Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 02:48 PM

39 posts, read 110,877 times

Advertisements

. Most of us were without benefits for 1 or 2 of those months. I think that way the politicians covered themselves by saying they were working on it and then finally passed it in November so then people had benefits through the end of the year.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:01 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencir View Post
Hopefully Congress will extend unemployment benefits immediately on Sept. 8. before this crisis becomes even more devastating. Jobs here in Calif are scarce and I just received my last extension check.
This forum is for New Jersey. The administration of Unemployment varies from state to state.

You seem to have a lot of opinions -- although your writing style varies dramatically from post to post. Nevertheless, perhaps you would find people with circumstances more similar to yours in the California forum.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 PM

89 posts, read 186,624 times
Hi Spencir,

Everyone can understand your frustration and worry, we all just have to wait for tomorrow. I'm quite sure these guys that want to get back in to office will think quickly about extending unemployment. Spencir, there are a LOT of people fight for this, more than you can realize. Just hold on!!!
Make sure your friends call their local politicians. Never mind reading this bill or that bill, , what matters right is when the nation starts screaming, that's what get the ball rolling as before 18years ago. There are a lot of organizations working on this!! Be cool for a cool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencir View Post
. Most of us were without benefits for 1 or 2 of those months. I think that way the politicians covered themselves by saying they were working on it and then finally passed it in November so then people had benefits through the end of the year.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:07 PM

39 posts, read 110,877 times
thank you soo much for ur answer .. me and my family we live with out any money... and after i lose my job ifeel soo bad coz i cant find any job

thanks u

Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 AM

63 posts, read 135,103 times
Default Wondering

Hi folks, I have been out seeking employment today again with no luck. Just wondered if anyone has heard any good news about another extension. Sorry, but I've been out since 7 this morning, and didn't have time to listen to the news. Thank you diorgirl for all of your help here, and I hope this thread does not close.....it has too much good information posted on it. Good luck to everyone.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,646 times
Harryv;10396299, I live in Texas and I finally had to break down and apply for foodstamps (BTW I didn't qualify single mom 2 kids) anyway they sent my info to the Worksource and the Worksource sent me letters for me to get retrained. Anyway, I went down took all of the test, paid for gas, babysitter for 4 days. Well, when I went back to the Worksource they told me that education would take to long and I needed to get a job now instead of going to school. Hey folk's, I was laid off in September 2007, because my job was outsourced to India, I collected unemployment for 5 weeks found another job, worked it for 3 months to get laid off again due to lack of product being sold. I collected unemployment again for 4 weeks and then I got another job. was laid off again after 2 months because of lack of sales. Collected unemployment and got another job after 3 months and worked for about 2 months and I was fighting everyday to get paid, so I no longer work there (family owned). I am still waiting for the rest of the money they owe me and it's been six months. Anyway it's been 24 months since my original lay off, my resume is totally butched now, because have a job, then switch a job, have a job then switch a job. Now nobody want to even look at my resume when they can get other resume's from people that recently got laid off and no gaps. Just so you know, I am 43 and before my "original" lay off I only had 4 job in my entire life time with now gaps. I've alway worked. My field was in insurance, so I have to do a career change and nobody wants a 43 year old with a career change. The insurance market is flooded with resume's especially now with the AIG crap. Good luck getting back to school!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:09 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeblanca View Post
Harryv;10396299, I live in Texas and I finally had to break down and apply for foodstamps (BTW I didn't qualify single mom 2 kids) anyway they sent my info to the Worksource and the Worksource sent me letters for me to get retrained. Anyway, I went down took all of the test, paid for gas, babysitter for 4 days. Well, when I went back to the Worksource they told me that education would take to long and I needed to get a job now instead of going to school. Hey folk's, I was laid off in September 2007, because my job was outsourced to India, I collected unemployment for 5 weeks found another job, worked it for 3 months to get laid off again due to lack of product being sold. I collected unemployment again for 4 weeks and then I got another job. was laid off again after 2 months because of lack of sales. Collected unemployment and got another job after 3 months and worked for about 2 months and I was fighting everyday to get paid, so I no longer work there (family owned). I am still waiting for the rest of the money they owe me and it's been six months. Anyway it's been 24 months since my original lay off, my resume is totally butched now, because have a job, then switch a job, have a job then switch a job. Now nobody want to even look at my resume when they can get other resume's from people that recently got laid off and no gaps. Just so you know, I am 43 and before my "original" lay off I only had 4 job in my entire life time with now gaps. I've alway worked. My field was in insurance, so I have to do a career change and nobody wants a 43 year old with a career change. The insurance market is flooded with resume's especially now with the AIG crap. Good luck getting back to school!
Hope things work out for you, this is sad. There's a lot of this nonsense going on between the Government and Employers.

On my Resume I never put gaps of unemployment, I stretched the dates of employment. As to jobs being outsourced to India, I was part of that too, but the Government just sat back, let it happen, and now we're in trouble.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:12 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
New Jersey's unemployment rate rose from 9.2% in June to 9.3% in July. The national unemployment rate was 9.4% in July.

To be eligible for the new extension, McDermott's bill (HR3404) requires that a state have a three-month average unemployment rate of at least 9% at the time the bill is enacted. Reed's bill (S1647) sets a lower threshold of 8.5%.

New Jersey's current three-month average is 9.1%, based on the most recently reported rates for May, June, and July.
Just FYI -- It's been reported that New Jersey's unemployment numbers for August 2009 will be announced on September 16.

That means the three-month average unemployment rate that will probably be the qualifying factor for any new extension that may be enacted by the end of this month will be the average of the June (9.2%), July (9.3%), and August (TBD) numbers.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:31 PM

22 posts, read 47,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Just FYI -- It's been reported that New Jersey's unemployment numbers for August 2009 will be announced on September 16.

That means the three-month average unemployment rate that will probably be the qualifying factor for any new extension that may be enacted by the end of this month will be the average of the June (9.2%), July (9.3%), and August (TBD) numbers.

Thanks Diorgirl. I hope they don't exclude us because we're just a bit below the national 9.4% rate. But I guess as long as we're above the 9% mark, we'll have a chance at least.
I didn't think I'd be needing to worry about this extension because I was promised a job (3 weeks ago). I was told to go in for an interview on Sept. 3rd, after the college interns went back to school. But when I went for the interview on the 3rd, I found the building dark and locked up.......they'd gone out of business since I spoke to them three weeks ago. I'm really worried now. Good luck to everybody.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 PM

87 posts, read 180,700 times
i just found about this thread and im a single mother of 2 and i recently ran out of benefits and i have been looking for work for the past 18 months and its really hard.i im not really looking for a extension i need a job . but in the mean time has there been any news since congress came back. if it wasnt for my kids i wouldn't care i'd sleep on the streets or in my car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey