Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Not using it for a season is no problem.
I have a central system that was put in by the previous owners who never used it.
They apparently put it in because when remodeling it was the thing to do.
When I moved in it hadn't been on in 3 years. Turned it on and it ran fine.
But I do keep up with yearly inspections and checks since then.
jeez. i guess the saying "a suckers born every minute" is true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 08:06 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
if you have a leak in the ducts, he would notice his electricity bill rising, in which case having someone check it out would be a good idea. If the refrigerant is low, he would obviously notice.

There is no need to spend $100+ yearly to have someone look at your AC unit. none at all.
The OP said he wasn't going to be using the unit for a year. That alone warrants an inspection.

As for yearly inspections, it's a case of "you can pay me now or pay me later." It's like having your oil changed in your car every 3K or 5K. If you have the unit checked, you wind up lengthening the life of the unit. But if you wait until you see a rise in your electricity bill or don't feel cold air being pumped out, the likelihood of the condenser being replaced is much higher.

As an aside, if we're talking about townhouses in HOAs, the insurance companies for these places are adding on additional inspections that need to be conducted by unit owners on a yearly or two year basis. Right now it's just the fireplaces and dryer vents, but in a year or so, the hot water heaters are going to be required to be inspected as will the HVAC systems.

It's pathetic companies have to build in forced requirements of logical steps for maintenance. But as we have seen, it is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey