drive will be as short as possible from NJ and she could possibly drop you off after she gets off the bridge on the ny side so you can catch the subway to your job.

The only thing is the sub-9k taxes. You could definitely do that if you are looking for a nice condo but I don't know if you actually want a house.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:35 PM

220 posts, read 594,130 times
Do both of you have to travel AT rush hour? My husband has worked in BOTh the Bronx, Brooklyn and Mid-town off & on for YEARS but has had the luxury of being able to travel at optimum times. He makes into the Bronx in about an hour (as well as Mid-town) when not traveling at peak hours & that price range is definitely do-able out in my neck of the woods. Just wondering.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:58 PM

2,771 posts, read 5,940,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
Hi Guys -
My wife and I are first time homebuyers and we are searching for a house with the following stats
a) Not more than 425K
b) Good neighborhood
c) Sub 9k taxes

As I'm willing to deal with an awful commute, I want my wife to have the shortest commute possible (1 hour max). She will be driving to the Bronx.

Can you kindly reccomend any neighboorhoods that fit this criteria? Thanks in advance!!!
Have you considered Westchester ? Commute would be much easier. You could take the metro north, she could drive or take the train. Bridges and tunnels are a huge traffic bottleneck

Old 08-10-2009, 04:46 PM

53 posts, read 248,882 times
I drive in NYC a great deal and there is no good time to drive from NJ to the Bronx, it can really be a bear getting in from NJ even at off hours but peak the commute for her will be difficult regardless.

I agree with other posters saying that Westchester may be a better option, she still deals with traffic but has options as opposed to being corralled at the GWB and you can get to Manhattan pretty easy from there as well.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 PM

2,865 posts, read 8,927,361 times
I agree with Westchester County. It just makes more sense. Bridges and Tunnels can get backed up with traffic. I have taken Metro North in to NYC when I was newly married, and lived in North Yonkers. Its an easy commute, and the Bronx is close by,

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey