Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 11:49 AM

516 posts, read 1,349,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
For those of you doing the math at home, the unemployment rates for the most recent three months are: June - 9.2 percent; July - 9.3 percent; August - 9.7 percent.

That gives NJ a current rolling three-month average rate of 9.4 percent -- well above the 8.5 percent required for a state's eligibility for another extension, as proposed in HR 3548.
Hi,Diorgirl,

What does that mean for us? I don't know what to hope for anymore.

Best regards, Wendy

Old 09-16-2009, 01:14 PM

139 posts, read 290,926 times
nemf4576 I to received my last check on the 4th of this month I hope I also receive the next extention. I have been looking and there is nothing. Just like everyone else I have bills to pay and I have no idea how I'm going to pay my rent. I even went to the welfair office and of course I don't qualifie. I really hope we get this extention.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:22 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyEF View Post
What does that mean for us? I don't know what to hope for anymore.
At this time, NJ would qualify to receive a fourth extension in benefits if:
(1) the bill that passes sets a minimum requirement of a three-month average unemployment rate at or below the three-month average that NJ has (currently 9.7 percent).

In their most recent discussions and proposals (including HR 3548), federal legislators have reduced the level of the three-month average unemployment rate required for an extension to 8.5 percent. So if the legislation with that 8.5 percent requirement is passed, NJ would qualify for the next extension.

AND

(2) the bill providing an extension is enacted before the September 2009 rate is determined (sometime in October 2009).

Right now, the three-month average for all states includes their June, July, and August rates; after the September numbers are announced, the three-month average will include their July, August, and September rates.

So NJ's eligibility could change if there is a dramatic drop in the September unemployment rate -- a drop deep enough to pull down the three-month average, below the average rate required in the legislation.

An aside about Unemployment rates:
At first glance, a dramatic drop in a state's unemployment rate might seem next to impossible in this economy.

But remember, the unemployment rates are essentially calculated based on the number of people actively seeking employment.

And the government has traditionally used the number of people collecting unemployment benefits (people who are supposedly actively seeking employment to get those benefits) to determine the percentage of jobless.

So once a person no longer collects Unemployment, he or she drops off the statistical radar and is not included in the official number of unemployment.

Given the masses of people collecting -- and eventually exhausting Unemployment benefits -- the traditional formula for determining the unemployment level at national and local levels would no longer be accurate. How can those who are out of work, actively seeking employment, but no longer eligible for benefits not be included???

In fact, economists have speculated that the current official unemployment rate at the national level could be as much as 5 to 8 percentage points below the actual rate.

It's a very complicated situation -- at the very least, how can the federal legislators base extensions on unemployment rates that most people acknowledge are not being calculated accurately???

Expect to hear more in the press about this "inaccurate tracking issue" on all federal and state benefits (including Unemployment) as more funding is needed for extensions -- and for health care reform.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 PM

348 posts, read 469,707 times
Would it be the 4th or 5th extension? Confused?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:36 PM

348 posts, read 469,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monorati1405 View Post
nemf4576 I to received my last check on the 4th of this month I hope I also receive the next extention. I have been looking and there is nothing. Just like everyone else I have bills to pay and I have no idea how I'm going to pay my rent. I even went to the welfair office and of course I don't qualifie. I really hope we get this extention.

Im in the same boat as you, I guess we will have to wait until H.R. 3548 has passage, Diorgirl any ideas please?

Thanks

Old 09-16-2009, 03:36 PM

47 posts, read 98,781 times
diorgirl, reading your last post and correct me if im wrong. you really think they wouldwait until sept numbers come out in oct to make a decision. i mean i was thinking and hopeing tha legislation would get passed by congress in at least 2 weeks then prez signs off. i was hopeing for the start of my checks to begin 0ct 15 you no 13 weeks then puts us threw january and the holidays just makes sense but if all of us have to wait pass oct i think alot of us are in big trouble.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
At this time, NJ would qualify to receive a fourth extension in benefits if:
(1) the bill that passes sets a minimum requirement of a three-month average unemployment rate at or below the three-month average that NJ has (currently 9.7 percent).
Correction: At this time, NJ would qualify to receive a fourth extension in benefits if:
(1) the bill that passes sets a minimum requirement of a three-month average unemployment rate at or below the three-month average that NJ has
(currently 9.4 percent).

Sorry -- the three-month average was incorrectly reported in the earlier post.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad99 View Post
diorgirl, reading your last post and correct me if im wrong. you really think they wouldwait until sept numbers come out in oct to make a decision. i mean i was thinking and hopeing tha legislation would get passed by congress in at least 2 weeks then prez signs off. i was hopeing for the start of my checks to begin 0ct 15 you no 13 weeks then puts us threw january and the holidays just makes sense but if all of us have to wait pass oct i think alot of us are in big trouble.
No, I wasn't implying that any of the legislators would intentionally delay an extension by waiting for the September numbers to be available.

Today is September 16 -- so the month is already more than half past. It just seems that given the range of disagreement in Congress right now about how to proceed with Unemployment, and the various steps a bill must go through to become law, it could easily take 3 or 4 more weeks to get things agreed upon and signed into law. At that point in October, the September numbers could already be out.

You remember that in response to an earlier concern that you raised here about the length of time this might take, I explained the process of review and revision that generally takes place before a bill is enacted (see post #318).

Add to that, the process that the state must then go through to get a system in place to actually get its funding determined and to administer the new extension (i.e., determine a start date, who is eligible, and their level of payment, etc.), and we are talking a bit more time.

Now it is possible that the differing factions in Congress could put their disputes aside and move the extension through -- and it is also possible that NJ's Department of Labor has a system tucked away that is all ready to go as soon as the bill is signed.

But at this time, we have no information to confirm that any of that is the case.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:25 PM

25 posts, read 49,097 times
I received my last check from EB. Do you think I should fill out my job searches ? The top is usually filled in , this one its blank. Any ideas.
Thanks

Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 PM

108 posts, read 242,947 times
cant hurt to fill it out and send it back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey