Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,447 times

Advertisements

I thought this is a great article explaining the current economic situation, copied from yahoo financial:

<mod cut- post the link- you can't copy the whole article>

Last edited by BobKovacs; 08-13-2009 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
I thought this is a great article explaining the current economic situation, copied from yahoo financial:
this violates TOS ...

Quote:
as stabilization and eventual recovery will happen on a localized, market-by-market basis.
Real estate agents just love the "all real estate is local" line.

But the truth of the matter is that these people, among other things, are really bad at math.

If you look at correlations between different regions that comprise the Case Shiller index, you will see very high correlation numbers (e.g. I ran a quick analysis in a spread sheet and got numbers over 0.99)

Given the relatively low correlations between the CS index and other assets classes, from equity to bonds to home building (correlation numbers all below 0.4 or so), the numbers actually support exactly the opposite -- that real estate is at least primarily global.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:54 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Default Supply-side real-estate-nomics!

It's all about the supply side! Real estate will not turn upward due to resurrected demand. It will only turn upward when Sellers can meaningfully say, "I won't take anything less." Presently, Sellers have practically no pricing power, which indicates to me that we still have a long way to go before seeing a real estate recovery.

My barometer: Real estate values will have hit bottom when the majority of real estate agents can honestly say that 85% or more of their Sellers won't lower their asking prices even after the house sits on the market for 90 days or more without receiving a single offer.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 PM

563 posts, read 1,286,447 times
sorry about that, here is the link:
Three Ways to Predict the End of the Housing Bounce - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Three-Ways-to-Predict-the-End-minyanville-1909575148.html?x=0&.v=7 - broken link)

Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
It's all about the supply side! Real estate will not turn upward due to resurrected demand. It will only turn upward when Sellers can meaningfully say, "I won't take anything less." Presently, Sellers have practically no pricing power, which indicates to me that we still have a long way to go before seeing a real estate recovery.

My barometer: Real estate values will have hit bottom when the majority of real estate agents can honestly say that 85% or more of their Sellers won't lower their asking prices even after the house sits on the market for 90 days or more without receiving a single offer.
They might be able to say that now -- the sellers don't lower their prices, so the places don't sell.

A barometer that is easier to measure, is sales numbers. When sales numbers are normal (not when they've bottomed out, but when they've bottomed out and returned to normal levels), it will be a sign that prices have bottomed out.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:39 PM

234 posts, read 813,970 times
What I have seen recently are sellers that won't lower, and we are running out of people that can afford their asking prices........so
holding a price won't matter if there are no buyers.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:08 PM

177 posts, read 700,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USER876 View Post
What I have seen recently are sellers that won't lower, and we are running out of people that can afford their asking prices........so
holding a price won't matter if there are no buyers.

True. Since the whole housing boom was based on a pyramid-type scheme using credit, how can it operate at anything other than what the prices were prior to that? Especially with the fact that unemployment is still very high. Unless it is a married household where both people are working in the realm of doctors and lawyers, who can even afford to look at the prices for a decent house in NJ now?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 AM

85 posts, read 271,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
True. Since the whole housing boom was based on a pyramid-type scheme using credit, how can it operate at anything other than what the prices were prior to that? Especially with the fact that unemployment is still very high. Unless it is a married household where both people are working in the realm of doctors and lawyers, who can even afford to look at the prices for a decent house in NJ now?

Correct.

On top of the pyramid scheme, you had artificially inflated demand with rediculously easy credit.
Those days are over and demand has and will continue to decrease UNTIL prices become affordable to those who want to purchase a house.

Pretty silly to say housing bottomed out when sellers won't lower their prices.

Their will ALWAYS be people who can not floor their price and have to sell for whatever reason and will lower selling price.

Housing will turn around when the majority of people who don't have hosues and want to, can comfortably afford to buy them.

Not a day before that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey