U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 PM

6 posts, read 32,700 times

Advertisements

I am getting tired of all these negative comments. I have a Ryan home. My experience has been like many other owners. OK but more on the positive side.

I am asking Ryan homes to repond to all the negative comments or other home owners to share their positive experiences.

How can a public company only have negative comments and continue to sell homes?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 10:15 AM

228 posts, read 1,148,271 times
Most people will only complain. I have a Ryan home and so far I haven't had any major problems. But my house was one of the last ones in the development and is smaller and less complicated. My neighbors... well... they have some horror stories to tell.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:26 PM

6 posts, read 32,700 times
such as?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:45 PM
DNJ

54 posts, read 228,656 times
Our home is a little over a year old. We have been pleased with Ryan Homes.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:44 PM

90 posts, read 164,767 times
my husband is very concerned about the 10,000 check they want to start building. They want it made out to RYAN? In PA there was always a third party escrow account to protect our money. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 PM

44 posts, read 162,131 times
We are another satisfied Ryan Home buyer.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 AM
o2b

13 posts, read 83,577 times
But there are others that are not happy AT ALL!
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-jersey/71260-looking-ryan-homes-rivers-edge-delanco-new-post.html

Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM
o2b

13 posts, read 83,577 times
We are in a fairmount and have heating / cooling issues as well as all our style units. Had an analysis done on our unit by an independent company who found the HVAC was barely large enough to handle the load - barely, so Ryan won't do anything. Our house literally shimmies on the third floor when we get heavy winds and the clanks and grinding during the storms keep us awake. We are probably going to get an engineer out to investigate.

The homes are 2x4 construction so insulation is minimum - the walls are COLD in the winter. I've found pockets with no insulation and I know there is no vapor barrier on interior walls. I can't recall seeing a house wrap before the siding was put up - with the exception of around doors and windows. Not sure if this is to code or not.

There have been numerous issues with the plumbing in all the units in our community - so much so that entire streets and driveways have been dug up to try to fix the problems. Plumbing issues have also resulted in lower units/floors being flooded by leaking pipes.

There is an ongoing issue with no storage and lack of parking. Because the units were so poorly designed, there is NO STORAGE. Everyone uses the garage for storage which leaves a shortage of parking in the community. Everyday, it looks like we are having a block party because cars are parked EVERYWHERE, including in the "No Parking - Fire Lane" zone creating a safety hazard for the entire community. Everyone has complained endlessly about the lack of parking. Ryan has offered NO resolution in spite of the fact that there is an area they could have converted entirely to parking which would solve the problem. But, as far as Ryan is concerned, they are done, they've made their money and they are outtahere! It will be left to the condo association to fix the problem which will mean an increase in our monthly fees.

Ryan has also failed to finish our roads. Manholes are raised about 10 inches from the street surface and when you pull into your driveway, it's like driving up a curb. With the recent snows, chunks of asphalt are scattered on lawns and sidewalks.

The community has little landscaping (nothing compared to what was presented in the model homes) and we were never told that there are no sprinklers systems installed leaving home owners to water their own lawns. In theory this could work except that we are a community of townhouses and condos. So, if you live in a condo (one unit on top of another), whose responsible for watering the lawn? Who should foot that bill? The answer in most cases is neither - and the lawn dies. There are also common areas with the same problem and no access to water even if someone wanted to take on that responsibility and price tag.

My advice to anyone thinking of buying Ryan is DON'T. This company has one goal - to make money and to make a lot of it! They have figured out every last corner to cut to make that happen - at the expense of hard-working people's largest single investment - your home, and in our case, our life savings.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 PM

16 posts, read 94,695 times
The thing with Ryan is that you can get a house with out-of-plumb walls and a wet basement or get lucky and get a house with no problems at all.

Alot of it depends on the contractors. They operate under strict orders and timelines. It's "measure once, cut once." If there's a problem then they patch it up rather than go back and do it again. Sure, you get a big house quickly, but Ryan sacrifices quality control in order to bring you an affordable dream home in half the time than any other builder would.

We considered Ryan for a long time. We knew that there was a 50/50 chance on getting a house with no issues. In the end, we went with another builder and spent the extra money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey