Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:54 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times

Advertisements

For the record, I would think that Pt. Pleasant would be one of the places where you'd have the biggest risk of being robbed. Unlike town beaches, Pt. Pleasant is commercial owned (Jenkinson's) and there are all visitors from various places there - in other words, people usually don't know each other and there are no regulars who often keep an eye on things and report something suspicious that happens. In addition, Jenkinson's beach is a very wide area that is very crowded, so it's much easier for someone to swipe something and get lost in the crowd.

Though it's a nice place to go to the beach if you're visiting - parking lots, boardwalk, food, etc. - town beaches usually less crowded and less chaotic, and a robbery wouldn't go unnoticed as easily. I know on my street in LBI, there are plenty of people from the neighborhood who would get up and say something if they saw someone stealing items from a beach bag while someone was in the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
don't be a wiseass. I was making a point... The OP asked a question and I relayed my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Yeah sometimes I leave my car doors unlocked and nothing ever happened so I guess car door locks are useless. Thanks for your anecdote.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:47 AM

501 posts, read 1,429,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
you know what? people like you really bother me. probably even more then the thieves.

you live your life in fear. you rain on everyone's parade because of "safety".

you seriously are not gonna go swimming with your friends or family so you can guard $30 and your flip flops? give me a break.

Jeez. I would hate to be this womans kids. I bet they are putting suntan lotion on every 10 minutes and cant go in the water past there knees
Apparently, you didn't read my post thoroughly. (And I'm not the type to live in fear. If I did, I'd probably go hide in a cave right now and speak nonsense that 2013 is doomsyear! ) My post was just trying to spark some common sense in safety. Not trying to say that everyone has to stay put by their towels and watch hawk-like eyes at your stuff at all times. ( Aiy yie yie, people these days...) Bottom line: Just be careful of your belongings.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:40 AM

43 posts, read 139,792 times
Point Pleasant is getting worse. Seaside or Sleaside is a total dump and will eventually become the modern day derelict version of Asbury Park. These areas are rapidly becoming ocean front ghettos.

Anyone who brings valuables to these places is asking for trouble. Just my two cents.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
hopefully they learned a valuable lesson........

Old 08-18-2009, 11:56 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemobes View Post
Point Pleasant is getting worse. Seaside or Sleaside is a total dump and will eventually become the modern day derelict version of Asbury Park. These areas are rapidly becoming ocean front ghettos.

Anyone who brings valuables to these places is asking for trouble. Just my two cents.
That's a ridiculous statement to say the least. Pt. Pleasant Beach is an absolutely a lily-white town with zero crime, save for one motel which is being knocked down this off-season. If anything, people complain that police there are too strict and they can't get away with anything. To even jokingly compare Pt. Pleasant to the likes of Asbury Park is mind-blowing to say the least.

As far as Seaside, many of the sleazier motels and clubs that attracted rowdy clientele have been razed and newer, cleaner bars and restaurants have taken their places. Seaside will always have a little bit of a rough edge, but that's part of its charm. It's not actually dangerous, save for some of the locals at Riggers's Bar.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:04 PM

43 posts, read 139,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
That's a ridiculous statement to say the least. Pt. Pleasant Beach is an absolutely a lily-white town with zero crime, save for one motel which is being knocked down this off-season. If anything, people complain that police there are too strict and they can't get away with anything. To even jokingly compare Pt. Pleasant to the likes of Asbury Park is mind-blowing to say the least.

As far as Seaside, many of the sleazier motels and clubs that attracted rowdy clientele have been razed and newer, cleaner bars and restaurants have taken their places. Seaside will always have a little bit of a rough edge, but that's part of its charm. It's not actually dangerous, save for some of the locals at Riggers's Bar.
Have you actually seen all the boarded up places in and around Seaside? I'm not sure what Seaside you are going to. The problem is these towns attract a terrible element. Point Pleasant is OK right now but once Seaside is destroyed, wouldn't it be logical to assume Point would be next in line?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:47 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,543 times
Noooo I havent but I was once at Sesame Place and took a whole bunch of pictures, set my camera on the curb as I tied my shoe lace and some bratty snot ball kid came and stomped on it........his parents did nothing and my dh led me away as to not carry on a scene. Needless to say the pictures and camera were destroyed and I was livid.......

Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 PM

825 posts, read 3,161,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemobes View Post
Have you actually seen all the boarded up places in and around Seaside? I'm not sure what Seaside you are going to. The problem is these towns attract a terrible element. Point Pleasant is OK right now but once Seaside is destroyed, wouldn't it be logical to assume Point would be next in line?
I haven't been to Seaside in about two years and I was planning on going before the summer is over. Is it really that bad? Should I change my plans?

Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
Has anyone ever been robbed at the Jersey Shore?
No, just pick-pocketed in Philly.

Anyway, some good advice here. I never take any valuables down to the water. Just one car key and a little cash, zip-locked and safety-pinned on my clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey