Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:16 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

Ok, let's say, hypothetically, someone named Dammius got a ticket in another state which rhymes with Blue Fork. Let's say that ticket in Blue Fork has a value of 6 points (were Dammius a Blue Fork resident). But Dammius is a New Jersey resident. According to the MVC website, an out-of-state violation earns you 2 points on your NJ record.

Does anyone have experience getting a ticket out-of-state? I doubt Dammius can fight the ticket off altogether, but he/she could seek a reduction in points/fine. But if NJ reports all out-of-state violations as 2 points, and assuming the insurance company reviews the record in state of residence, would it matter if the points were higher or lower in "blue fork" as far as insurance is concerned?

**Dammius regrets the mistake which earned him/her the ticket, and is typically a very safe driver. So please don't turn this into a "Dammius, you're a danger to our children" lecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 03:20 PM

229 posts, read 923,415 times
All out of state tickets, except DUI are 2 point tickets on your NJ license. BUt they count as full point value on insurance.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post
All out of state tickets, except DUI are 2 point tickets on your NJ license. BUt they count as full point value on insurance.
Unless you change your policy or are simply unlucky, insurance companies often do not find out about out-of-state tickets. Not saying it definitely wouldn't show up, but many people never see a rate hike because of an out-of-state ticket. In addition, six "New York points" may not equal six "Jersey points," so your insurance company would apply what is on your driver abstract, which is at most two points. Generally, NJ customers do not see an insurance hike until after three or more points.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:00 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Also keep in mind it is against the law to pay any Blue Fork tickets if you are from the Great State of the Great Seal. We have diplomatic immunity, besides we have to show them how to drive.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm just trying to weigh options, whether it's worthwhile paying hundreds of dollars to travel to attend court in person or hire an attorney to try and reduce the number of NY points. Or if any violation is reported in NJ as 2 points (and if that's what the ins. company goes by??) then the # of NY points may be irrelevant and not worth a bucket of cash to reduce.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:56 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
I got +2 points for flying in VA going like 95 at 5 AM the day after thanksgiving. This is what I get for borrowing parents BMW (my car has 90 horsepower). Trying to get home from grandmothers. My insurance has since only went down. Guess I'm gettin old

I would not waste your time trying to fight this. 2 points is the best case scenario, and the only scenario.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I got +2 points for flying in VA going like 95 at 5 AM the day after thanksgiving. This is what I get for borrowing parents BMW (my car has 90 horsepower). Trying to get home from grandmothers. My insurance has since only went down. Guess I'm gettin old

I would not waste your time trying to fight this. 2 points is the best case scenario, and the only scenario.
What he said. Spending time/money to fight out-of-state tickets isn't worth it in most cases. Obviously, for more serious charges like DUI it is, but not your run-of-the-mill speeding ticket or other minor violation.

LOL. And your BMW experience is similar to mine when I went from my first car, a Mazda Protoge with 150K miles and 89 horsepower, to a Saab 9-3 Turbo. I just HAD to hit the century mark in my first drive on the GSP from the dealer down in Atlantic County on the drive home.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Unless you change your policy or are simply unlucky, insurance companies often do not find out about out-of-state tickets. Not saying it definitely wouldn't show up, but many people never see a rate hike because of an out-of-state ticket. In addition, six "New York points" may not equal six "Jersey points," so your insurance company would apply what is on your driver abstract, which is at most two points. Generally, NJ customers do not see an insurance hike until after three or more points.
Yeah I noticed NYS has a different points scale than NJ. The same offense which earned me 6 NY points would have been worth 4 points had it occurred in NJ.

So I think the consensus is I should just plead guilty, pay the fine on 6 NY points, and take the 2 points NJ gives for out-of-state violations. And then keep my fingers crossed that the insurance company is never alerted to the 2 NJ points. Even if I were to plead down the NY points to 2 or 4, NJ would still give me 2 points anyway, so it's not worth the fight (cash).

Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
I have a confession I will now make.

In summer of 1996, I was driving down I-81 from Alexandria Bay NY. I was driving through Syracuse, where the speed limit dropped from 65 to 55 mph. Just before the end of the town limits, I was flagged for going 74 in a 55 mph. If I really wanted to argue this down, I could have claimed it was a 65 mph speed zone, and who knows what might have happened. The problem was, it was Syracuse. Such a drive would be impractical. However, this was to be a 4 point ticket on my license. Back in 1991, I had a similar violation in Maryland. It transferred to my NJ license, and ruined me for 42 months. My insurance skyrocketed.

Guess what I did? I never paid the ticket. I received 3 letters in the mail from the state of NY threatening to revoke my privileges in New York state. I ignored all of them. I was finally mailed a last letter saying my privileges were revoked.

Since I never pled guilty to the offense, the points never transferred to my NJ license. The swap was that I couldn't drive in NY any longer. After I moved to Southern NJ, my trips to NY state became much less frequent.

The moral: I was never arrested by NY state police, nor were my NJ insurance premiums increased.

You want to know something else? About 5 years later, my mom was issued a speeding ticket in NY, while driving upstate to visit family. She took my advice and never paid her ticket either. Same procedure (repeated threats mailed, no action taken) same results. In 2004, same thing happened with my wife. Guess what she did? Same procedure, same results!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 AM

Hmm... I wouldn't want to mess with not paying tickets unless I was in a dire situation (ie. the additional points would cause a revocation in NJ). I don't drive in NY a lot, but I'd hate that "always looking over my shoulder" feeling. Also, while some local police departments don't check that thoroughly, NJ State Police as well as MANY local agencies use the LEADS computer system, where that ticket would most definitely show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: