Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,436 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone here taught in any of the urban schools in NJ, and what your experiences were like (I'd like to hear both good and bad)? I've been a teacher for a while and have talked to teachers in other cities such as Chicago and Philadelphia, but haven't talked much about city schools in NJ. I understand some of them are more well-run than others? I have considered teaching in an urban district for some time now (it's been on my mind the last few years) but am hesitant because of some of the horror stories I've heard from places like Philly and Chicago. Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 10:50 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,460,465 times
Yep, I do. And it sure is rough. But maybe not for the reasons you think.

Are there instances of violence and kids cursing teachers out? Yes. But it's not like every kid in every urban district is constantly beating up every other kid every day. And yes, sometimes teachers do get attacked by students. But student on teacher violence, overall, is fairly rare. (I did have a group of kids shove me once when I kept them for detention in middle school, but nothing more serious has happened to me personally. I do know a few teachers who were seriously attacked by students though.)

The bigger challenges in urban districts come from having to deal with the adults. If you have a violent incident in your class, even if a student attacks you, don't be surprised if nothing happens. The student may be right back in class ten minutes later while you may have to go to a doctor to get examined. Why? Administrators don't want to run up suspension numbers, because they think it makes the district look bad (and then the state administrators come down on them). Most urban districts do not devote adequate resources to addressing the baggage that many children bring into school; child study teams in most urban districts are overwhelmed,to say the least. There's no time for teachers to address social skills either. Everything is focused on core academic subjects that are tested (primarily reading and math).

If you try to discuss these issues with most administrators in most urban districts, they'll refuse to discuss it with you. Persist, and you're looking at an insubordination write-up. There is very little collaboration between teachers and administrators in urban districts. The philosophy in many of them is "Do what we say because we told you so, and no one is going to stop us." Now you could bring the case to your local association, but they most likely will not get involved unless the case is open and shut (which is very rare).

Then you have to deal with supervisors, principals, and other higher-ups coming into your classroom for three minutes here, two minutes there, going through EVERYTHING in your room (sometimes even your desks and closets) and evaluating you based on these sporadic visits. One day they'll tell you to do something one way, then they'll write you up because they changed the way they wanted things done. Oh, they didn't inform you of the changes? Too bad. Write-up. Then they'll change it back to the original way. Oh, you didn't get that notice either? Take it up with the union. (Have fun.)

Don't believe the hype about shortages in urban districts in NJ. There are a few subjects where vacancies are a little higher than others, and it may be slightly easier to get a job in an urban district, but it's still very difficult. And, trust me, if they don't want to hire you, they won't hire you, vacancy or no vacancy.

Many administrators will look for any little thing they can find to build a case for termination if you're non-tenured, or a case for increment withholding if you're tenured. And with those administrators popping into your classrooms at any given time (sometimes even after hours), you have to always be on your toes.

So, why do it? Well, the vast majority of kids are great, hard-working kids who simply have to deal with a lot more than most people their age. And there are some truly wonderful teachers working in urban districts (and a few wonderful administrators). Are there nuts too? Well yes, just like in any other profession. And it doesn't hurt that pay is decent in most urban districts (you'll need that money to buy supplies).

Would I give up a job in a suburb to work in an urban district? Probably not. Suburban schools have their own unique problems (especially the more affluent ones), but I don't think they can compare to the problems in urban districts. On the other hand, working in an urban district isn't horrible enough to get me to look for another job either.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:50 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,986 times
Wow! Zhelder, I don't want to work in your district/school.

I work in an urban district and although it's not perfect, after 16 years in corporate america I find the school environment a pleasant change.

First, every school in every district has it's own issues and differences. I've only been teaching a few years but I have met teachers from different districts and different schools and everyone has a story. Parents who insist a fifth graders grade gets changed because it isn't good enough. Principals that require lesson plans that take hours to write and get so detailed that it becomes ridiculous. Districts that change reading programs every 2 years, etc.

My take on urban schools is that in order to be effective you need to grasp the differences between these students and those in other districts. Parents are generally uninvolved. I work in one of the better elementary schools in my district but we still only have about a 30% turnout on back to school night. Students face stresses at home that most of us can not imagine. Poor hygiene, poor nutrition, poor habits (they don't read at home and many do not get outside much or they are left outside alone). Many have family members that are incarcerated. In 1 year I had two students who had a close relative shot. Third graders that make gang signs and know what they mean.

However, at the elementary school age most of these kids want to learn. I'm not scared of the kids although some of the parents can be intimidating. I think in order for you to be a good teacher in an urban district you need to be confident, compassionate and consistent with discipline. I feel lucky because I believe I work in a district that is really trying to improve although often misdirected in how to go about it. I get a $150 per year supply budget. I have to order ALL my supplies including paper for my classroom printer, glue, crayons, writing paper, construction paper, pencils, etc. with that money. I spend a lot out of pocket each year.

I love working where I am. I know that my kids feel safe in my classroom. I have kids that don't like Fridays because they have nothing to do all weekend and would rather be in my classroom. I feel like I'm making a difference.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:38 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Default Urban/suburban - don't generalize too quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone here taught in any of the urban schools in NJ, and what your experiences were like (I'd like to hear both good and bad)? I've been a teacher for a while and have talked to teachers in other cities such as Chicago and Philadelphia, but haven't talked much about city schools in NJ. I understand some of them are more well-run than others? I have considered teaching in an urban district for some time now (it's been on my mind the last few years) but am hesitant because of some of the horror stories I've heard from places like Philly and Chicago. Thanks for any help you can give.
You are absolutely right: some are much more well-run than others!

Be careful not to generalize urban districts. There are hard-core, politically entrenched urban districts run by bureaucrats. There are also, stable urban districts run by educators. Embrace the latter, flee to former.

In this regard, suburban districts have more similarities to urban districts than one may think. Likewise, for job satisfaction, avoid the politically entrenched suburban districts run by bureaucrats and consider the districts run by educators.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,436 times
Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to fill me in. Do any of you know anything about the Trenton, New Brunswick, or Burlington City high schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey