Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:46 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
well I dont have a problem living with Black, hispanic, asian I have a problem actually one that I never thought of ........... it white people. However its the WHITE HILLBILLE!!! This is the worst. Trust me, the worst. A white person who is a hillbilllie. Give me a black or asian any day. I have lived with all types but this one and the past two years I got my dose of this, and they are the worst group.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:42 PM

91 posts, read 358,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
It's not terribly similar. First, "Asians" don't look for other "Asians" -- they look for the same nationality (e.g. Koreans, Chinese, Indians).

Second, they aren't looking for places that are 100% "Asian".

I think there's a big difference between looking for a town that is >10% white (to avoid being "the odd one out"), and looking for a town that is 99% white.
Perhaps you could explain Iselin to me then...

Old 08-20-2009, 07:38 PM

250 posts, read 563,160 times
Default True That

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I'm just throwing this out there but look at pay scales and hiring rates. Minorities not hired as much in corporate high paying jobs.
Look at the pay scale

White Males highest paid followed by
White Women
Black Women
Black Men

Now in some cases you can reverse black men and black women and you can probably say in some instances very rarely though they will earn more than their white male/female counterparts. And before anyone jumps down my throat about where I get my figures from it's from working in corporate offices, being privy to pay information, and speaking with coworkers who hold the same exact position, both with bachelor degrees but one is paid higher than the other. Hell I've found out a girl who started after me, less experience than me, and has a lesser role than me earns a $1 more per hour. Only difference was our skin color. Uh oh someone is going to say I pulled the "race card"
You are 100% correct. Trust me you dont need no figures to justify your point. Its so obvious in corporate.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 PM

91 posts, read 358,955 times
Integration and equality are what we strive for in America but let's be frank and realistic. People "gravitate" toward their own kind. It's natural. In nature animals live in harmony NOT necessarily integrated. Birds hang with birds, squirrels hang with squirrels, bunnies hang with bunny and they don't bother each other.....what is wrong with that?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
It would be interesting to see the OP's list with crime rates added to the data. Would make it all too clear why most people would prefer to live in the towns at the top of the list.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
You're correct on your first point. They are looking for the same nationality/ethnicity/religion. Not just other Asians, which is too broad a term to be meaningful.

I remember a recent post on here where an Asian family was absolutely looking for a very Asian town (I forget what countries) and she was unapologetic in saying that the other towns in the area weren't "diverse" enough for her. Meaning they were too white and not Asian enough. And that's fine, so be it, but I think that if a white family came on and said something similar, they would get accused of all sorts of things.
Wanting a diverse town is not the same as wanting a town that is completely homogeneous.

If they said that they want a town that is close to 100% Asian, because they don't want to live near non-Asians, they would get an earful hear.

Secondly, country of origin is different from ethnicity. A desire to live near people who share a common heritage should not in any way be confused with a desire to live in a community that is completely purged of ethnic minorities.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
It would be interesting to see the OP's list with crime rates added to the data. Would make it all too clear why most people would prefer to live in the towns at the top of the list.
Fort Lee is near the bottom of the list, but not a dump by any reasonable standard (including crime rate). Plenty of good towns a long way down that list.

Let's look at some examples:

381 Summit, NJ
393 Alpine, NJ
404 Livingston, NJ
560 Hoboken, NJ
573 West Orange, NJ
583 Fort Lee, NJ

Old 08-21-2009, 12:21 AM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times
Here are some examples of how I compiled the information I do have.

http://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/education/data/enr.pl

http://www.csde.state.ct.us/public/d...8/elema257.pdf

You can see why this research was "exhaustive", but I'll make a buck. I reiterate that I compiled the non-hispanic white information first since it is the largest group in the metropolitan area. The list is pure statistic, take from it as you will. I have lists for other metropolitan areas as well.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:14 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
you got it mike, thats the type. Cant afford razors and too lazy to shave. The beard really grosses me out. All the rabbit and elk stuck in that hair!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:26 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Wanting a diverse town is not the same as wanting a town that is completely homogeneous.

If they said that they want a town that is close to 100% Asian, because they don't want to live near non-Asians, they would get an earful hear.

Secondly, country of origin is different from ethnicity. A desire to live near people who share a common heritage should not in any way be confused with a desire to live in a community that is completely purged of ethnic minorities.
How do you classify an "ethnic minority", considering whites are only a small part of the global population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey