Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:49 AM

14 posts, read 80,188 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house in Verona, and I'm going to be commuting to NYC via the DeCamp buses starting next week. I'm hoping for some advice/tips from any other Verona-to-NYC commuters. First and foremost, I wanted to ask these questions:

1. Where exactly does the bus pick up in Verona? I know it's somewhere by the park on Bloomfield and Lakeside, but can someone verify the exact location?

2. Are the morning pick-up times true to what the DeCamp schedule says?

3. How long is the actual ride into the Port Authority in the morning? (I know the 45 minutes that the schedule claims can't be right.)

4. Can you buy bus tickets in Verona?

Any other tips or advice would also be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM

43 posts, read 139,439 times
I've taken DeCamp for nearly two years, mostly from Nutley but their service is HORRIBLE. It is completely unreliable and the people they have working at Port Authority are inept. You might be better off trying to find a parking spot in Montclair on a side street that isnt permit parking and taking one of the trains. Personally, I'd stay far away from DeCamp. It is also extremely overpriced for what they give you. NJT trains will have you in NYC in roughly 40 minutes DIRECT.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:05 PM

14 posts, read 80,188 times
Thanks for the tip. I've heard they are pretty horrendous. I'll do what I can to avoid the bus. I appreciate your help.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:28 PM

43 posts, read 139,439 times
Anytime, any questions about Decamp, feel free to PM me. I know a lot about them.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:41 PM

13 posts, read 67,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemobes View Post
I've taken DeCamp for nearly two years, mostly from Nutley but their service is HORRIBLE. It is completely unreliable and the people they have working at Port Authority are inept. You might be better off trying to find a parking spot in Montclair on a side street that isnt permit parking and taking one of the trains. Personally, I'd stay far away from DeCamp. It is also extremely overpriced for what they give you. NJT trains will have you in NYC in roughly 40 minutes DIRECT.
I too am looking at commuting options from Verona. Potentially bidding on a house in the afterglow section which by the looks of it is right in between the bus stop on Lakeview drive and valley rd. I did not consider your idea of parking on a side street in Montclair and jumping on a train. Any particular streets where this can be achieved? Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 AM

2 posts, read 16,000 times
I've never had many problems with DeCamp other than the bus being slightly late once in awhile.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:05 AM

29 posts, read 96,513 times
My husband and I just moved to Verona about 3 months ago and both taking Decamp buses to midtown.
We anticipated much worth commute that we have. It takes in average about 1h 15 minutes door to door each way for both of us. The only problem was so far was the first snow storm where it took about 2 hours to get to work. Usually the evening trip back to Verona takes a bit longer.

There are 2 buses you can take - 33G and 33Ex (also called i-280). They take different routes at some point so make sure you know what bus you want to take. 33Ex runs only during rush hours both morning and evening.

In the morning the bus is usually on time +/- a few minutes. If you leave in Verona get to the bus stop a few minutes before it's listed on your timetable. I am taking bus at the first stop at Verona and usually it there at the time that is listed. The first time arrive at least 5-10 minutes in advance and then adjust your time.

The bus stops when sees people standing in curb but you might want to wave the driver to make sure he stops. On your way from the city it stops on your request.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM

7,048 posts, read 19,200,955 times
I used to live right on the border of Verona and Montclair. I took the 33G bus (the 33X via 280 turns off Bloomfield Ave down by the park in Verona). What sucked about the 33G is that I was getting on near the beginning of the route. The bus takes forever to schlep its way through Montclair, stopping almost every block up Grove Street. The trip to the PABT on the 7:30 departure from Verona took about an hour most days.

Whoever asked about tickets, You can buy tickets at the PABT. DeCamp has a window on the ground floor of the north building. The bus drivers will accept cash on NJ pickups, but not for your return out of the city. You must have a ticket to leave the city.

What I hated most about commuting by bus was the evening return trip. I think after 8:30 they used to fall back to one bus per hour (and after 9:30 I think there were only one or two more buses before Midnight). I remember trying to hurry up and finish work or dinner, run 25 minutes across town, sometimes sprinting, to catch that bus. If I missed it, I got to stand on line for an hour. And I hated how the other Montclair-bound buses all had the same schedule. So if I missed my 33G, I also missed the 66, which passed within a few blocks of my house as well.

I eventually gave up on the bus and switched to the train. I never tried to find parking near Walnut Street station, but I rode my bike down there. It's great that it's all downhill from Verona (but up-hill for your return home). Just be sure you have a reliable ("NY Class") lock. My bike and many others were stolen from Walnut Street station. The good thing about the train is that it was reliable. The travel time wasn't much different, but the train took the same amount of time every day. And it was cheaper.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:48 AM

13 posts, read 67,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I used to live right on the border of Verona and Montclair. I took the 33G bus (the 33X via 280 turns off Bloomfield Ave down by the park in Verona). What sucked about the 33G is that I was getting on near the beginning of the route. The bus takes forever to schlep its way through Montclair, stopping almost every block up Grove Street. The trip to the PABT on the 7:30 departure from Verona took about an hour most days.

Whoever asked about tickets, You can buy tickets at the PABT. DeCamp has a window on the ground floor of the north building. The bus drivers will accept cash on NJ pickups, but not for your return out of the city. You must have a ticket to leave the city.

What I hated most about commuting by bus was the evening return trip. I think after 8:30 they used to fall back to one bus per hour (and after 9:30 I think there were only one or two more buses before Midnight). I remember trying to hurry up and finish work or dinner, run 25 minutes across town, sometimes sprinting, to catch that bus. If I missed it, I got to stand on line for an hour. And I hated how the other Montclair-bound buses all had the same schedule. So if I missed my 33G, I also missed the 66, which passed within a few blocks of my house as well.

I eventually gave up on the bus and switched to the train. I never tried to find parking near Walnut Street station, but I rode my bike down there. It's great that it's all downhill from Verona (but up-hill for your return home). Just be sure you have a reliable ("NY Class") lock. My bike and many others were stolen from Walnut Street station. The good thing about the train is that it was reliable. The travel time wasn't much different, but the train took the same amount of time every day. And it was cheaper.
Based on what you said about the bus stopping on every block on Grove in Montclair, will it stop to pick up anyone along the route? I will be on the border of Montclair/Verona and can walk down to Bloomfiled ave (close to MKA). Will the buss pick me up or do I need to walk to one of the stops. Thanks

Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,622,670 times
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I rarely ride the bus, but I know from times past that it picks up on Bloomfield ave., with one of the stops (the one I generally used/use) being right across from Henry's deli/food mart on the opposite side.

Whereabouts are you at in Verona?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey