Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,321 times

Advertisements

I am currently deployed to Iraq and I bought a brand new BWM through a US Military Sales overseas. Since I bought this vehicle overseas it is supposted to be sales tax exempt. I am staioned at Mcguire Air Force base in New Jersey and am trying to register it in Jersey but the DMV is trying to charge me a 7% sales tax on the vehicle before I am able to get it registered. According to the dealer where my car is being delivered, there is a form that can be used so that I will be exempt from paying this tax. Does anyone know how to get a hold of this form or had a similar problem. Any help would be great. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 10:10 AM

55 posts, read 355,901 times
not sure if the rules are different for a military purchase, but when I have bought a vehicle from an out of state dealer I did have to pay the NJ sales tax before I could register it.

sorry about that.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM

30 posts, read 70,322 times
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=new+jersey+dmv+...+tax+exemption

You are a resident service member, stationed out-of-state and buy a car outside New Jersey, but wish to title the vehicle in New Jersey. You may defer payment of tax until the vehicle is brought to the state upon release from active military duty. You must present a Letter of Deferment (issued by Division of Taxation) at time of titling. If Letter of Deferment is not received, sales tax must be paid

It would appear that you cannot...

Old 04-30-2014, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,414 times
Default You've been Mis-informed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz808 View Post
I am currently deployed to Iraq and I bought a brand new BWM through a US Military Sales overseas. Since I bought this vehicle overseas it is supposted to be sales tax exempt. I am staioned at Mcguire Air Force base in New Jersey and am trying to register it in Jersey but the DMV is trying to charge me a 7% sales tax on the vehicle before I am able to get it registered. According to the dealer where my car is being delivered, there is a form that can be used so that I will be exempt from paying this tax. Does anyone know how to get a hold of this form or had a similar problem. Any help would be great. Thank You
You are tax DEFERRED on the purchase of a car from an OUT OF STATE dealer. To be tax deferred your military home of domicile must be NJ (you claim to be a resident of NJ as your permanent home of record). You CANNOT be stationed or currently living in NJ. The car must be titled and registered in NJ (using your permanent home of record (such as Mom and Dad's house or a home you own or rent, etc). The minute you are stationed in NJ or if you leave active duty military and return to NJ to live (with the car) you then pay sales tax based on the value of the car at the time you return to NJ with the car. That is why it is called a tax deferment and NOT tax exempt. If you never return to NJ with the car because you sold it along the way before returning to NJ then you would never pay sales tax on the car. Your situation, described by you above, would clearly NOT qualify you for the NJ tax deferment because you are stationed in and living in NJ with the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey