Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:55 AM

95 posts, read 527,975 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently moved to NJ from Brooklyn and my father wants me to have one of our family cars. It is registered and insured on his name in NY, I am in th policy as well. Do I need to contact NJDMV to ask for a new title and have the transaction registered as a gift or do I have to have the title first be transfered to my name in NY and then register it with NJDMV? If you ever had to do such transfer and could share your experience, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 02:45 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,110 times
Default You only have to go to one office - the NJDMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-er in WO View Post
Hi,
I recently moved to NJ from Brooklyn and my father wants me to have one of our family cars. It is registered and insured on his name in NY, I am in th policy as well. Do I need to contact NJDMV to ask for a new title and have the transaction registered as a gift or do I have to have the title first be transfered to my name in NY and then register it with NJDMV? If you ever had to do such transfer and could share your experience, I will really appreciate it.
Thanks,
It's treated as a sale and purchase. Your dad signs the New York title as the Seller. Then you bring the NY title to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Division and obtain a NJ title it in your name as a purchaser. It couldn't hurt to also have your father give you a gift letter.

You already have a New Jersey license, right? You will now need a new insurance policy specifically written for a New Jersey titled vehicle. When you go to DMV, bring proof of your prearranged New Jersey insurance with you. You'll need the insurance company name and policy number.

Be aware that if the car has an outstanding loan on it, you will be required to pay New Jersey sales tax on the balance of the debt because the transaction will be deemed a sale at a price equal to the loan balance.

I suggest you go midweek, mid-month, first thing in the morning.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:21 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,820 times
Good advice above. I bought a vehicle in Delaware several years ago and it was no problem registering it in N.J. I just went to the DMV with the paperwork and they printed the title right there and gave me the plates.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:31 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,354 times
Default ?

My title went missing for one of my cars. It was bought and paid for in Jersey and is now in Florida. How would I go about getting a replacement title while out of state? Is it even possible to speak to someone at MV in Jersey?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
My title went missing for one of my cars. It was bought and paid for in Jersey and is now in Florida. How would I go about getting a replacement title while out of state? Is it even possible to speak to someone at MV in Jersey?
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/About/ISM_SS-52.pdf

Old 08-14-2009, 05:14 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Actually to only get a title, you do not need any insurance, but to register the car and get plates, you have to get insurance in NJ, which you have to write the company name and policy number on the back of the appliaction card.

Also I'm fairly sure almost all states mail you the title if the car is from out of state. Usually whithin a week or two.

Also there is a check box on the sales tax form if the car was a gift from a relative.

Many times on out of state cars they make you do a pencil tracing of the serial number also. You take a piece of paper, place it over the stamped metal vinny number and rub the paper with a pencil to get a pencil tracing. I know some DMV agencies in NJ insist on this, others don't. PA also does this, since my son had to do that over there.

In NJ you have 2 weeks from when its reg'd to inspect it, & btw we have state stations where you just drive through with no extra fee, it's supposed to be part of the reggy cost.

G' luck.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 AM

95 posts, read 527,975 times
Thanks for your responses. Now all I have to get is the NJ license.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 27,868 times
I have a nys title in my name, my father lives in NJ with NJ insurance how I do get put under his policy if the ownership is in my name? Will I have to have the title transfered to NJ inorder to have NJ insurance and how long will the wait take? Finally how is it possible to have the car inspected in NJ if I cannot move it til it is registered? I heard about an out of state temporary registration form but I am an NYS resident.. Please help inform me thank you

Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Yungin View Post
I have a nys title in my name, my father lives in NJ with NJ insurance how I do get put under his policy if the ownership is in my name? Will I have to have the title transfered to NJ inorder to have NJ insurance and how long will the wait take? Finally how is it possible to have the car inspected in NJ if I cannot move it til it is registered? I heard about an out of state temporary registration form but I am an NYS resident.. Please help inform me thank you
You go into a NJ motor vehicle agency with the original title and change it to yourself at a NJ address, you will then need a NJ registration, plates, driver license. Its done fairly quickly, same day, but some days there may be a longer line, other days not. I find some of the smaller NJMVC agencies may have shorter lines than some of the ones near larger cities or on highways.
When you get a new registration they give you a pink card that goes on your windshield which is good for 2 weeks so you can drive around before going to inspection.
NJ inspection is slightly different than NY or PA, you can go to a state run inspection facility where you drive through and don't pay anything else or you can go to a private licensed garage and pay fees.

Note you will have to get a NJ license, unless the car goes in your father's? name, etc.

On the NJ registration form they will ask you the insurance company and policy number so the car needs to be insured at the time it is reg'd. You also might go for your own insurance if your record is not too bad. Either that or your father will have to add the car and you to his policy. You will need a NJ license either way, unless the car goes in his name and you drive under your NY license. Guess it also depends where you actually live, etc.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 28,924 times
Question Buying a used car in the Bronx; how can I drive it legally to Jersey?

I live on the central jersey shore and my car was flooded (totalled) in super storm Sandy. Tomorrow I'm finally purchasing a used replacement vehicle from a private seller in the Bronx. Apparently they're required to remove the NY plates to return them to MV.

I can get the car added to my existing ins. policy w/ just a business hours phone call. . . but how do I handle moving the car to jersey prior to registering it there and being issued NJ plates, etc?

All helpful info and advice appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: