Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times

Advertisements

I drive in NY (specifically NYC ALOT) so I would never do as Mike suggested.

My "friend" got a speeding ticket of close to 100mph comming off the Verrazanno onto the BQE. Trooper was PISSED and towed the car (so i heard). Anyways, my friend paid the ticket, got the car out of impound and received 2 points on his license in NJ. Nothing happened until said friend changed INS companies and it turned up on his abstract. He did have to pay more but by then, 2.5 years had passed so the increase was only for the first year. Most INS companies care most about the last 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I have a confession I will now make.

In summer of 1996, I was driving down I-81 from Alexandria Bay NY. I was driving through Syracuse, where the speed limit dropped from 65 to 55 mph. Just before the end of the town limits, I was flagged for going 74 in a 55 mph. If I really wanted to argue this down, I could have claimed it was a 65 mph speed zone, and who knows what might have happened. The problem was, it was Syracuse. Such a drive would be impractical. However, this was to be a 4 point ticket on my license. Back in 1991, I had a similar violation in Maryland. It transferred to my NJ license, and ruined me for 42 months. My insurance skyrocketed.

Guess what I did? I never paid the ticket. I received 3 letters in the mail from the state of NY threatening to revoke my privileges in New York state. I ignored all of them. I was finally mailed a last letter saying my privileges were revoked.

Since I never pled guilty to the offense, the points never transferred to my NJ license. The swap was that I couldn't drive in NY any longer. After I moved to Southern NJ, my trips to NY state became much less frequent.

The moral: I was never arrested by NY state police, nor were my NJ insurance premiums increased.

You want to know something else? About 5 years later, my mom was issued a speeding ticket in NY, while driving upstate to visit family. She took my advice and never paid her ticket either. Same procedure (repeated threats mailed, no action taken) same results. In 2004, same thing happened with my wife. Guess what she did? Same procedure, same results!
We are coming to get you, your wife and mom Mike. LOL

Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Hmmm hubbie got a nice speeding ticket in Nevada a few years ago...going 98MPH
he just paid the ticket and it's never showed up here in NJ or on the insurance.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:29 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Used to be, in the "old" days that most out of state tickies never showed up on your NJ license. I had some NY ticks that I never took care of when I was a bit much younger. I drove through one of those gated communities where you have to drive through a police booth to get into town once in NY. I got stopped for just driving in and when they checked my license I wasn't supposed to drive in NY, similar deal. Back at the PD station they realized that since I never had a NY license, the only thing they could do was hand me a $10 ticket and off I went.

These days, I guess you could just tell them that you weren't moving at all, you where sitting in your car in one spot, while the earth was spinning underneath you. Either that or flashing the "good-ole-boy" badge works.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,300 times
My husband got clocked at 88 (which the cop later wrote 86 on the ticket) in a 55 on long island. We live in Jersey, but he already has 8 points on his license (much better than the 12 a few years and 5 suspensions ago..when he was single and childless). However, the cop, being the gentleman that he was, issued him ANOTHER ticket for not using his turn signal to pull over...on top of threatening to throw him in jail for speeding with me and the kids in the car (I learned to drive in Michigan, they don't pull you over there until AFTER 80-speed limit is 70, so 16 over is NOT a big deal). So, now he's facing a suspension in NJ if we pay the ticket. We have to pay, we feel morally obligated, but my dear husband hasn't had his license back for very long. Plus, his NY tickets and NJ tickets show up in the computer in both states...tried getting licensed in NY when NJ was suspended..the computer systems are linked now I think and we still haven't gotten over the panic of driving next to police, imagine the hysteria if we don't pay.. Long island is actually quite a drive for us, not sure if we should fight the turn signal one, which will cost us a mint but save his license if it gets thrown out, because we run the risk of it turning to 1 point and then completely wasting our time since it would be 2 in NJ anyways. Opinions? Husband is an excellent driver, and if our car weren't so fun to drive, we would've been going to speed limit.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Why do you think your turn signal ticket is going to get thrown out. Your husband has had his license 5 times. This is going to be #6? But if you get that thrown out then it won't get suspended??? Well it is a long shot. It sounds like it is YOUR call whether having a license is worth it or not.

Just make sure your husband does not go to fight that ticket alone, else he may be walking home.

You should sell whatever car you have and get a very slow car. I would highly suggest a Diesel Jetta Wagon, or Passat...

You can use the difference to help pay for the fines, and taxi service while the license is suspended. and increased insurance when he gets it back.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:43 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Sometimes if you wait long enough, several years before you go to court, either the cops moves or he may not remember much about any ticket he wrote 5 years ago. I've won both.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:56 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Quote:
not remember much about any ticket he wrote 5 years ago.
I've had longer than that and got guilty findings on every one. in addition the judge hammered the driver with additional fines for failure to appear.

Quote:
was finally mailed a last letter saying my privileges were revoked.
Except one of the questions asked upon renewal is if your license is suspended. It is. answered no is a fraud and can be taken to a much higher level. The NDR will list the revocation in NY and is accessible by insurance companies and state dmv agencies. That's why after years drivers show up to clear up summons. Most just plead guilty to clear them up.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I drive in NY (specifically NYC ALOT) so I would never do as Mike suggested.

My "friend" got a speeding ticket of close to 100mph comming off the Verrazanno onto the BQE. Trooper was PISSED and towed the car (so i heard). Anyways, my friend paid the ticket, got the car out of impound and received 2 points on his license in NJ. Nothing happened until said friend changed INS companies and it turned up on his abstract. He did have to pay more but by then, 2.5 years had passed so the increase was only for the first year. Most INS companies care most about the last 3 years.
Is your 'friend' you?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 PM

60 posts, read 155,187 times
I got a ticket in North Carolina doing 85 in a 70.. apparently anything over 80 requires you to go to court... however, I was NOT doing that 9 hour drive back to NC for the ticket, and I sure as hell did not need the extra points on the license.

NC is cheap, keep in mind. However, I hired a lawyer for $260 to go represent me. The lawyer got it reduced to 'improper vehicle equipment' with no points. Out-of-state, i am not sure if they can view your points from another state... I had like 9 points though so it's not as though I was a first time offender and let off easy. ALSO, the $260 paid for the lawyer, the ticket, and the court fees. not a bad deal.

Moral of the story - get a traffic lawyer. They can do wonders... especially where there is much at stake... just shop around though - another lawyer wanted to charge me $500! (again in NC thats expensive... here that may be a bargain)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: